Painting 2004 Fogs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Painting 2004 Fogs.

Well after seeing Southernstyle05's fogs and a couple other photos found in various threads, such as the original Painted Headlamp Thread, I decided to do mine. I bought Justin's (Zeruin ) original black headlamps, and imo, painted headlamps look awful on the 04 - 05 rectangular fogs, especially on a chrome bumper. So I started the fog lamp painting job. I'm about to start the painting in a few moments, just giving an update, and a couple photos.

I didn't have my camera the night I started, left it at my friends house but I managed to get a web cam picture.

I will say this though, masking these lamps is the biggest **** off.. The backing is so sensitive you have to put each piece of tape on something cotton atleast 5 times to kill the adhesive strength, can NOT press down on it hard, and taping it in general, all those curves in that very limited amount of space, SUCKS. I know i'm going to have a couple black spots from where tape ruined a little, but it should be too bad.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:13 PM

Got my camera back. Heres some resolution photos. Since last night I lightly scuffed the reflective chrome with 1000 grit.

With lens

Without

What my truck has looked like all week, has the fog holes, but no fogs, just like a ricer

Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tell me about it... that chrome will **** you off when you realize how easy it is to mess up... its all good though. DEFINITELY worth the fight!!

Caint wait to see finished pics man.

Good luck,
SouthernStyle

Old 12-07-2008, 11:50 AM

Alright well I painted the shells yesterday ( 12/6 ) and let them dry overnight. Now they're finished, I had to touch up just minorly on the LH lamp though, so i'll let that dry the rest of the afternoon, otherwise, time to pull the tape off of the reflective backing! Heres a couple pictures of how they are now.

No flash

With flash

Originally Posted by SouthernStyle05
tell me about it... that chrome will **** you off when you realize how easy it is to mess up... its all good though. DEFINITELY worth the fight!!

Caint wait to see finished pics man.

Good luck,
SouthernStyle
Yeah man what a PITA, took me 1.5hrs which seems pretty good to me, I kept pushing myself to finish it before 2:00am

Old 12-07-2008, 01:07 PM

Alright well I pulled the masking tape, sadly the tape did ruin some of the reflecting backing on both lamps, mostly just at the side corners though. I did end up with a little overspray, due to not fully pressing down on the tape, but if I did that then I would have risked removing more chrome. But I was able to clean all of the overspray with a MF and UQD, to my surprize it came off and looks pretty decent now, though the corners are still ruined, Its not a big deal. They look pretty sharp. Now I just need to seal them up. Any suggestions on what type of silicone to go with? I would like to use a black colored silicon.

Passenger lamp, after unmasking.

With flash.

The minor damage

The over spray which cleaned up perfect.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Drivers side lamp

The damage & a little overspray

& with the dirty lens propped on, passenger lamp.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 PM
SEAL THEM AND GET THEM ON
lol
too much suspense
im just joking around take your time they look good so far

Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by blackf150lariat
SEAL THEM AND GET THEM ON
lol
too much suspense
im just joking around take your time they look good so far
Dont worry its almost time. I actually have to put the lenses back in the oven to warm up the left over silicon on them and get it off. Then tomorrow I should be sealing them up, and on the 9th they should be in!

Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
looks awesome man. truely cant wait to see em on the truck!

yeah me passenger side lamp actually ended up perfect but the drivers side it did peel some off like in your pics, only noticible from up close though when your looking for it.

well just seal em up with some "ultra black" RTV from the autozone and slap em on.

later,
SouthernStyle

.......and you've already got it level right? Slap some 35's on this beast ASAP!!!!! haha. truck will be "RIDIN" then. haha

Last edited by SouthernStyle05; 12-07-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 AM

looks awesome man. truely cant wait to see em on the truck!

yeah me passenger side lamp actually ended up perfect but the drivers side it did peel some off like in your pics, only noticible from up close though when your looking for it.

well just seal em up with some "ultra black" RTV from the autozone and slap em on.

later,
SouthernStyle

.......and you've already got it level right? Slap some 35's on this beast ASAP!!!!! haha. truck will be "RIDIN" then. haha
Yeah man its nothing real noticeable, especially with the lens on. Bummer though it may be more noticeable when I get my 6" suspension lift someday haha. Its not leveled yet, haven't had the 5100 struts installed yet, just put the rear shocks in. I'm not gonna go 35s until its lifted, 33s max, but i'm riding these tires to their death. Would much rather buy my black 18x9s with 285/65/18 BFG TA KOs next spring

Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 AM

Man, you gotta either go chrome or NONE at all. IE chrome bumper + chrome headlights, or black headlights and NO chrome bumpers. The bumpers just look out of place with black headlights IMO.

So what to do about it? Paint them bumpers!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
...Would much rather buy my black 18x9s with 285/65/18 BFG TA KOs next spring
yeah yeah, I hear ya.

I wont push ya on it again, ok well just one last time... DUDE, go with the level and 35's. If your payin for new BFG's anyway (in the spring) then drop a couplle more bucks for the right size meats !! I promis you that you wont regret it, i absolutely love what the tires did for my truck, totally changed it!!!

haha, alright i'm done.

just waitin on the fog pics now man,
SouthernStyle

Old 12-08-2008, 02:23 AM

Alright people, the silicon is drying as we speak! Photos tomorrow after drying.

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Man, you gotta either go chrome or NONE at all. IE chrome bumper + chrome headlights, or black headlights and NO chrome bumpers. The bumpers just look out of place with black headlights IMO.

So what to do about it? Paint them bumpers!
Oh you can count on that, there wont be any chrome bumpers soon enough, dont worry about that. I have plans

yeah yeah, I hear ya.

I wont push ya on it again, ok well just one last time... DUDE, go with the level and 35's. If your payin for new BFG's anyway (in the spring) then drop a couplle more bucks for the right size meats !! I promis you that you wont regret it, i absolutely love what the tires did for my truck, totally changed it!!!

haha, alright i'm done.

just waitin on the fog pics now man,
SouthernStyle
Yeah man, well soon enough... I am sick of these p***y General Ameritrac 255s.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice pics! Gives me ideas on how I'm going to tape off mine when I finally get some.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth
Nice pics! Gives me ideas on how I'm going to tape off mine when I finally get some.
Thanks man. Definitely been having fun with the project, except for the masking part. That part sucks on limited patience and having big fingers. But now i'm on the easy part, waiting for the silicon to dry, cant wait to put them in.

Quick Reply: Painting 2004 Fogs.