Cleaner Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaner Wax?

Went to Advanced Auto the other day to buy some more wax, and I came upon Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. How do you use this stuff? It says to appy like normal wax and remove normally. Do you use this on your wax inbetween wax periods or what?? Use it before you wax to strip the old off and then wax? Or after you wax?

Old 02-27-2006, 06:18 PM
i will use it in the three step process. I'll use it as step one if only the application is the first time i'm waxing that vehicle because it has alot of swirls or the paint just shows alot of signs of abuse. Because from what I have read it is somewhat abhrasive, hence "cleaner wax".

You want to use this FIRST though as it will delete any wax job your about to do. Only thing reccommended to do before is use a rubbing compound, scrath x, or any other product for buffing out scratches.

after cleaner wax I will apply a polishing wax, then on top of that I will apply a thick wax such a carnuba.

After all this you end up with a great sealed paint job that shines and protects like no other!

after I do the 3 step I won't use cleaner wax for a very long time

Old 02-27-2006, 08:30 PM
I do the cleaner wax, then polish wax followed by Meguiar's Tech wax, then two coats of carnuba! Check out Meguiar's website or Mother's, both are pretty good!

Old 02-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cleaner wax will strip off anything under it, such as scratch x or any glazes. I personally will only use a cleaner wax on a customers car door jams because it will clean and leave a little protection. I think there are much better prducts out there for waxing.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by 2005fx4
The cleaner wax will strip off anything under it, such as scratch x or any glazes. I personally will only use a cleaner wax on a customers car door jams because it will clean and leave a little protection. I think there are much better prducts out there for waxing.
on the back of the label of meguiars cleaner wax it actually RECCOMENDS that you use scratch x BEFORE you apply it.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It won't necessarily strip 'everything' off but, being that it's a 'cleaner' wax, it will certainly remove some...

A cleaner wax is typically designed for the folks who don't want to put a massive amount of time into their finish and want a 'one step' product of sorts. Being that it's a cleaner, it will deal with some of your surficial scratches and swirls but will also leave behind a layer of protection. I use them on occasion and have had pretty good results with Meg's cleaner wax. For a client who wants a simple 'wash and wax' and no 'full-detail', this is typically the type of product that most detailers (including me) will utilize.

RP

Old 02-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Maybe I should give it a try again. I have never been a big fan of meguiers products. Ive got a bad habit of trying alot of new products and if it dont impress me the first time I try it I usually give up on it. I do use 16 alot when all the customer wants is a wash and wax though.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Moderator &

*drools*

#16 is my favorite LSP.... especially on my BLACK.

Like you, I get frustrated when I can't get a product to work like I want it (or expect it) to work... I've sat products down for the same reason. Typically though, I'll come back to it after reading more about it and maybe asking a few more questions. 9 times out of 10 I'll find that I wasn't using it quite right or was missing a 'hint' that someone had discovered.

In all honesty, there are some SUPERIOR products out there from just about every brand on the planet... It boils down to finding a few products that you like and using them as your 'backbone'. You can always branch out and experiment but, all in all, if the experiment goes bad, you have your backbone products to fall back on...

My backbone products are:

Poorboy's Spray and Wipe (thanks Boss!)
Meguiar's Final Detail (discontinued)
4-Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer
Meguiar's #16 Wax (also discontinued)
#80 Speed Glaze
Meguiar's Hyper Dressing (LOVE this stuff!)
Collinite Insulator Wax
Vinylex

Old 02-27-2006, 11:04 PM
RP your backbone products are very similar to mine except I never have been a fan of 80, I usually use poorboys ssrs or menzena polishes. Also I love Adams vrt as oposed to vinylex, although I do like vinylex alot.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:05 PM
What is Meguiar's Hyper Dressing?

Old 02-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Moderator &

Man... I've worked a couple of miracles with #80. I know it's rich with the polishing oils and thus does it's own level of masking but, I really like it. I've never tried the Menzenas but, I have tried some (not all) of the SSRs... They're good but I always seem to go back to Meg's polishes --- but, like you mentioned earlier, it's probably because I understand them, know them, and know their limitations and abilities. I don't have that level of confidence with PB's or anyone else -- yet.

Meguiar's Hyper Dressing is a water-based dressing that is dilutable. Dilutability makes this a product that is, literally, 4 or 5 dressings in one.

I use it 1:1 for a high shine on tires and wheel wells.... and all the way down to 4 or 5:1 for a matte, natural looking finish. By having this ability to dilute, I can custom taylor the look for a client's vehicle (in short, if they want high shine, I have high shine -- they want low shine or no shine, I have that too -- all in one product).

RP

Old 02-28-2006, 09:03 AM
RP, I thought it was meguiars final inspection? I didn't know if was discontinued either

Being on the commercial high volume end, I can't always use things like those, the expense is sometimes just to great. I buy professional products off the blue coral detail truck since it comes to me and I know the guy so I beat him up on price. We got together and kinda created our own wax involving mixing a couple of products he had on the truck, and after a couple years, they came out with a product that was exactly what we were mixing.

Unfortunately, unless you're a commercial location, most can't buy what I use. They are great products though

Velvet Cut for light removals
Revive it for wax
Sealtek for sealants

But I do sell Meguiars stuff in my lobby

Old 02-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by 98Navi
RP, I thought it was meguiars final inspection? I didn't know if was discontinued either
FI (#34) is still alive and well... I was referring to FD-51. Final Detail was an old 'D-Line' product. It's been replaced by "Last Touch".

Old 02-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Exclamation

Why do so many steps once again spend all weekend detailing or all weekend driving? A liquid carnuba from Jax Wax in Ohio will clean and wax at the same time. One Step. And after a week of driving use a body shine (quick detailer for that just waxed look NO HAZE. Make it simple i like to drive my Ford and show it off on the road not in the driveway. And yes my Semi LOOKS GREAT ALL THE TIME with little to no effort email this guy he will hook u up or answer any ?'s cstump@jaxwax.us tell him driver4077 sent ya

Old 02-28-2006, 11:12 AM
^you are brand new and in your first three posts you have plugged this jaxwax. Is this your business? Are you some sort of vendor? Something is fishy...

Quick Reply: Cleaner Wax?