LED Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those F'er's are going to blind oncoming traffic. Folks have issue with the level of blinding glare HID's create. You'll have far more issues with these things.

Compare the location of the halogen filament to the locations of the LED's on these lamps. Your fog lamps are designed to work properly with the light source located where the filament is. Not where all of those LED's are. The locational output of the HID arc tube is enough to cause glare and focus issues. These LED's will be worse.

Not that it really matters, but I spent many years manufacturing halogen and HID lamps for Philips and Sylvania. These little fly by night lamp manufacturer's are just throwing garbage out to make money, they don't care if the lamps meet any of the DOT/SAE requirements.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Pics?

No way these LEDs are brighter than stock halogens...

Old 03-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Hids usually run about $50 nowadays
Good ones? With warranty and such?

Old 03-26-2010, 02:56 PM

I would enjoy being humored by some pictures also. LED's are making their way into the high output light industry here lately.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
You can get a HID kit for your fogs, like I did, from DDM Tuning for around $40 shipped, with a lifetime warranty. Same price for single beam headlights, add $15 for dual beam.

DDM Tuning HID Kits

Old 03-26-2010, 03:25 PM

I second DDMtuning....cheap and great kits

I would not use those LED fog bulbs....can't produce that much light and will scatter light like crazy....HID's for fogs only if your truck is not lifted and only leveled...anything lifted with HID's is going to blind unless you retrofit projectors into the housing with a decent cutoff line.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$70 for LEDs, for $100 for HIDs, I think i'd save the extra $30 for actual output light HIDs with nicer looking bulbs, but if they get me in trouble with johnny law, i'd sell them and buy them ugly LEDs hoping they would be less blinding.
screw the law.....do what makes you happy and keep with it...jus my 2 cents...i dont think leds will light up like halogen or led tho, theyll just look pretty and bright up front

Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
ive had my $50 cheapos for over 2 years no problems, and while mine dont have a warranty anymore, you can find some that do for the same price.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
You can get a HID kit for your fogs, like I did, from DDM Tuning for around $40 shipped, with a lifetime warranty. Same price for single beam headlights, add $15 for dual beam.

DDM Tuning HID Kits
I've noticed that, so they actually are selling [u]full[/b] HID kits for $40? Thats amazing. Its too bad I need to count my pennies at the moment,I cant afford to buy them until I make some other financial things happen.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Sorry guys, but I don't have a working digital camera at the moment to post pics up. These lights seem great IMO and its nice that they just plug in without the use of any ballasts.

As far as any blinding issues go, I drove behind my girlfriend tonight for about 60 miles and she had no issues with them in her mirror at all. I also had her go infront of me to the gas station then watch me pull up towards her. She said that they were very visible, but not blinding.

Granted, my truck is an FX2, so it does sit lower than the 4wds. But I'm happy with them and they don't seem to be a problem for other drivers. V-Leds seems to make a quality product and I have no problem recommending them to any of you for your trucks.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leds won't scatter any worse than stock bulbs.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:33 PM
I have read some posts here, LED's are already being used as lighting for Audi's concept cars. 3 years ago they accomplished that, now that being said the price back then for a full LED headlight they produced would be obnoxious. Now welcome to 2010.. LED Headlights ARE an option on the Audi R8 for 5000... It is possible for them to make a LED fog that could outshine a halogen.

Are incandescent headlights on their last flicker? They lit the road ahead for almost a century, but interest in incandescence, or light made with heat by pushing current through a thin filament, is going cold.

Light-emitting diodes, or LEDs, promise greater light for less power and waste heat. Already used in taillights and turn signals, the LEDs’ steadily improving efficiency means this technology is moving up to the big job. They’ll be the standard-equipment headlights on the 2010 Audi R8 V-10 and optional on the V-8 R8. U.S. prices aren’t finalized, but *Europeans will pay about $5000 for the set.

Why is Audi pursuing this technology? Simple: LEDs make more light than heat and take up less space. There is another benefit, too: LEDs can be arranged into whatever shapes designers and engineers demand—especially important to a style-leading brand such as Audi.

The common incandescent halogen bulb shines by electrifying and superheating a tungsten filament sealed in halogen gas. Less than five percent of the power consumed results in light, the rest is heat that is wasted. The ratio is somewhat better with high-intensity-discharge, or HID, headlights, where instead of passing over a solid filament, the current arcs between two filaments through a cloud of light-amplifying xenon gas.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by tbrimerjr
Sorry guys, but I don't have a working digital camera at the moment to post pics up. These lights seem great IMO and its nice that they just plug in without the use of any ballasts.

As far as any blinding issues go, I drove behind my girlfriend tonight for about 60 miles and she had no issues with them in her mirror at all. I also had her go infront of me to the gas station then watch me pull up towards her. She said that they were very visible, but not blinding.

Granted, my truck is an FX2, so it does sit lower than the 4wds. But I'm happy with them and they don't seem to be a problem for other drivers. V-Leds seems to make a quality product and I have no problem recommending them to any of you for your trucks.
Do you have a working camera yet or are you able to borrow one? I would still like to see how well these things light up.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Where are those pics of these LEDs from VLEDS

Old 11-07-2010, 12:39 AM
pics please

Quick Reply: LED Fogs