Light color paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light color paint

This is a long post so I apologize up front. I have a silver 07 and I’m trying to formulate a car care method both external and internal. The posts in this section are all good but it’s almost too much information. I have never used a clay bar and had never even heard of one until I started reading about it on this forum. Still not sure how it’s used but that’s easy enough to look up and not really the topic of this post. Like most, I have a lot of car care crap carried over year after year and I would love to throw most of it away. So far I have “waxed” this truck twice. I have never used a clay bar and have never used dish soap on it. I have only used NXT in a single coat application and I use the two bucket system with Gold Classic wash. On the interior I use Gold Classic Rich Leather non spray and a QD. I have not found anything for the tires and the white lettering is now almost black. I would love to really bring out the silver in the truck and to protect it. I live in AZ but will be moving to MN later next month and want to get into a system now to prep for the new climate. I don’t have a power buffer and don’t really want one right now. I use a microfiber sponge and microfiber towels from Auto Zone. I have a tire brush with soft bristles that really does a great job in making my tires look like crap. I don’t mind spending time doing it right but don’t want to spend every weekend detailing my truck either. My wife would probably burn it to the ground if I did that. Speaking of the wife, she has a 07 forest green Honda Pilot. Being that my superior Ford is a light color and her choice of transportation is dark will I need to have two systems? For those of you who read all of this and can offer advice I thank you.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Keep it simple, it seems that you arent going for the professional look but just trying to keep them nice...

1) wash with dish soap get all that wax off there (two bucket)
2) Clay bar use plunty of QD or lubricating spray (very easy and adds a very noticible difference)
3) wash again with NXT wash or whatever (2 bucket)
4) Meguiars #21
5) Caranuba wax (Meguiars yellow, S100, P21s)

as for the tires I would go with either some diluted simple green or I like Bleach White tire cleaner works like magic....

Interior I have some Meguiars Aloe conditoner and cleaner, and just vaccummed regularly, my new truck i am going to seal the interior with some 303 aerospace fabric gaurd, and use 303 aerospace on the vinyl...

thats a simple, straight forward way to get your truck nice and clean, not give you proffessonal glass reflective paint (that would requiar a DA polisher)

Hope this gives a little help...

Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 PM
You absolutely need to use a clay bar. This is the most important first step to smooth, clean paint. It makes a difference that you can actually feel, and it is easy.

Just be sure to use plenty of lube (most clay kits come with lube) or just use a good quality QD as a lube. I can clay my whole truck in less than half an hour.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:18 PM
just some real quick thoughts for you:

Clay. your paint will thank you.

Meg's Gold Class wash is fine .. No need to use Dawn, your truck is new, and you have only used NXT on it, so there isn't a lot of old stuff to worry about stripping off.

Replace your microfiber wash sponge with a good quality lambs woll wash mitt.

Try simple green and a good, stiff tire brush for the lettering on your tires. If that doesn't work, there are some stronger things you can try.

- Clay
- Wash with Gold Class
- Wax with NXT x2
- Wax with Meg's #26 , S100 or Mother's Pure Carnauba as a final step if you wish for extra depth. (you will get more bang out of this on your wife's pilot, than you will your truck, as the impact is more evident on darker colors)

as for the light versus dark, NXT will do a nice job on both .. there are some sealants/waxes that look better on lighter colors, but most of them are only available online, and can get a little pricey. so you can use two systems if you want, but the need is not really there, especially if your main goal is protection.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:23 PM
i just did a detail last weekend...i used the Meguairs clay kit and then a cleaner wax and then 2 coats of gold class wax and it looks and feels great...hope that helps...have any more questions just ask...

Old 05-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree 100% with Gip's suggestion...

Food for thought and a decent read if you're interested in looking at a Silver Car specifically... I detailed this one a few weeks back...

FULL DETAIL - 2000 SILVER MUSTANG LX

Old 05-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
- Wax with Meg's #26 , S100 or Mother's Pure Carnauba as a final step if you wish for extra depth. (you will get more bang out of this on your wife's pilot, than you will your truck, as the impact is more evident on darker colors)
This isn't to discount anything you said, but I'm not sure I agree with the statement in parentesis. It's for the better though.

Yes, the pilot will get more depth, but being an owner of a silver F-150, I know that the #26 topper (my usual scheme is NXT + #26) REALLY brings out the flake of the silver. Also, the flake takes on a darker, wetter, and deeper look with the carnauba topper.

So yes, the #26 is a GREAT addition to any scheme

Old 05-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
This isn't to discount anything you said, but I'm not sure I agree with the statement in parentesis. It's for the better though.

Yes, the pilot will get more depth, but being an owner of a silver F-150, I know that the #26 topper (my usual scheme is NXT + #26) REALLY brings out the flake of the silver. Also, the flake takes on a darker, wetter, and deeper look with the carnauba topper.

