Bug guard paint question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bug guard paint question...

Actually, your opinion.

I can pick up a new bug guard for my truck, it's on clearance for $20. I've used them before on an explorer and another f150.

I'm thinking about painting it the same blue as my truck and putting it on. I don't have a preferance either way. Do you think it would look good or not?

Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 AM
They make all different kinds so it depends on which one. I like the way they look when they are painted.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
They make all different kinds so it depends on which one. I like the way they look when they are painted.
OK. That's one for painted. This one is nothing special. Just the ones you'd find at your local walmart, or autozone. But it's only $20... I've used them before and never had any problems.

If anyone has any pics of them painted, I would love to see some...please

I'll try doing a search also...

Old 11-17-2007, 12:45 AM
the only thing i could imagine being a problem is the fact that bug guards vibrate and flex as you drive. painting it may cause the paint to crack and peel over time. prolly takes some kind of special paint, no idea though.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:47 AM
the only reason i have a bug guard is because of chips and what not on the front of my hood. painting it will probably result in a lot of chips, but if it is a molded color, then i think it would be ok.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by cdnance
the only reason i have a bug guard is because of chips and what not on the front of my hood. painting it will probably result in a lot of chips, but if it is a molded color, then i think it would be ok.
I'd rather have a couple of chips in a bug guard than on my hood. I've had the same bug guard on 2 different trucks since 2000. It's been painted twice to match the trucks and only 1 chip (the plastic is actually pitted, which tells me it was a good size rock, better than a cracked windshield) The trick to painting plastic parts is prep and using an adhesion promoter. You could also use a flex agent for the paint, but a bug guard usually doesn't flex too much, so you could get away without it. You could also get a clear bug guard and paint the back of it only, or just get one with the color molding into it. In any case I like the matching color instead of the smoke black, the pieces blend into the vehicle alot better.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the only thing you can really do is buy a clear one and paint the inside. that is the common way to do it so it doesn't get chipped

Old 11-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Bug-Knockers

As said above, the customary way to run a painted bugshield is to buy a clear one and paint the inside...no chips that way.

However, my opinion is that you should take that bugshield, paint red circles on it, hang it on a fence, and riddle it with small arms fire for target practice. I hate the way bugshields look!

But that's just me.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by built54
the only thing you can really do is buy a clear one and paint the inside. that is the common way to do it so it doesn't get chipped
built54 is correct I have done many of these, all you have to do is scotch brite the inside, tape off the outside, and just spray base coat on the inside. No need for any clear, when you flip it over the clear plastic acts as the clear. This was very popular a few years back and I never had one come back with any problems. Only problem, I here it is getting hard to find clear ones now! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Bug guard paint question...