Zaino Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Zaino Question

Aight, i have been using Liquid glass on my HD for the past 2 years since i bought it. I heard that Tampa did the 10 base coats of LG and then i thought he said he uses Zaino now, and his paint is amazing. I still love the shine that LG gives, but some people are wondering what difference Z and LG will have on the same color paint, so i'm figuring what the heck, i'll be the guinnea pig. I can always go back. But i have some questions for you guys:

Do i need Z1 if i am using zfx and never used Zaino before?

Should i get the Z-7 car wash? or will dawn work for stripping any old crap?

Should i get the Z claybar? or will another brand work?

Do i wash with dawn, then claybar, then wash with Z7 and then polish?

Thanks for any help. I still love the Liquid glass, but i'm up for trying something new. How long does the Z last for? How often should i reapply?

For a 1st time Zaino on my truck, does 2 coats of z5 and 3 coats of z2 sound right? and z6 inbetween every coat?

Sorry for all the questions, but one more, i heard zaino is better for lighter colors and klasse better for darker colors. Would i get better results with klasse? Didn't you say that z makes the paint look wetter and K makes it look deeper or something like that Intel??? I don't have a garage so i can't leave it sit on the truck for 24 hours, so figuring on my conditions, what is best?

How much will all this cost? and exactly what do i need? I added up around 100 bucks for it all, but i'm not sure if i need all the stuff, like if i can get a mothers clay bar instead of a z one, and stuff like that. Not sure what i should do.

thanks alot guys, i will really appreciate any help i can get. And please post pics of Klasse on black, and Z on black, and the products and process you take. Thanks again

Old 07-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Thumbs up

Harley, I recently spetn an entire weekend and did the Zaino thing. The results IMHO are everything I expected and have read about.

I did not use the Clay bar. Didn't think it was necessary with fairly new paint, hardly any chips or residue in the paint and the fact that there's not much acid rain in Idaho.

I followed the instructions which I downloaded off the their web page.

Started by washing with Dawn. Did that twice to get all the wax off. Went to Z1 next, then started applying Z5. Because I had some swirl marks on the hood I ended up doing 5 coats there, but only 3 on the rest of the truck. Per the directions I used Z6 between each coat.

Per the directions once you like the look, start using the Z2, again using Z6 between coats. I ended up putting 2 coats of Z2 on.

I have to admit I was skeptical at first but when I got down, it was well worth the weekend. I have not washed the truck for 1-1/2 months, only rinsed it off and wiped it down. The gloss is still there.

For me it was worth the $$$ and time.

Old 07-07-2002, 09:58 PM
Harley,

"Do i need Z1 if i am using zfx and never used Zaino before?"

No, only use one or the other. If you are going to use the ZFX then you don't need the Z1. I have a silver sport and I didn't use the Z-1 just the Z-2 with ZFX.

"Should i get the Z-7 car wash? or will dawn work for stripping any old crap?"

Use dawn for stripping the wax. I would wash the truck like TRAY said twice with dawn to insure all the wax is off. Z-7 will NOT strip the wax off. I do recommend after using Zaino on it to use the Z-7 car wash it does a really nice job.

"Should i get the Z claybar? or will another brand work?"

I bought the Z clay bar but personally I think what ever clay bar you want to use would be fine. I would think they are all basically the same. Intel would know more about that but using a different clay bar won't affect any of the Zaino products.

"Do i wash with dawn, then claybar, then wash with Z7 and then polish?"

I would wash twice with dawn (maybe over kill but at least you know you have the old wax off), clay if needed, then wash again to insure all the clay residue is off then polish with what ever products you are going to do such as Z-5, Z-2 etc.

As far as how many coats of what it depends on you. If you have no swirl marks then you dont need to use the Z-5. I didn't need to use Z-5 so I didn't even buy it. I did two coats of Z-2 with ZFX the first time with the Z-6 in between. A few weeks after that I did another 2 coats of Z-2 with ZFX NO Z-6 in between. Personally I did not see any difference with using the Z-6 in between so I don't now I think it is a waste of money to do so. It, the Z-6 is awesome and leaves it even slicker then just the Z-2 and it helps remove any polish residue that you may have missed.
I also use the Z-6 after I wash it with the Z-7.

You are right about the comments about Zaino works great for light colors and Klasse for darker colors. When I was doing some research before actually spending the money on Zaino I went to alot of Forums like here, detail forums etc (Intel some of them detail forums could use your assistance ) and thats what most of them said. I believe however Intel would tell you Klasses is best for all and with his knowledge he most likely is right I do love the results I have got with Zaino and like I said my truck is Silver.

Old 07-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Aight thanks for the help guys. I am going to get some z5 because the truck is 2 years old, and i want to hide any imperfections if i can. Also, i'm going to clay it because i never have before. From what i've read so far, here's what i should do:

wash with dawn (i'm only going to do it once cuz i have never waxed before, only used LG and that bakes onto the paint)

claybar

z7 wash

~2 coats of z5 with zfx and z6 after each

~3 coats of z2 with zfx and z6 after each

I also want to get some z16 for the bedmat and tires. And i need to pick up some cotton towells and a new cotton wash mit. If anythings wrong with these steps, let me know. Thanks again for the help.

Old 07-08-2002, 12:16 PM
Sounds good Harley. Let me know what you think when your done.

Old 07-08-2002, 01:31 PM
sure thing. I may not get it RIGHT away. It might be towards the end of the summer, but i'll post the results

thanks again for the help

Old 08-05-2002, 11:18 PM
Unhappy how long does the Zaino treatment last?