So yes, the #26 is a GREAT addition to any scheme
Interesting .. I always found the flake on my silver trans am popped more if I didn't top it with a carnauba, and left the #21 as the LSP ..

I wonder if it is a difference in paint, or eyeballs ??

Old 05-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Gipraw
Interesting .. I always found the flake on my silver trans am popped more if I didn't top it with a carnauba, and left the #21 as the LSP ..

I wonder if it is a difference in paint, or eyeballs ??
I'm guessing eyeballs...

While I haven't done a boatload of silver vehicles... only a couple in fact... I can see a difference between carnauba and non... I like it with. *shrugs*

Opinions... they're great.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I agree 100% with Gip's suggestion...

Food for thought and a decent read if you're interested in looking at a Silver Car specifically... I detailed this one a few weeks back...

FULL DETAIL - 2000 SILVER MUSTANG LX
Very impressive. I will tell you that I find cleaning my truck very therapeutic. I also enjoy mowing the lawn. Both activities enable me to tune out the rest of the world, listen to some good music and just get lost for a few hours.

I read in the mustang thread that you use DF towels mixed in with some other types but what should I use to apply the different waxes and does it matter if the wax is a paste or liquid? Also, I have the luxury pkg so how often should I condition the leather and is the megs QD good enough to detail the rest of the interior or should I be using something else?

Old 05-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks

Also, thanks to Gipraw and to f-150sport03 for taking the time to respond.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:58 AM
your welcome....good luck

Old 05-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Big Krackers
Very impressive. I will tell you that I find cleaning my truck very therapeutic. I also enjoy mowing the lawn. Both activities enable me to tune out the rest of the world, listen to some good music and just get lost for a few hours.

I read in the mustang thread that you use DF towels mixed in with some other types but what should I use to apply the different waxes and does it matter if the wax is a paste or liquid? Also, I have the luxury pkg so how often should I condition the leather and is the megs QD good enough to detail the rest of the interior or should I be using something else?
It is therapy for me. Between my yard and my vehicles... well, I'd never argue with as soul that I'm obcessive compulsive... I have to do that type of stuff or I simply won't make it.

DF Towels are my favorite. They're super soft and are regarded by many high-end detailers to be the best... period.

That said, I have a few... but, it's not my full stash. I roam between a few brands and have some standbys. I will rotate towels once they're getting a bit grungy and move them to 'wheel' status. Once they've left wheel status, they typically become garbagio... or incorporated in to the interior house stash for cleanups or similar.

As for application... I'd recommend a nice foam applicator for finishing products. For polishing, I'd recommend a 100% cotton-terry applicator... I find that they have a little more cutting action.

Best yet, you could upgrade to a machine. Specifically, the G-100 (PC 7424) for applying the products. To 9 out of 10 people who buy this machine, it's a great investment. There are the occasional few that find it to be total waste of funds (that is a rare exception though).

If you want more info on the G-100, visit www.autodetailingsolutions.com and look at their dual-action polisher kits. They have the best prices on the web and oodles upon oodles of us deal with Rick (the owner) on a regular basis.

As for your leather...

Tough call. My best advice is to do it as needed. Leather is skin and, as such, it needs to be cleaned, conditioned, and taken care of so that it doesn't become a problem point.

I would advise to use a separate cleaner and a separate conditioner product. I'm not much on one-step products when it comes to leather. My two personal favorites -- and I use these on my KR's interior as well -- are the Rich Aloe Cleaner and Rich Aloe Conditioner. Again, you can snare these at ADS or maybe at your local Pep Boys.

If you must have a routine... I'd recommend to do it quarterly at a minimum -- especially during the summer months.

-RP-

Old 05-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
If you want more info on the G-100, visit www.autodetailingsolutions.com and look at their dual-action polisher kits. They have the best prices on the web and oodles upon oodles of us deal with Rick (the owner) on a regular basis.
Just spent about $50 +s/h and tax on supplies. I looked at the G100 and I guess if I find that between my truck and the Pilot time becomes an issue I will go that rout. I have never used one before and don't want to screw up my paint so I will be asking a lot more questions if I get one. Thanks again guys for the help.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM
LRG
Just a quick comment on the G100. Do some research on them, I bet the more you learn about them the more you'll want one. They are simply outstanding for removing light scratches and swirls/spiderwebs. This might be especially useful on your wife's pilot since dark colors show swirls so much. You'll get results that you just won't get by hand. It's also much faster to use a machine and you won't get nearly as worn out doing it. Get your feet wet with the stuff people already recommended and when you're ready to take it to the next level, the G100 is the tool for the job.

Quick Reply: Light color paint