Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to Fix a Defective Window Switch

Old 06-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck has been doing this for a while now. Thanks for the write up MBlouir! I will have to try this this week and figure out if this is the problem.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I will have to try that, but could you control the window with the other control ie:my passanger rear window will go down, but not up. It will not work with either the main switch on driver door, or the switch on the passenger rear door.....

Jim

Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the thanks, guys! I appreciate it. Glad this is helping some of you out. I know the last thing I want to spend $70 on is a new window switch. Unfortunately I think my window regulator is going bad.....and that's about $200 last I checked. Driver's window makes a nasty popping sound when going down and up....almost like glass cracking. It paints me to roll it up or down so for now it's staying put.

Originally Posted by jims94vmx
I will have to try that, but could you control the window with the other control ie:my passanger rear window will go down, but not up. It will not work with either the main switch on driver door, or the switch on the passenger rear door.....

Jim
So you're saying both switches act the same (rolls it down but not up)? That sounds like another issue, but it's still worth a shot to check on it. It could just be coincidence and both are bad. When I did mine the driver's switch (with all four controls) had some spots good and some spots bad. I'd say try it anyway and if it doesn't fix it then you can continue the diagnosis.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Just for giggles I played with the override switch to lock out the other controls and then hit the rear window and it went up (thank goodness, before the incoming storms). I might have a bad contact in the over ride switch. When I talked with my local dealership they told me all the power goes thru the main drivers switches first, so I will play when it is not 90 plus degrees out and major storms aren't coming in. I just thought it was weird how it would go down but not up???? I will fill you all in when I get it resolved in case someone else has a similar problem. Thanks forum!

Jim

Old 07-06-2010, 04:11 PM
fixed

i have a 2006 f150 Harley... same problem on passenger side switch... was going down but would not go back up

great pics... took less than 10 mins to fix and works perfectly now

thank you!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Not to hijack the thread but since you are a window wizard I was wondering if you, or anyone, has thought of a way to make all windows auto down AND up?

This is one thing that I REALLY want on my truck, it annoys me to click the drivers side but have to hold down the passenger side and then to hold them both while rolling up....dont get me started :-|

Old 07-06-2010, 07:51 PM
by the way I just did it and it worked perfectly! your awesome!

Old 07-07-2010, 02:28 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Gotta do this soon now... my drivers side has been starting to act up. Thanks for the write up Matt

Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I just did mine but now both front windows will not go down or up.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by R & R
I just did mine but now both front windows will not go down or up.
Try to take it back apart and reverse the metal tabs in each one. They only toggle one position (up or down), so they have to be in the right orientation. (Sorry if that didn't make sense).

From this pic, switch the two tabs.
Name:  DSC_4001.jpg
Views: 9475
Size:  49.4 KB

Although looking at it again, it seems they would only go in one way, anyway. It's probably something simple. I'd say take it apart one more time and make sure everything is in the right place. It's usually a minor detail.

Last edited by mblouir; 07-17-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the help. One of the three prongs that come down from the switch had melted & broke off short. 59 bucks from my ford dealer & I was back up & running. Thanks for going out of your way to make this post. It was very helpful as i would have thought the whole door panel would need to come off. Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:22 PM
I was having the problem that I would have to keep hitting the switch to have the windows (all four) go up our down. I came across this post, and all the contacts in the drivers door had big black spots on them. I thankfully found this thread in search, and did the fix. Everything is working great now. Matt thanks for taking the time to figure it out and to create this awesome post. I can not begin to tell you how many members like you have helped. Now if i could just figure out how to stop the squeak when it gets hot.

Thanks again, and if you ever get out to Northern California, look me up as I would love to buy you a beer

Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I just did this quick last night after some windows would roll down but not back up (particularly the rear windows). After the cleaning, the rear windows worked great again, but the front windows no longer roll down (the exact opposite of what the rear windows were doing to begin with). So, my rear windows work but the fronts are out of commission. I've decided to go ahead and buy a new switch.

On another note, has anyone had problems with the door lock switch doing a similar trick? My driver's side button will unlock the doors all of the time, but only intermittently lock them. The passenger side works great, no issues. Leads me to believe the DS button is messing up. A replacement door lock button is almost as much as the entire window switch! Any thoughts on this?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 PM

If your lock controls are acting up like the window controls it's probably the same cause--carbon build-up. If you pull out the switch panel containing the lock controls it should come apart the exact same as the window controls. Worth a shot.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:08 AM
thank you!

thanks so much for taking the time to post pictures and directions, it helped a lot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Fix a Defective Window Switch