Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to Fix a Defective Window Switch

Old 02-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great write up. I actually bought a new switch of eBay and have been using it for the past couple of years but the finish on the buttons and the leds didn't quite match by Harley's switches. I just cleaned my old factory switch that I had kept for some reason and tested it out and all is good. I'll save the newer switch and use my factory buttons from the original switch when it dies.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really appreciate

Really would like to thank you....you just save me some $....thank you very much...i did everything step by step....works like a charm...

Old 05-08-2017, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might want to check for a broken wire between the door and body inside the big rubber tube/grommet. My drivers side door lock switch would not unlock the passenger side but would lock it. Worked both ways on drivers side...Bought a new switch and still nothing...so I checked the wiring harness between the door...the pink/yellow wire coming from the door lock switch had been soldered back together by previous owner...it was apart...not much play in the wires but i was able to strip both ends and put a butt connector that's also shrink tube...put a piece of metal under the butt connector to protect the other wires, then used a heat gun on low. Also found another wire they soldered...did that one as well while I was at it...dont know where that wire went to. Ford needs to have more play in the wires and maybe they wouldn't break from repeated door openings. My Truck is a 2006 F-150 XL..

Old 04-21-2020, 06:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jims94vmx
Just for giggles I played with the override switch to lock out the other controls and then hit the rear window and it went up (thank goodness, before the incoming storms). I might have a bad contact in the over ride switch. When I talked with my local dealership they told me all the power goes thru the main drivers switches first, so I will play when it is not 90 plus degrees out and major storms aren't coming in. I just thought it was weird how it would go down but not up???? I will fill you all in when I get it resolved in case someone else has a similar problem. Thanks forum!

Jim
I know, old thread, but it's a good one!!!! I've used the info here two or three times. These switches are the same as in some of my other vehicles, but I've never had issue with them. Thinking maybe F-150s have a higher amp draw? Last time I had an issue, as that lock out or "override" switch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Fix a Defective Window Switch