How do you guys keep wax off your flares?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you guys keep wax off your flares?

I've had my 05 FX4 about a month now and I'm going to be putting a coat of wax on it soon.
One of the first things I noticed was how tight it was between the paint and the flares. So last weekend while I was at Target getting some supplies I also picked up a roll of 3M masking tape so I could run a strip around each flare. Is that how you guys do it?

Old 05-25-2005, 11:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I often use masking tape... also, I'll utilize a trick I learned here from someone (can't remember who to give credit to though)... take a piece of very thin cardboard and cut a small piece off (I prefer a straight edge). As you're working near the item that you don't want wax to get on, hold the cardboard between the applicator and the item you want to keep clean.

Obviously, rubbing cardboard on your paint isn't recommended and thus, the reason that I also typically utilize a MF towel between the cardboard and the paint... it's a little tricky holding two items (towel/cardboard) but, it works well for me...

RP

Old 05-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I use the masking tape here, as well. Takes about 10 minutes to mask everything off, and it IS kind of a pain to do, but it sure beats the heck out of trying to get that wax residue off your plastic trim!

Old 05-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Masking is something that I'll be doing in the future, or maybe trying the method RP suggested. I waxed the truck about a week ago and thought "I'll just be real careful and take my time around the plastic and no wax will get on".

Wrong! Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the wax residue off the flares, buckets, and bed caps. I may have to resort to the ole Magic Eraser.

Initially I thought I had done a pretty good job, as I couldn't see any wax on the plastic trim. Then about a day or so later the white haze starts showing up .

Old 05-26-2005, 08:28 AM
While polising and waxing I keep a cup of Quick Detailer and an old tooth brush handy. I soon as I remove the wax from finder or bed I wet the tooth brush and remove any wax or polish and wipe the area again with a MF towel. Seems to work pretty good.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Believe it or not, one of the reasons I bought and XLT this time around instead of an ORP / FX4 package (like my last 4 trucks) was those darn textured flares. I'm with Rockpick on this one as for recommending masking tape if you have them. What a pain though!

Old 05-26-2005, 01:45 PM
...or start using a wax you can get on your flares and not have to freak out over . I am a die-hard adam's polishes fan (no, my name doesn't correspond to adams')... you can get it on the bed rails, door handles, flares, etc. it doesn't leave the icky residue other waxes do, and I think it lasts longer too.
www.adamspolishes.com

Old 05-26-2005, 01:55 PM
maybe try having a wet cloth handy, works for me, i slip up at least a few times every wax, scurry for the cloth and presto, no residue.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Matt brings a good point... there are oodles of products on the market that don't leave a white residue...

Old 05-26-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't like white residue... lol. And this wax is so damn reflective I was completely unable to get a good picture of my truck when it was parked at the SEMA show last year, because you could hardly see the paint through the reflection. That was just with the adams polish, not even the wax! Ugh, hopefully I"ll get some better pictures this year.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
That's a sharp-looking example of the previous body style, mattadams!

Old 05-27-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't wax my truck. Seriously though, that is one of the reasons I didn't go with the FX4 this time around. I can't stand waxing my truck to begin with, so I wanted the easy way out. I wax the truck on Memorial weekend and Labor day weekend, that is enough for me.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Thats one tough looking truck Mattadams. I like those nerf bars.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:35 PM
MattAdams,

I agree with you about Adam's Polishes. I discovered it this summer and am hooked on their products. With each wash job, I spray the Detail Spray on the vehicle just before drying it. I'm amazed with the results. Smells good too. lol Have you used the tire dressing? VRT? Their prices may be a bit higher than others, but I just want the best.

Later...

Old 12-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use masking tape on plastic parts

Quick Reply: How do you guys keep wax off your flares?