Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Overhead Console Temp Display Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporary Fix

I followed the instructions. Repaired as shown and described. It was easy, however, when I plugged it back in, it came on and then went off. I've taken it apart twice and resoldered all the joints to no avail. Any ideas?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe check that the soldier joints didn't over lap to one next to it. As in two joints touching. Might want to use a magnifying glass to look real close.

Also make sure the plug is making good contact, not loose or a pin pushed back in. Or maybe one of the wires is worn inside of the insulation.

Plug it in and then wiggle the wires around and see if that duplicates your problem.

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
Maybe check that the soldier joints didn't over lap to one next to it. As in two joints touching. Might want to use a magnifying glass to look real close.

Also make sure the plug is making good contact, not loose or a pin pushed back in. Or maybe one of the wires is worn inside of the insulation.

Plug it in and then wiggle the wires around and see if that duplicates your problem.

Good luck.

Thanks jgger. I've checked the solder joints. Thought that might have happened, so I put it under a microscope this morning. Nope.

The plug is in good and making contact, and I've wiggled every wire in the console.

I even considered that maybe I hadn't gotten enough solder on one, so I went back over all of them. Plugged it back in, it came on, but when I pushed the on/off button, it went off and now won't come on...again! It's making me wonder if something is getting hot or the on/off button is the problem?

The dome lights and the sun roof work...in case anyone was wondering. To my knowledge, the only thing not working is the compass. I'm a second owner to the truck and have never known of it having any other options other than on and off.

I should mention that when it came back on, it showed the right direction the truck was facing "N". I tried holding the button down to calibrate or see if there were other options like other posts have mentioned. That's when it went off and won't come back on. Even unplugged, turn the truck off and did it all again, but nothing.

Thanks for the response and any help in advance.

Last edited by KINGRANCH OWNER; 09-12-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Left something out...
Old 09-12-2011, 08:32 PM
I would check the other joints on the board. I ended up doing the same thing by fixing the one that was lifted off the board, put it all back together and it worked for about a week, but when I pressed the button a couple of times, it stopped working.

I ended up finding out that the heat held up in the upper console, along with the crappy solder they used from the factory combined with the pressure of pushing the button made a couple more of the items come off the board.

So, I took it back down and I just resoldered EVERYTHING on there. Basically I just was careful and put new solder on every joint I could find, but didn't over do it so it didn't go across other circuits. Now I haven't had a problem since, even when I press the button. It's possible it's not the same part of the circuit that you already fixed but another one.

When I looked at mine the second time, it looked like everything was flat on the circuit board (unlike the first time I took it apart), but apparently that wasn't the case because once I soldered all of the joints and made sure to press each one down as I did it, it then fixed it.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by KINGRANCH OWNER
Thanks jgger. I've checked the solder joints. Thought that might have happened, so I put it under a microscope this morning. Nope.

The plug is in good and making contact, and I've wiggled every wire in the console.

I even considered that maybe I hadn't gotten enough solder on one, so I went back over all of them. Plugged it back in, it came on, but when I pushed the on/off button, it went off and now won't come on...again! It's making me wonder if something is getting hot or the on/off button is the problem?
Hey man, if you ask me the trouble began when you hit the select button so that is the problem. Double check that it is moving in and out when you push on it. Maybe it's just stuck in?
I did this fix on my truck and now it's working good. I just bought the truck and never saw it working so you'll have to tell me, is it supposed to show more than just the direction of travel?

Old 10-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Sounds great i've ask so many people about this repair . Glad I read this . There is a company on e-bay that will repair your item if you send it to them . It's like $25.00 plus shipping Thanks agian for the great info, I'll try it tomorrow.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchJim
I just bought the truck and never saw it working so you'll have to tell me, is it supposed to show more than just the direction of travel?
Its ambient temp and compass

Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
lmao at using that big ol soldering gun!

That's great..

Good right up though.
No kidding, soldering an SMD with a big soldering gun takes a very steady hand.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by 54regcab
No kidding, soldering an SMD with a big soldering gun takes a very steady hand.
Been there and done that! I just soldered together a small PC board for my sons RC car kit & had a heck of a time with the tip size on my soldering iron, time to find a smaller tip &/or new iron - getting old aint no fun:-)

Old 11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
What a great post!!! Thank you! I had it fixed in less than 15 min.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Tempature not displaying on compass/temp display

First TY to everyone who has posted, it has really helped to half way fix my compass/temp display on my 2003 Ford F150 Lariat 4WD 4 door pick up.

I have found a used module at a salvage yard ($35) and replaced it. I have calibrated the compass and it is working properly but I still have a problem; when I hit the mode button to display the temperature nothing happens. I checked all the connections and contacts and all appears to be in place. I have read the owners manual and it refers me back to the temperature on my stereo display, which when it is in use it displays the temperature correctly. My question is - because I have a temperature display on my stereo does this mean that I will not have the temperature display on my compass/temperature display mounted just above the rear view mirror? If I am supposed to have both temperature displays on both can someone help me get the temperature display working? Note – I have pressed the select mode on the compass/temperature display several times and all it does is go back in fourth from compass display to off. Any replies are appreciated in advance.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
My 03 does the same thing after I did the fix. I don't think it displays anything other than the compass even though the button says mode or function on it. I think it's just a leftover part that Ford uses in all their trucks even if it only shows the compass.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM
My '02 shows temp on the left side, compass to the right. Read your owners manual for the calibration procedure. It refers to getting the right zoning or something for Earth magnetics.

Last edited by Red02FX4; 11-28-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM
King Ranch Jim - I believe that you are correct I have been checking the web and I have found that it should only display the compass heading. Which is not that bad as I have the temp read out on my stereo and compass overhead so I can see them both at the same time.

Red02FX4 - They must have made a change between 02 and 03 as the 03 does not have the dual read out. I found a 02 module at a salvage yard that showed both temp/compass at the same time. It hooked up fine and the compass worked perfectly but the temp display read -40F and i could never get it to work. Yes I did calibrate my compass per the owners manual and it works fine.

Thanks to you both for the help!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 PM
oops... nevermind

Quick Reply: Overhead Console Temp Display Repair