cleaning my black truck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry cleaning my black truck!

how do u guys with black trucks get the water spots off, i have tryed drying and everything and yet they are still there! is there something i am missing? thanks!

Old 05-20-2006, 03:04 PM
I don't have a black truck but I have the dark chestnut and I get spots too. I use Meguiar's quick detailer each time after I wash. Rock Pick may have some ideas. Try not to wash the truck on bright sunny days. Find a shady area to wash under! Use a good microfiber towel to dry the vehicle after washing. It may be your water, you may need a water conditioner! Just my opinion!

Old 05-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
repaint the truck white On my old black truck I used the after wash spray detailer nothing else seemed to work.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
My recommended regimen for Black truck owners who are trying keep their vehicles in tip-top condition:

* Select small arm of choice.
* Insert ammunition clip in said small arm and insert a shell into the firing chamber.
* Insert "business end" of small arm into mouth at a slightly upward angle.
* Pull trigger.
* Repeat as needed.

There -- your problems are now solved!

Old 05-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Get an inline water softner for your hose... I use this out in Arizona, we have extremely hard water and it works great. Also use Microfibers to dry your vehicle and when doing so purchase some Adam's Polishes Detail Spray and spray it on your truck while you are drying it... Watch video here...

http://www.adamspolishes.com/videos/car_wash_dry.cfm

Old 05-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Yep, what they said. Don't let the water dry on your truck when you wash it.

If you have a lot of spots built up on there, you may have to claybar/polish/wax.

I live in a hard water area and have a Mr Clean filter/softner thingy for rinsing off.

Your black (with some effort) can look like this.....

Old 05-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Use a Mr. Clean Auto Dry. It has a built in water softener. The only water spots I get are from where the water collects at, like under the mirrors and then it drips on the truck, under the bed rail covers, etc.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Mr. Clean auto dry is the cheapest way. I have a water softner system on my house that does wonders and its even hooked up to my sprinklers, works great but at 3k its a little pricey. 5 minutes after washing my truck yesterday it rained and the pollin was all over it.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:35 PM
My wife has a black truck and I fight the same water spot battle. We have hard water and its impossible to keep the spots off. I wash in the early morning, before the sun hits the truck, which helps. I've also tried the tricks like vinegar and water which didn't help.

I'm not prepared to pay the 3k for a water softner. If you find any other way to fix this please let me know.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by cscoios
My wife has a black truck and I fight the same water spot battle. We have hard water and its impossible to keep the spots off. I wash in the early morning, before the sun hits the truck, which helps. I've also tried the tricks like vinegar and water which didn't help.

I'm not prepared to pay the 3k for a water softner. If you find any other way to fix this please let me know.
Mr. Clean Auto Dry - $25 for the whole kit
$5 for soap
$5 for filters.
Each bottle of soap and filter last me like 6 - 8 car washes

Old 05-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Mr. Clean Auto Dry - $25 for the whole kit
$5 for soap
$5 for filters.
Each bottle of soap and filter last me like 6 - 8 car washes
I've used this before, but it doesn't remove water spots that are already there.

I use my PC and the three step system, still can't remove etched-in water spots.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by cscoios
I've used this before, but it doesn't remove water spots that are already there.

I use my PC and the three step system, still can't remove etched-in water spots.
I agree Mr. Clean didn't work for me, but I'm in Arizona and this water is so hard.. I guess it depends on where you live.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:38 PM
You have to be carefull washing dark colored cars. Here in New Orleans we have some pretty hard water and I have had mostly dark cars and fought the same battle with the spots. A few tricks I have learned and I have no water softener and do not use the Mr. Clean system.

First as you wash the car keep the entire car wet until you are ready to dry the whole car. I figured this out on the very first black car I owned. I would start at the roof and work my way down with the wash. So by the time I was ready to dry som water spots were already formed on the roof, hood, and trunk. I keep the whole car/truck wet the entire time.

Also don't try to wash the whole car before rinsing. I do the roof, rinse; hood, rinse; trunk, rinse; and so on. After I rinse each panel I go back to the roof and re-spray the whole car.

I use the california blade to get most of the water off then I give it a final wipe down with an absorber. Very rarely do I get waterspots other than from collection of dripping water from crevices. I let it sit and then I take the damp absorber and wipe thoes away.

Done deal and no water spots.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT
You have to be carefull washing dark colored cars. Here in New Orleans we have some pretty hard water and I have had mostly dark cars and fought the same battle with the spots. A few tricks I have learned and I have no water softener and do not use the Mr. Clean system.

First as you wash the car keep the entire car wet until you are ready to dry the whole car. I figured this out on the very first black car I owned. I would start at the roof and work my way down with the wash. So by the time I was ready to dry som water spots were already formed on the roof, hood, and trunk. I keep the whole car/truck wet the entire time.

Also don't try to wash the whole car before rinsing. I do the roof, rinse; hood, rinse; trunk, rinse; and so on. After I rinse each panel I go back to the roof and re-spray the whole car.

I use the california blade to get most of the water off then I give it a final wipe down with an absorber. Very rarely do I get waterspots other than from collection of dripping water from crevices. I let it sit and then I take the damp absorber and wipe thoes away.

Done deal and no water spots.
Those California blades do work well.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 PM
cscoios,

My wifes black escape had spotting and swirles and it took 3 passes with a PC and a swirl remover/ cutting pad to remove them. Once done I coated it with 3 coates of sealant. After washing the escape I dry it and then use a liquid spray sealant to add more protection. THis has worked for me!!

Nebraska

Quick Reply: cleaning my black truck!