Sounds like a lot of work, how long does the Zaino procedure last?

That may be a stupid question but I am new and having a heck of a time keeping the truck looking good, waterspots and rought paint on the hood/roof

2001 shouldnt look like it does, so I will try the steps. I will try anything at this point.

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2002, 12:17 AM
i've heard it last a pretty good amount of time. The hardest part is the initial process, after that its pretty easy. Just use the z7 wash, and some z2 or z5 polish when you want to do that, and some z6 quick detail spray inbetween and it should be fine for a while. I'll probalby do the claybar once a year, and a few coats of Z before winters. But other than that, it'll probalby be once coat of Z2 or Z5 once every month or 2 and every 2-3 weeks in the summer for car show season, with z7 and z6. Sounds like alot, but after the 1st initial process, it isn't htat bad.

www.zainobros.com is the site if you wanna check it out
and www.autopia-carport.com is a great site for detailing info. Not sure if the site is back up yet though.
goodluck!

Old 08-06-2002, 08:09 AM
Thumbs up

Harley#356,

Thanks for the website, that was my next question, havent seen Zaino around here, will probably have to order it

Thanks again

Jason

Old 08-06-2002, 10:30 AM
gustinkos:

I bought my Zaino products right from Zaino. I sent a check in with my order and about 4 days after sending my check I had the products. I couldn't believe how fast he sent them. I thought it would be longer (they usally wait for a personal check to clear). So I was first very impressed with how fast I got my Zaino products.

I mentioned in a post ealier that I had put a few coats on then a few more a few weeks after the first. It's been about 6 - 7 weeks now since the last time I put on any Z-2 and it still looks as shinny. No problems with any water spots. Not even a problem with these nasty *** birds that used it one day for bombing practice, but then again I went stright to the car was after work. I swear I am going to bring my shotgun to work one day .

That's another thing I would add is that I live in an apartment so unless I come here to work and open up on the weekend for washing my truck I have to use a car wash. We have one that is "touchless" so it has a pre-wash or something like that. That stuff takes anything off, especially road grime, but it has yet to take the shine of the Zaino off. I have used it 3 times since my last Zaino application, so I am very impressed with the results.

I will put two more coats on this fall before winter and all the road salt. If it wears off during winter I am really thinking about trying the LG because it sounds like it has a real nice shine to it as well.

Old 08-06-2002, 10:54 AM
water spots

01 XLT Sport,

I am glad you mentioned the water spots, I can remove them with scratch-x or mcguires paint cleaner but after waxing with mcguires gold class, they come right back, fast, probably 2 weeks and I have spots again, and they are not any easier to get off, I am trying the Zaino...cant stand to even have the truck if it doesnt look good.

Thanks

Jason

Old 08-06-2002, 11:54 AM
I will put two more coats on this fall before winter and all the road salt. If it wears off during winter I am really thinking about trying the LG because it sounds like it has a real nice shine to it as well.
If your going for durability i'd stick with zaino. I've heard a few times that it is a little more durable than LG, and they both have comparible shines so...

Old 08-06-2002, 02:41 PM
Harley#356:

That may be true, but after viewing your pictures and deep6blue (hope I got the name right) pictures that LG sure has an awesome shine. I remember you had mentioned something about "you can wax over glass, but you can't glass over wax" So I figure when the Zaino wears off I can try the LG then use Zaino over it and see how it works. I am thinking (hoping) that since the Zaino seems to last quit a while, it will last as long over LG. I am just not sure how it will last over the LG since it won't be able to bond with the paint.

gustinkos:

I think you will really like the Zaino. Before you try it is your truck a light color or dark color? Zaino is suppose to be great for light colors, while Klassie is better for darker colors, and it looks like LG is great on any color. Since your new to this forum I would recommend you ask Intel486 about his opinion. He has a TON of knowledge for car care. Take my Zaino recommendation for what it is, my own experence, where as for Intel486 he has experences with alot of different products and can help you with the water spot problem. I only mention this so you don't spend alot of money on Zaino first before trying maybe something else that may be less money. I have not really used alot of other products, except a few things from like Wal-Mart, Autozone etc. If you have never really done much of your own detailing, like me I have not, wait for Intel468's reply. Just would hate if you spent the money and didn't like your results and then feeling you got bad advice on F150online.

Last edited by 01 XLT Sport; 08-06-2002 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:03 AM
01 XLT Sport:

The truck is black, I didnt know that Zaino was better for light colors, glad you mentioned it.

Intel486:

What do you think, black truck with water spots, if I use scratch-x, I can get the spots off and the paint looks good, I waxed the hood and 1 fender with mcguires gold class and all is good until it rains on it. Spots come back within a week or two. The hood and roof feel rough(and are spotted) and the sides just spot like crazy. The spots are raised marks, not etched or pitted(so far). Its a 2001 and it hasnt been waxed since I got it. It has looked like crap since about 2 weeks after I bought it new last June. The EnviroGuard2000 crap that the dealer put on kept it looking good until I washed it a few times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-07-2002, 11:06 AM
I have black and Zaino is excellent, the guys on the corvette forums also agree. That is why I bought it. I have not tried Klasse but I am very happy with the Zaino shine. When I run out I may try something else. Zaino is great on all colors. There are several dark color Zaino users here as well that will back me up.

Quick Reply: Zaino Question