Remote Wire for 3 amps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Wire for 3 amps?

OK so im finishing my system install, I pretty much know everything when it comes to car audio. But I never installed 3 amps in my ride. Do I just go from the radio harness to amp to amp to amp????

Old 08-26-2007, 02:52 AM
Yes.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Exactly.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:32 PM
DRJ
Typically the remote on amps don't require much power to turn on, aftermarket HUs have a low current, if you get trouble with the amps turning on just hook up the remote to a higher current wire such as the acc. or if you really want the amps to turn on only when the deck is on, then you can feed the remote turn on to a relay to power up your amps with a higher current

Old 08-27-2007, 01:54 AM
noooooo. Trust me on this. Really not recommended to go over 2 amplifiers when hooking to the remote output lead on the radio. I have seen this either burn out the remote out or cause issues with the radio itself. You should connect a relay.

The remote input current for amplifiers varies with the amplifier and the model. Some draw minimal current. Others draw a little more. The upper limit of a properly functioning amplifier is approximately 50ma (0.05 amps). If you're using/controlling more than 2 amplifiers, it is (in my opinion) much better to use a relay to control the amplifiers. Actually I really prefer having a relay in the remote circuit (no matter how many amplifiers I'm using) because it protects the head unit's remote output circuit in case of a short circuit. I've seen amps go bad and spike the radio.

To wire a relay for amp remote wires

Connect PIN 87 to a 12 volt constant source.
Connect PIN 86 to Ground
Connect PIN 85 to the remote output of head unit
Connect PIN 30 to the remote inputs of the amplifiers

Old 08-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Question Hey KC

Originally Posted by KCAutosound
noooooo. Trust me on this. Really not recommended to go over 2 amplifiers when hooking to the remote output lead on the radio. I have seen this either burn out the remote out or cause issues with the radio itself. You should connect a relay.

The remote input current for amplifiers varies with the amplifier and the model. Some draw minimal current. Others draw a little more. The upper limit of a properly functioning amplifier is approximately 50ma (0.05 amps). If you're using/controlling more than 2 amplifiers, it is (in my opinion) much better to use a relay to control the amplifiers. Actually I really prefer having a relay in the remote circuit (no matter how many amplifiers I'm using) because it protects the head unit's remote output circuit in case of a short circuit. I've seen amps go bad and spike the radio.

To wire a relay for amp remote wires

Connect PIN 87 to a 12 volt constant source.
Connect PIN 86 to Ground
Connect PIN 85 to the remote output of head unit
Connect PIN 30 to the remote inputs of the amplifiers
My head unit has a remote power rating of .3 A,
do you think it would be safe to hitch that up with two amps or should I just tap into the cig. fuse?
Also couldn't you just put a fuse in the remote line going to the amps
to keep the amps from frying anything?

Last edited by bshipley78; 08-27-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM
I've always been a better safer than sorry guy. Most likely you can get away with powering both amps without a problem but with customers vehicles and equipment I don't like to take shortcuts that I have to pay for in the future.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:10 AM
True, True...

I know what you mean... in the past I never really cared too much.
But now I plan on doing things the safe way..
That relay you speak of, where or what exactly is that?
I'd like to look into doing that with mine , like you said
just to be safe.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:19 PM
DRJ
I believe you can buy relays at radio shack

Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And just for reference if anyone is wondering, that is just your common Bosch style relay, so there is nothing special you need to look for really. Can pick one up about anywhere.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:57 PM
how to use

Originally Posted by Bartak1
And just for reference if anyone is wondering, that is just your common Bosch style relay, so there is nothing special you need to look for really. Can pick one up about anywhere.
Not sure how the relay is used, where do you put it or how are you to use it? Can you explain how/what /where?
Thanks...this is new to me....

Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 AM
KC gave all the wiring directions.

The typical relay is a little cube with the 5 spades sticking out the one side. Pull a relay out of your vehicle's relay box (blower motor, headlights, whatever), and take a look at it. Most of them are about the same, some may have a higher current rating than the others.

To use it, you could either make the connections with insulated female spade connectors that fit the relay spades or solder and shrink tube the wire right to the relay. I'd go the spade connector route myself.

Mounting it may be a bit fun. Maybe zip tie or electrical tape the relay to something behind the dash or wherever is convenient to get the wires to/from the relay and keep it out of harms way.

Does that make more sense?

Old 08-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Thumbs up Yes...Thanks

Yeah that makes sense thank you for helping a retard
I really appreciate the explanation.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup Yup, pretty much what VFR said.

Ive seen a fer places where you can get the relay and a receptical that it plugs into with a wire pigtale out the back of it. Can splice all your wires into the recepticle and mount it somewhere in the dash.

Just another option if you wanted.

Personally I would just use spade terminals like he suggested and tuck it in the dash since you will most likely never have to replace it, but if you do its still not a bish to do.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Rodger that

Do you suggest any particular type of relay, and what 12v source do you reccomend using?
Thanks again...truely appreciated

Quick Reply: Remote Wire for 3 amps?