Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Installed IPhone/Ipod Controller For Factory Stereo (2006)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed IPhone/Ipod Controller For Factory Stereo (2006)

My iPhone controller was delivered last night, so I installed it today in the garage.
The controller is made by USA Spec, and works with the satellite radio receiver. There is also a version to be used if there is not a satellite radio installed. I ordered it from Crutchfield.com for about $130 shipped after using a $20 coupon. As usual, crutchfield sent me an additional set of instructions detailing removal of the factory stereo, door panels, speakers, etc etc.
http://www.usaspec.com/
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581P15F...ce.html?tp=120

Here is what comes in the box.

The install was pretty straight forward and can be done in just a few minutes.

Before working on truck, you should disconnect the negative terminal on the battery to prevent shorting something out on accident.
First, remove the radio bezel by prying on it with a small flathead screwdriver, covering the screwdriver with a cloth to prevent scratching. There are six clips, two on the top outside corners, two on the sides of the stereo, and two on the sides of the heat controls. They are basic frictions clips, just pry gently until they come off. On top of the bezel there is a short wire connected to the airbag light that you need to disconnect.
At this point, you should also remove the little white clips from the dash and relocate them onto the bezel. To remove them from the dash, it is helpful to wedge a screwdriver into the slow and depress the clip with one hand, and pull it with pliers in the other hand. I didn't do this initially and had troubles re-installing the bezel.

Below the stereo, you can see the Sirius radio controller. The plug in the center of it needs to come out as the controller will plug in there.

Before mounting the controller, I wrapped it in non-skid material to help hold it in place and prevent rattles. I then stretched a piece of vinyl tape around it to hold on.

Next, I plugged the cables into the controller unit, set the dip switches per the instructions and decided where to mount it. You cannot tell from the pictures, but there is a TON of room down there. The cable for the ipod is fairly long, 5 or 6 feet but so you can choose a mounting spot based on how far away you need to get from the controller.

This is where I chose to mount mine. I simple used 1 wire tie firmly around the controller. With the non-skid material it holds tight. I also mounted my controller with the RCA inputs up, so that I could easily add an additional aux input later.
You can also see where I plugged the controller into the Sirius radio unit. Again it is very straight forward, the controller gets plugged into the Sirius radio, and the old Sirius cable gets plugged into the new controller cable.

At this point I was already listening to music and making sure everything worked, including the Sirius radio.
The radio shows artist and song, and will also display playlists and albums.

Now I have to figure out what to do with all of this extra cable!

So I bundled all of the extra cable up in a coil, wire tied it and taped some non-skid material on the bottom where it is rusting on the floor. Then I wire tied it to the support on both sides to hold it still, and wire tied every extra piece of wire that I put in there. I hate squeaks and rattles so I like to make sure nothing is going to move. The picture makes it looks like the cubby is full, but I could still fit a couple of dead cats in there, there is so much room.

Finally, run your iPod/iPhone cable through a panel (mine currently comes out on the side of the console near my foot), and snap the radio bezel back on.

At some point I will pick up an adapter and install a 1/8" stereo plug on top of the dash or somewhere for the aux input on the controller.

Overall I am very pleased! The kit seems to be of good quality, and the install is super easy. The controller works well and charges the phone. I can seek through play lists, albums or artists. Songs can be played on random in either of the modes. I can also listen in "direct" mode which means I control from the iPhone, or I can stream Pandora.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:49 AM
USA spec is beast!!

I love their stuff. I have had the same thing for Volvo's in the past and I have installed 5 or 6 for family and friends. When I bought my truck last year I was looking for this but I guess they had not made it yet. I ended up just getting a new stereo because I pretty much dont know what a CD is anymore since I got an iPod. .

Good install man. Its very clean and discrete and I like how you can keep your factory stereo. Hey by the way, do you live on Colonial Way? I was out looking at houses the other day and I could have sworn I saw the house your truck is parked in front of in your pics.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by rlevi007
USA spec is beast!!

I love their stuff. I have had the same thing for Volvo's in the past and I have installed 5 or 6 for family and friends. When I bought my truck last year I was looking for this but I guess they had not made it yet. I ended up just getting a new stereo because I pretty much dont know what a CD is anymore since I got an iPod. .

