Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Overhead Console Temp Display Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
The "510 piece" is a 510 ohm resistor. Its a flat resistor, but you could use a barrel type in a pinch

several people have put in other resistors that were close, read through this whole thread, i think someone found one that was like a 530 maybe?

good luck.
Post #15 on the first page of this thread. I used the barrel type and it was a 480, still working fine today. I think I did the fix about a year ago.

Good luck

Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help

Originally Posted by jgger
Did mine today-really easy. The only problem I had was I lost one of the 510 resistors. Went to Radio Shack but all they had was 480, they said I could order the 510 but I called an electronic/computer guy I know and he said that the 480 will work fine. Had to fork out a whopping 99 cents for five of them. Stuck it back together and it works GREAT!! The only thing I would suggest different is to use an iron and not a gun to do the fix.
THANKS PATMAN!
I was trying to fix my Temp-compass and realized one of the 510 resistors was missing which is probably the reason mine is not working. I want to make sure when I go and ask for this I know exactly what to ask for, can you help me. I think sometime guys think girls can't do jobs like this, but I like to be as handy.
I have a black 03 F 150 super crew my beauty

Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 AM
What is ideal is another 510 resistor. The little square ones are probably impossible to find.

Go to Radio Shack and tell them you need a 510 ohm resistor, which they may or may not have. Like my post says I ended up with a 480 ohm, and it still works flawlessly.

The one they will have is what is called a barrel type. It looks like a little piece of straw or a dowel with a wire comming out of each end. Bend the wires so they lay across the contact points where the 510 was and soldier away. The wires will be a bit long so just trim them to fit your needs.

Like I said before they are inexpensive, I think like a buck for 3 of them.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 PM
This was one of the first threads I read when I found this forum and since I was having the same problem I figured I would follow the simple instructions and see if I could accomplish the task at hand. It took two tries. The first time I thought I had the problem solved but a few miles down the road and out it went again. Surmised that I needed to keep pressure on the resister while I soldered it. So far it is working as it should.
torn apart....
Name:  truck4.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  121.7 KB

15 minutes later.....
Name:  truck5.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  124.2 KB

Thanks Patman for starting this thread and sharing your knowledge.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
What is ideal is another 510 resistor. The little square ones are probably impossible to find.

Go to Radio Shack and tell them you need a 510 ohm resistor, which they may or may not have. Like my post says I ended up with a 480 ohm, and it still works flawlessly.

The one they will have is what is called a barrel type. It looks like a little piece of straw or a dowel with a wire comming out of each end. Bend the wires so they lay across the contact points where the 510 was and soldier away. The wires will be a bit long so just trim them to fit your needs.

Like I said before they are inexpensive, I think like a buck for 3 of them.

Good luck.
The original is called a SMT (surface mount technology) resistor. The "barrel" type resistor is actually called an axial lead resistor.

I found a similar problem with the radio in a Ranger several years ago. The radio would play ok, but the display would go out. The problem was bad solder joints:

http://bob-ayers.smugmug.com/Cars/Fo...7_9BJtR-X2.jpg

Before:

http://bob-ayers.smugmug.com/Cars/Fo...0_gAywv-X2.jpg

http://bob-ayers.smugmug.com/Cars/Fo...9_yTyoN-X2.jpg

After:

http://bob-ayers.smugmug.com/Cars/Fo...2_cC7qg-X2.jpg

http://bob-ayers.smugmug.com/Cars/Fo...0_B2zbK-X2.jpg

Last edited by Patman; 08-10-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: taking IMG tags off the large images
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by HHT Express
This was one of the first threads I read when I found this forum and since I was having the same problem I figured I would follow the simple instructions and see if I could accomplish the task at hand. It took two tries. The first time I thought I had the problem solved but a few miles down the road and out it went again. Surmised that I needed to keep pressure on the resister while I soldered it. So far it is working as it should.

Thanks Patman for starting this thread and sharing your knowledge.
Glad you got it!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:06 PM
SMT Resistor Values

Some information on SMT resistor value marking:

In the case of the resistor with 510 The first 2 digits (5, and 1) are the resistor value, the third digit (0) is the X10 multiplication value. So, 510 is
a 51 ohm resistor. The resistors next to the 510 resistors, which are 101, are
100 ohm resistors 10, and 1X10 for the multiplication value.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by Takeda
Some information on SMT resistor value marking:

In the case of the resistor with 510 The first 2 digits (5, and 1) are the resistor value, the third digit (0) is the X10 multiplication value. So, 510 is
a 51 ohm resistor. The resistors next to the 510 resistors, which are 101, are
100 ohm resistors 10, and 1X10 for the multiplication value.
I didn't know that....that is why I ALWAYS ask before I start messing with electrical stuff. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
You Da Man Patman! Mine went dark recently after working intermittently for a while!

Thanks!!!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Outstanding thread. Love it when people dig in and "repair" the part rather than replace it. I have the same issue with a 2002 F150. Will go out and get a soldering pencil tomorrow. Mine looks a little suspicious but cannot tell for sure. We will see.

I have seen a few questions about finding a wiring diagram for the console but never saw the answer. Anyone know where to find a wiring diagram? Maybe I missed it but any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Found a good wiring diagram. Hope it helps anyone needing it.

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/39tnc...wire-head.html

Old 11-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Dark console Solution THANKS

I dug this up searching for a reason my console stopped working and I had to join just to say thanks for the solution!!! Of course Ford would have replaced the board at an inflated labour rate, when it was only 10 minutes work to fix it.
Thanks so much for posting these idiot proof instructions. I will visit here from now on.
I am on my 4th Ford and I won't change now.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:01 AM
My 2003 F0150 Supercrew's overhead console, in addition to temp/compass, it also has lights on sides and moonroof button.

I removed the temp/compass controller board, and all solder joints look good with nothing unusual component. My guess is IC chip problem, but I cannot find any controller board for it. I checked ebay, googled, called local auto salvages, but no luck.

Someone told me these parts are not interchangeable, but looking at the photo of this initial thread, the PCB looks same as mine although the console casing is different.

So I'm assuming, as long as the model is 2003 F150, the inside PCB would be same even though the console casing are different? Could someone confirm, please?

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm sure the board itself is interchangeable, I doubt Ford would have a special board just for the limited production vehicles with the moon roof

Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Smile Got it Fixed !!!

I found an overhead console on eBay, and it claims it's for 1995-2012 FORD F150 that will work on my 2003. The console look exactly same as the photo on this initial thread, but the PCB looks different in shape.

Anyhow, I tested the PCB with my DVM, and I noticed there were two resistors intermittently reading different resistance. Although from visual inspection it looks fine, I re-soldered them and now they work fine.

Thanks to the original poster!!!

Quick Reply: Overhead Console Temp Display Repair