Rubber Window Moulding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubber Window Moulding?

What do you guys use to keep the rubber outline window moulding black?

My 09 looks like the rubber is already old.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I typically use Back-To-Black on my exterior rubber and plastic -- some guys around here pan it, but I've always had good luck with the product. I've used it religiously on my daily driver '97 Ranger since it was new, and the hard plastic and rubber is still in excellent condition on this vehicle.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 AM
To keep it looking good I'd highly recommend Lexol Vinylex Protectant. it can be found locally, usually at PEP Boys. The only problem with it is that it washes off pretty easily so you should apply it every time you wash.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I clean it with paint polish and a foam pad each detail, it keeps it very rich, and super smooth.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Hey Slim
to keep the rubber outline window moulding black?
Lucky you ! I got a brand new 08' and the trim didn't even > start out < black ! It's like gray, with some funky, streaks of different colors like with rain water on a wet street :-(

I just bought some of that trim dye stuff from ADS though. Need to try that stuff today.... Will report back.

Peace,
Fish

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 AM
I noticed that when I picked up my '09, and it was the same on my previous few F150's... I asked the dealer what the heck they were thinking... he just said it drives him nuts too...

It really bugs me on my Platinum since it is all black and the grayish/oldish looking rubber really sticks out.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Okay, just reporting back on that stuff I got from ADS...

It's called "Showroom Restorer Black"..... and unfortunately, not surprisingly, it didn't work on my effed' up trim either :-(

On the first pass, it looks like it was going to, but as it soaked in, it started getting streaky, and as it dried, it looked worse than without it :-(

Next, I took some of the {hated by most} Ice liquid, and wiped over the trim, before the stuff was fully dry. That wiped off the black dye stuff (I could tell by how black the micro-fiber towel got) and made it look better than anything else.

Still only dark gray, with some streaking.... but better :-(

I HATE F150 trim rubber :-( Anybody that feels any different, has to have different trim rubber on their trucks. But then again, I hear from a fair number of other F150 owners (like Mickey above) who say the same stuff about their trim as I do. So, it's not just an isolated thing.

Fish

Last edited by Fish Chris; 07-28-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by slimcubby
What do you guys use to keep the rubber outline window moulding black?

My 09 looks like the rubber is already old.
You might want to look into Megs # 39 & #40. ADS sells both.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Okay, just reporting back on that stuff I got from ADS...

It's called "Showroom Restorer Black"..... and unfortunately, not surprisingly, it didn't work on my effed' up trim either :-(

On the first pass, it looks like it was going to, but as it soaked in, it started getting streaky, and as it dried, it looked worse than without it :-(

Next, I took some of the {hated by most} Ice liquid, and wiped over the trim, before the stuff was fully dry. That wiped off the black dye stuff (I could tell by how black the micro-fiber towel got) and made it look better than anything else.

Still only dark gray, with some streaking.... but better :-(

I HATE F150 trim rubber :-( Anybody that feels any different, has to have different trim rubber on their trucks. But then again, I hear from a fair number of other F150 owners (like Mickey above) who say the same stuff about their trim as I do. So, it's not just an isolated thing.

Fish
Fish, from what you describe it sounds like you put the product on too heavy/thick. A little goes a long way. I did both my '05 & '94 f150s and after a year I am still pleased with the results. I used the 1 inch foam throw-away bushes and applied it lightly, some people use wax applicators, cut up or whole. I put three coats on over two days. I maintain the trim with Megs #39 & # 40. Both trucks are outside vehicles, the boat goes under the canopy.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 PM
To the OP, for your 09, just hit it with BlackWow....you'll be impressed....lasts for a VERY long time...

After you apply it, dry buff it off, and you're done...a little goes a long way and once treated with BW you can simply use something like HD to keep it up even longer

BW works extremely well. I'd give that a shot before using the Showroom dye product. For you 09, it cannot be that bad.

RR

Old 07-29-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks RR... I'm going to give BW a shot! I found it on Amazon.com for $25... is there anywhere local (noticed you are in North Tx) that carries it for a similar price?

http://www.amazon.com/Black-WOW-Exte.../dp/B00144FZUG

You would be surprised how bad the '09 is off the showroom floor, it stood out for sure. We've got an Expedition as well, so I'll be using the BW on it as well...

Old 07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Ya' know Clambelly, with all due respect, I don't think so.

This whole effed' up F150 trim thing, is something which a good % of owners can totally relate to, and the rest (with normal trim) just have no idea what we are trying to explain.

I'm telling you, my trim (and apparently many others) was screwed up straight from the factory, and I'm not so sure their is a product which could possibly fix it :-(

Peace,
Fish

PS, I'd REALLY love to try that Black Wow..... But I have SO little confidence that it would help my factory effed' up trim, and I'd be pissed if I spent $25 on the stuff, only to find out I threw away $25 and my trim still sucked ****....

Last edited by Fish Chris; 07-29-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM
PS, I'd REALLY love to try that Black Wow..... But I have SO little confidence that it would help my factory effed' up trim, and I'd be pissed if I spent $25 on the stuff, only to find out I threw away $25 and my trim still sucked ****....
I hear ya'... I'm willing to give it a shot because I really haven't tried anything else beyond Armour All... it bugs me enough that I'm willing to toss $25 at it and see what happens. Okay, I'll admit... I have a $25 credit with Amazon that will make this a free experiment for me...

Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Well hey Mickey, I'm really anxious to hear how that works for you. Since it sounds like your trim is just as troublesome as mine, if that Black Wow actually works for you, I guess I'd have to consider it myself.

Best of luck,
Fish

Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 AM
Ya' know Clambelly, with all due respect, I don't think so.

This whole effed' up F150 trim thing, is something which a good % of owners can totally relate to, and the rest (with normal trim) just have no idea what we are trying to explain.

I'm telling you, my trim (and apparently many others) was screwed up straight from the factory, and I'm not so sure their is a product which could possibly fix it :-(

Peace,
Fish

Fish, Showroom New is a dye that is made to treat faded plastics. You can get it for either gray or black plastics. I have used it before successfully. You need to apply it with a foam paint brush or something of the sort. Spread it out as far much as you can, but still giving an even application. Make sure there isn't extra residue after 15 minutes of letting sit dry, if there is, wipe it off.

Follow up with the same procedure a few days later, and you can even do it again a few days later after that.

It will NOT make your trim nice and shiny like it was just dressed because it is a Dye, not a dressing. It will however dye your trim black and then make it ready for a dressing to be applied to make it shiny. This is when you could use Black Wow, which will keep it shiny and enhance it's depth of color.

Quick Reply: Rubber Window Moulding?