Good install man. Its very clean and discrete and I like how you can keep your factory stereo. Hey by the way, do you live on Colonial Way? I was out looking at houses the other day and I could have sworn I saw the house your truck is parked in front of in your pics.
Thanks!
Yep, that's me. Funny that you would recognize it!

Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Good write-up Brian!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by brianjwilson
Thanks!
Yep, that's me. Funny that you would recognize it!
I know. Right? My brother and I were just driving around and I was like, "that house looks so familiar." After I thought about it a while I realized where I had seen it. I have looked at your truck a lot. It looks really good and its a big reason I went with BFG's.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for your contribution to the site, Brian!! Great stuff. Added you to the TAC queue.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:17 PM
2009 F150online Truck of the Year

Great write up

Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I just went to the link above for usaspec, they dont list an 04. Is there any reason for that? I have the 04 F150 with the 6 disc changer and factory sub.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it work with apps such as Slacker or Pandora?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Got the same thing for my truck but it is made by periphral electronics. Mounted my iPod right under the 4wd selector with a small piece of velco on the dash. Works awesome. I can choose to control it by the iPod/iPhone or by going thru the playlists and artists via radio. Only downside is that it won't charge an iPhone but will charge any iPod that has the long plug. Grst write up man.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the compliments on the write-up.

Originally Posted by shakin
I just went to the link above for usaspec, they dont list an 04. Is there any reason for that? I have the 04 F150 with the 6 disc changer and factory sub.
I assume there is a change in the wiring of the stereo setup. It is probably worth calling or emailing them though. When I emailed them, they responded the same day. There is always a chance that they only listed 05+ due to the 04 "heritage" model. Let us know what you find out.

Originally Posted by Turd Furguson
Does it work with apps such as Slacker or Pandora?
Yes it works with Pandora, as well as watching youtube videos or whatever else you want.
You can either manually select direct mode on the stereo and it will play whatever sound comes through the phone, or it will automatically change to direct. For example, if you are listening to music and controlling it through the stereo, then switch to the youtube app and start playing a video it was pause your music, switch to direct mode on it's own and play the video. It's pretty slick.

My ProClip mount came a few days ago, I really like it so far. I am not 100% satisfied with the fit though, it seems that the person who heated and bent the plastic didn't get it quite tight enough. The over span of the mount onto the panel on the dash needs to be about 1/8" shorter or so. After a day or so of fiddling with it, it began to fit right. Now that is is cold again it doesn't form quite how it should. I will call and see if I can heat it and try to re-shape, or see if they can send a replacement.
Anyway, as for the mount I chose the left side of the stereo. It sits a little high but it is perfect because it doesn't draw your eyes away from the road and it is just within reach. The cradle I bought with it is designed to be used with a case and is adjustable, has a power/data cable pass-through, and it tilts and rotates. It is very nice being able to just drop the phone into the cradle and the music picks up where it left off, and my phone is always charged when I get to my destination. The phone gets good gps signal as well under the windshield.
I haven't re-routed the cable yet, I'm not completely sure what I will do with it. I'm tempted to stuff it right into the vent and drill a small hole to route it behind the dash. Should be simple enough.

ProClip's website - http://www.proclipusa.com/

Here are a few pictures, sorry the quality is a little poor.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Great write up!

Did you check to see if you could find a better deal via ebay or another online auction. That still is a really great price, and its a easy install.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:15 PM

I found one on ebay for $130, which is the same as I paid with a coupon. The advisor I talked to at crutchfield was friendly and helpful, and gave me the number number to call usaspec directly for a specific question. So I ordered from him, it came quick and with additional instructions.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 PM
hEY BRIAN DO THEY SEEL THE ADAPTER FOR AUX PLUG TO GO WITH THIS KIT? ALSO DOES THIS KIT CHARGE YOUR PHONE WHILE ITS PLUGED IN?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:16 PM

Yes, the kit charges the phone when it's plugged in. You can see in the first set of pictures that the aux plug (RCA style) come with the kit as well.

Quick Reply: Installed IPhone/Ipod Controller For Factory Stereo (2006)