Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Cowl Removal and Painting Step-By-Step (56K Waring)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by tardman91
Still looks good after a couple of days. The pollen doesn't really stick to it as much as I thought it would (it's a little tackier than the original plastic finish). It's going to rain today, so we'll see how it goes.
The real test will be to see how it survives a nice hot, humid, Florida summer parked outside.
Thanks for the update. So, you're saying that Fusion does not dry hard, like paint?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
Thanks for the update. So, you're saying that Fusion does not dry hard, like paint?
Ok, tacky was definitely not the word I was looking for. It's hard, just like any other spray paint.
I think what I wanted to say was that it's not as smooth as it was before the paint. It has a little bit of texture to it. Kind of like when you run your hand over somewhere where you get overspray while spray-painting, catch my drift?
I went across it with a microfiber towel and it didn't glide across it smoothly. I suppose I could fix it with a bunch of clear and some sanding, but that's more work than I'm looking to do. I'm perfectly happy with it the way it is, and after a few washes and rubbing it down with some protectant I'm sure all the slight texture will wear down.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Give it some time for the paint to cure and it should harden up from what you have now.

Incredible difference between the old and the new. I might have to go have a look at mine now.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by tardman91
Ok, tacky was definitely not the word I was looking for. It's hard, just like any other spray paint.
I think what I wanted to say was that it's not as smooth as it was before the paint. It has a little bit of texture to it. Kind of like when you run your hand over somewhere where you get overspray while spray-painting, catch my drift?
I went across it with a microfiber towel and it didn't glide across it smoothly. I suppose I could fix it with a bunch of clear and some sanding, but that's more work than I'm looking to do. I'm perfectly happy with it the way it is, and after a few washes and rubbing it down with some protectant I'm sure all the slight texture will wear down.
Got it! Thanks.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great! Thanks for the how-to.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:04 PM
tardman91

Can you post a pic of the exact Krylon products you used. The Walmart nearest me has three different types of glossy black and many types of clear. By the way how did it hold up in the rain?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by GBTexas
tardman91

Can you post a pic of the exact Krylon products you used. The Walmart nearest me has three different types of glossy black and many types of clear. By the way how did it hold up in the rain?
Still looks like the pics after some rain and beating sun. Seems to me like this is the best remedy for the fading black cowls next to purchasing a new one. And if I have to take it apart again in a couple of years and strip it and repaint it, it'll be well worth the trouble.
I'm at work now so I can't get a photo, but these are the Krylon products I used:
Krylon Fusion Gloss Black

Krylon Crystal Clear

Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 AM
The Krylon Satin Black (black cap with "SATIN" written in white) works as well. But, that is the clear I used as well.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice post, tardman!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:00 PM

i ve been tempted to try this on my bed caps

they look horrible, from sun and i have tried that die

stuff and it did work for a bit , but i think mine are to bad to restore.

any one have any idea if they re hard to get off? the bed caps that is

Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by IDNC76

I have had very good luck with Bondo Restore Black. I have to redo it about every 3 months. If I were going to paint the rails, I think I would do them on the truck. It is very easy to get masking tape under them and hang paper down both sides. That would have them laid out well for painting as well. If I end up painting mine, that is my plan.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:34 PM
A word of caution about removing the wiper arms. There is a small metal key that aligns the arm with a notch in the drive. This key is not secured, and can fall out and get lost if you are not careful.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:36 PM
The bed rails are a pain to get off. I replaced mine due to the fading problem once already. I think it would be very difficult if no impossible to get them off with out breaking at least a few of the plastic clips. The older the plastic the less flexible it is also. So unless there it some trick I do not know about be prepared to break a few.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 PM
The bed rails are a pain to get off. I replaced mine due to the fading problem once already. I think it would be very difficult if no impossible to get them off with out breaking at least a few of the plastic clips. The older the plastic the less flexible it is also. So unless there it some trick I do not know about be prepared to break a few.

Thanks for the reply tardman91!

Old 05-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by IDNC76

They are not hard. There are just plastic tabs that hold them down. Just start at one end and work your way down. You'll break a couple tabs on both sides but not really a big deal. Don't use the Duplicor truck Bed liner. It doesn't hold up.

Quick Reply: Cowl Removal and Painting Step-By-Step (56K Waring)