FORD FACTORY SOFT TONNEAU

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-1999, 02:26 PM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FORD FACTORY SOFT TONNEAU

Has anyone bought one of the ford soft tonneau covers? I just got a Ford accessorie catalog in the mail and they have it in their for about $260.
Looks good and it does not bolt onto the bed rails it is supposed to clamp on somehow???
If you did buy one how much did you get it for?

------------------
Roger In DFW. Home of the 1999 Stanley Cup Champion ****Dallas Stars****
99 F-150 Sport XL Bright Red,Tint,50 Series Flowmaster,Contour+ Deflector, Lower front valance painted to match truck!

Old 08-12-1999, 02:35 PM
Make sure that price includes all the hardware too. When I ordered a Ford tonneau for that price, it only came with the cover itself. They told me the mounting hardware was another $75 or so.

Also, if you're interested, I have an Extang Sabre (snapless) tonneau for sale for considerably less than $260. Go to the "Modifications" page on my site, listed below.

------------------
keith@myf150.com
http://www.myf150.com
Rocky Mount, NC

1999 F-150 XLT Styleside, Black On Black, SuperCab, Short Bed, 4x4, ORP, 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS

Mods: DrawTite Class III Hitch, Smittybilt Outland Grill Guard/Brush Guards, KC Daylighters, Custom Dual Exhaust-Straight Out The Back, Airaid FIPK, SuperChips Chip, Bug Deflector, Pace-Edwards Roll-Top Bed Cover

Old 08-12-1999, 08:23 PM
I optioned one for My 99 Lightning. It has a nice low profile. The two side rails clamp on the bed rail..underneath. It is a quality frame. Mine was installed by the dealer before I picked it up. The piece that fits across the front of the bed just behind the cab was not sealed well, there are two..what I would call notches or depressions on the flareside. There is foam on all the railing to seal water tight. This area is the area that leaked on Mine. Make sure you seal this with some type of weather stripping. The only complaint I have is the tonneau cover itself curls up at the rear corners. The tongue and groove fitment is a problem. They bring the two peices of plastic to gether and bunch the fabric seam at the same juncture. It is a problem area. Mine refuses to lay flat. Other than that I think it is fine. I may warranty another cover to see if they fixed it. There was some talk on the NLOC list about Sal informing Ford and their supplier.Supposedly the have addresssed this problem.
The dealer charged Me $375.00 dollars for what was a advertised $200.00 option on The Kelly Blue book list. I will ask for a refund
if the corner problem persists with the new cover. A.R.E hard tonneau may be in the future.
FYI, This cover stays on the truck and the center bows do not flex at 140 mph plus.
My old one would pop down at about 80 on the 93 lightning.

Later,Jeff C

Old 08-13-1999, 12:03 AM
Twisted 99 my Soft Tonneau cover bends at the
ends too, look very tacky on my 99.5 Red Lighting. I have not heard of anything about
Ford replacing them because of a appearence defect. Please fill me in more detail, I'm not on the NLOC list yet but it sounds like a good investment.

Thanks,
Terry
99.5 Red Lighting, All Options, superchipped,
LineXed,MPC Aero-wraparound Bugshield color-matched & clearcoated.

Old 08-13-1999, 12:16 AM
Hey B777,

I bought a Lund Premier series soft cover for around $160 and I am very pleased with it. It has stainless steel hardware, aluminum rails and brackets, and it looks good on the truck - unlike some softies that I have seen. I recommend it - good value and easy to install.

Also, No powertools required.......

------------------
1998 F150 xl reg. cab, 4.2L, 3.55
gear, auto, Lund tonneau bed cover, Pioneer CD receiver, EVERYTHING on the truck is black(including bumpers, grille, handles), aluminum wheels, K&N filter.

[This message has been edited by TODD212809 (edited 08-13-1999).]

Old 08-13-1999, 06:45 PM
Hey guys,
I also got the factory cover for my truck, The dealer ordered id seperately from th truck so I could get the truck faster. the edges curl up on mine to, I had the first one replaced because the corners, where the plastic meets started ripping, The corners looked great the first 2 days now there back to being curled. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know, it looks cheesy.

------------------
Gino Tedesco, '99 XLT 5.4l, SUPERCHIPPED, 3" Gibson catback exhaust,4x4 S/C Flareside D.wedge bl/Dk.graph manik grlgaurd w/piaa lights

Old 08-13-1999, 09:40 PM
I also have the factory cover and yes, the rear corners are pointing up too... Thought maybe the next time I drive 200 mph, they'd act like wings to keep the rear down. LOL.

BTW, can any of you roll that sucker up and strap them down at the head of the bed? By yourself? I still can't roll the cover up. Is there a trick on how to do it single handed?

Old 08-16-1999, 04:33 PM
B777,
I like mine, the corners at the back do turn up slightly. This is not a problem in my eyes. I have a "Styleside" therefore mine comes with three rods holding the cover up. Keeps rain off things. Looks good. Cost was $150.00 dollars when I got mine which was ordered with the truck.

Dennis,
You have to get in the bed of the truck to roll it up. It is practically impossible to roll it up from one side, which I am guessing is what you were trying to do.

Hope this helps.

------------------
1999 Ford F-150 XLT Sport 4x2 SC; Black, Med Graphite Interior, 5.4L, 3.55LS, 17" Wheels, 275/60 Tires, Tonneau Cover, Captains Chairs, CD Changer, Heavy Duty Electrical and Cooling, Nerf Bars, Rhino Liner, Tinted Windows

Quick Reply: FORD FACTORY SOFT TONNEAU