? For Guys with Black trucks.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? For Guys with Black trucks.....

I've been looking at new trucks and really Love the black. I've just always been told that Black is soo hard to keep clean and it shows every little scratch. Is this true? Is it really that hard to keep clean? Like I said, I love ther black but not to sure I want to be married to my wash bucket to keep it looking good. If not black, what other colors look real good when all shined up? And dont say Yellow...you cant get it anymore

BREW

Old 07-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Well, Brewdude I just traded my 04screw black for a 05screw mediumwedgewood blue. Well I gotta say the blue is alot easier to take care of. But I find myself thinking that the black when washed and waxed is by far the finest Ford out there. If you have the time to keep a black truck cleaned then get the black. My 05 blue is a 4x4 and plan on putting it to use during duck hunting season thats why I got a blue instead of another black. Good luck. Both trucks are good looking.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Black is hard as a **** to keep looking good.

But when you do it right, it will shine real nice.

when I bought mine it already had the paint a
little dull but I will get it painted before the end
of the year, and guess what........
it will be BLACK!!!!

Old 07-21-2005, 07:29 PM
It's a love/hate realationship for me with black.

It shows EVERYTHING, i mean, like RP's said before, "if you stare at black long enough, it'll scrtach" I am extremely careful, i use the "2 bucket technique" wash EVERY weekend (haven't missed one yet, i think it's been 6 or 7 mos, i have issues) with a good, new mit, microfiber to dry,....yada yada yada......it just doesnt matter. In the direct sunlight, or more predominately in the garage under the fluorescents i can see scratches and chit all over the hood and fenders. I now think fluorescent bulbs are manufactured in cahoots by the wax industry....it's a conspiracy

Example of why black can suck: Where i work, there's a fishing lake a couple blocks away. Lakes attract flying insects. All summer long the little bastard bugs (one kind only) think my black hood is the reflective lake and lay there larve or eggs or whatever on my truck, but it's so hot the instantly stick to it along with a little white "poop". I swear. When it first started happening i thought about quitting and working somewhere else......j/k family biz,but really it does sucks.

All my freinds think im nuts, and my fiance, she knows i am. She begged me not to get black to begin with....and now when i complain, well you can guess what she says....

On a more serious note though, dont get black if you want an easy to maintain good looking paint job. Go with pretty much anything else, except maybe dark blue or red maybe? i see red cars that look like crap all over.

Happy Truck Huntin!

Old 07-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Suspended
All dark colors, true blue, Black, red show off every little scratch, I hate white, to bla blah but White is less maintance, even with the scratch's on a darker truck, they still look good...My 04 is black, and it's a work truck, every scratch is telling a story of where I was or what I was hauling...Your not going to see the out side of your truck when your driving it and every year or so you can touch them up with a buffer...

Old 07-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This from a guy who LOVES his black truck and knows how to take care of it...

I'll never own another one and I've only had this one for 7 months unless I have a garage queen (ie: 67' Vette). Nuff said.

I don't care how good you are with paint, you're going to have problems with black. It's a given. There's always an area to polish to remove spider webbing... there's always a blemish visible.... there's always a layer of dust on it.... there's always 'something' that distracts....

On the flip side, it's beautiful the 2 minutes once I'm finished putting a coat of 16 on it... only two minutes though. Once that time has elapsed, the dust is back and I'm hunting for a QD spray to start the entire process over again...

Never once has owning black been easy. Never has it been a downhill coast... it's non-stop work. Granted, I'm pretty much as close to a perfectionist as it comes when it comes to working with paint (and I'm far from being perfect)... black is a pure monster with three heads, really sharp teeth, and an appetite that begs for blood.

RP

Old 07-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
..............This from a guy who LOVES his black truck and knows how to take care of it...

I'll never own another one
.............. Nuff said.

RP

DITTO for me........maybe, thats what i said with my last truck too.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
black is a pure monster with three heads, really sharp teeth, and an appetite that begs for blood.

RP

So what are you saying?? I shouldn't get Black?? your post just wasnt clear enough....

Thanks guys..thats what I thought. But I have to admit, theres nothing better looking than a clean black truck (except yellow, of course) But like I said, I dont want to, nor do I have the time to be married to my wash bucket. This may not happen, if Ford can somehow fix my truck. I LOVE the truck, the yellow, the black leather, yada yada..If I could get an 05 in Yellow, id be at the dealership tomorrow. I try to get a new color everytime I get a new car or truck. Ive been thru silver, blue, dark grey, white, red, toreador red, white again and now yellow. Im really leaning towards True blue or wedgewood. Guess I'll have to wait and see. 2 things I wish Ford would do...1.. offer the KR with Black leather and 2...offer the lariat with the carbon fiber dash. I dont hate the wood dash, im just not a big fan of it.

BREW

Old 07-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The KR is supposed to have a 'redder leather' interior in the coming months... so says my contact at Ford... it's not black but, definitely a bit different.

Black is a great color... it's beautiful but, if you're interested in it looking good ALL the time, it's an uphill battle.

-RP-

Old 07-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Go with theDark stone!

Old 07-22-2005, 09:41 AM
my new truck is silver and i'm not as happy with it as i thought i'd be.no big shine,reflection or pop to the paint.my old truck was dark shadow gray and after the NXT was applied ,STAND BACK,the shine was incredible.there was more work involved in keeping the dsg clean(pollen,dew spots)than the silver,next truck I will def.go back to dsg.check out my pics of both trucks after polish and wax.

Last edited by houtxstx; 07-22-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:10 AM
well, i tried the 'wash the new truck a couple times of week' deal- pain in the butt. black either looks awesome like RP says for the 2 mins directly after giving it a good shine, or gooooood mud bath where its still black, but you get a good healthy splash on the sides... lately, the yellow pollen adds a nice touch--gives it a nice bumble bee effect

Old 07-22-2005, 10:11 AM
I had looked at and researched the new F150s for over a year. It was time to buy (April 05). I had my mind set on a black FX4 with black leather interior. My wife ALSO tried to get me not to buy the truck because it was completely black and she knows how I am with my vehicles. For three months I worked myself to death and worried about the truck. I also QD about every day or two, dust can’t be explained. The interior was just as bad if not worse. I would vacuum and vacuum and still not get everything up. I couldn’t keep the leather looking he way I wanted, cleaning and conditioning every weekend. I was really worried about if I would be satisfied in a few years. I ended up trading for a new toreador red Lariat with tan interior. The black FX4 was really sharp, but I am much happier with the new truck and I really like the Lariat. I will never own another black truck, but what it boils down to is get what YOUR happy with and will enjoy.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Having a black truck is a lot of work, and sometimes (sometimes) it is worth it. Just as everyone has said before, you drive it down the road after a car wash (whether you do it yourself or at a car wash) it is visibly dirty again.

I am having second thoughts on my next truck being black.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have a black F-150 and a black Expedition. When i go down the road, the trucks that really jump out to be noticed are usually black. Even a dusty black is sharper to me than a clean white. My truck I traded in on the current one was black. My next vehicle will be black. If the did away with black, I think I would go with the silver, even though it will not shine like the black.

Quick Reply: ? For Guys with Black trucks.....