Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help

Heres what I have done. I purchased 2 pioneer 6.5 door speakers and 2 pioneer 6x9 rear speakers. Also have a 60x4 pioneer amp to power these speakers. My head unit is a DEH-P3500 if that helps at all. I cant get all 4 speakers to play..2 will play and the other 2 will give off a very low bass sound.

I have the front speakers on channel A and the rear on channel B. At first the fronts were playing and the rears were doing that low bass sound. So i switched the RCAs at the amp around, and the rears were playing and the fronts were makin that low bass sound. Thought maybe the RCA was bad so i tried it with another and still the same thing.

I have the filter thing on the amp to off and I have it switched to 4 channel. I have no idea what it could be, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 01-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Lunatic0987
Heres what I have done. I purchased 2 pioneer 6.5 door speakers and 2 pioneer 6x9 rear speakers. Also have a 60x4 pioneer amp to power these speakers. My head unit is a DEH-P3500 if that helps at all. I cant get all 4 speakers to play..2 will play and the other 2 will give off a very low bass sound.

I have the front speakers on channel A and the rear on channel B. At first the fronts were playing and the rears were doing that low bass sound. So i switched the RCAs at the amp around, and the rears were playing and the fronts were makin that low bass sound. Thought maybe the RCA was bad so i tried it with another and still the same thing.

I have the filter thing on the amp to off and I have it switched to 4 channel. I have no idea what it could be, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

It sounds like a crossover issue to me. If you are positive the amp is set to run full range or high pass, either one, then double check your head unit. It has built in high and low pass filters. It sounds like one set of channels, either on the amp or the head unit is set to low pass, only allowing low frequencies in.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Ok..a little more info and a little more of a problem. First off, in the back of the headunit 1 set of preouts is for a subwoofer I believe because it says SW next to it. And whichever speakers were running off that RCA cable were making the low bass sound. So i just removed that cable

The other preout has a F next to it. And it doesnt matter where I put this RCA cable in on the amp (Input A..Input B..Output)..The red one will make the front right speaker play and the white will make the rear right speaker play, but the rear one sounds like poop for some reason.

So right now to have any audio come out, It also has to be on 2-channel..If its on 4 I can hardly hear anything.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:58 AM
Ok..a little more info and a little more of a problem. First off, in the back of the headunit 1 set of preouts is for a subwoofer I believe because it says SW next to it. And whichever speakers were running off that RCA cable were making the low bass sound. So i just removed that cable

The other preout has a F next to it. And it doesnt matter where I put this RCA cable in on the amp (Input A..Input B..Output)..The red one will make the front right speaker play and the white will make the rear right speaker play, but the rear one sounds like poop for some reason.

So right now to have any audio come out, It also has to be on 2-channel..If its on 4 I can hardly hear anything.
F is fronts
SW is subwoofer

From what I found on google that head unit only has preouts for the front and subs. IMO that headunit is not meant for a amplified 4 speaker system. But there is a way around that. Get some RCA splitters and at the amp split the Front RCA lines into the amp. Don't use the SW RCA at all unless you plan on getting a subwoofer.

Here's what you need (2 each):

http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/30r4-03300.htm

Last edited by Impact9; 01-18-2007 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Impact9
F is fronts
SW is subwoofer

From what I found on google that head unit only has preouts for the front and subs. IMO that headunit is not meant for a amplified 4 speaker system. But there is a way around that. Get some RCA splitters and at the amp split the Front RCA lines into the amp. Don't use the SW RCA at all unless you plan on getting a subwoofer.

Here's what you need (2 each):

http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/30r4-03300.htm
What he said. And make sure you are only using crossovers on the head unit or the amp, not both. Or none at all if you are not running a sub.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:20 AM
thank you so much..but i have a dumb question.

With this cable I plug both male ends into the amp then take my RCA and plug one side into the female and the other side into my headunit..and do that twice?

I drew a little picture to help explain myself. First off is this correct? And secondly which, does it matter which color RCA goes to the female end of the splitter?

Old 01-18-2007, 10:30 AM
yea that's how they work Just be sure that one cable go to the lefts and the other cable go to the rights.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:33 AM
That looks like it. Does not matter the color. Using this method, you will be able to either fade front to back or balance left to right but, not both.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Just wanted to update this. I went to Radioshack and picked up 2 little Y-adapters and it works great. All 4 speakers sound pretty good, a whole lot louder then it was previously and a decent amount of bass from the 6x9s.

Any of you guys have any suggestions on setting the gains to a good spot or just do them each by ear?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Old 01-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Instead of making a new thread id figure id just ask it here. I need a little more bass now. The bass that I have now is to crisp i guess you can say, its like a punch of bass, instead of like a rumble. Here is my plan. Buy a 10 inch sub and run it bridged off my current amp and buy a smaller amp to run the front speakers. So my 4 channel amp will run the 6x9s and the sub and a 2 channel to run the door speakers, that will work correct? My amp is rated at 60x4..but then 150x2, so if i bridge one channel would I get 150 out of it?

Now onto my main question, If you remember my headunit has 2 preouts, one for front speakers, one for a subwoofer. I currently have splitters on the end of the RCA cable. With the way I want to run the sub, one end of the splitters will stay in my current amp to power the 6x9s, but the other end will be going to a different amp to power the door speakers. So that one RCA will be goin to both amps. Is that ok?

Last edited by Lunatic0987; 01-21-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Instead of making a new thread id figure id just ask it here. I need a little more bass now. The bass that I have now is to crisp i guess you can say, its like a punch of bass, instead of like a rumble. Here is my plan. Buy a 10 inch sub and run it bridged off my current amp and buy a smaller amp to run the front speakers. So my 4 channel amp will run the 6x9s and the sub and a 2 channel to run the door speakers, that will work correct? My amp is rated at 60x4..but then 150x2, so if i bridge one channel would I get 150 out of it?

Now onto my main question, If you remember my headunit has 2 preouts, one for front speakers, one for a subwoofer. I currently have splitters on the end of the RCA cable. With the way I want to run the sub, one end of the splitters will stay in my current amp to power the 6x9s, but the other end will be going to a different amp to power the door speakers. So that one RCA will be goin to both amps. Is that ok?

Everything you said will work. Just remember rights for rights, left for lefts, and sub for sub. Also when you get your sub you'll need a low power model cause 150w for a sub is rather small. That not a bad thing it just limits your choices. Also when you get your 2 channel amp for the front speakers be sure it's as or more powerful than the 4 channel.

You know on second thought why not just get a monoblock amp for your sub? You need another amp anyways and it'll be better to get say a 500w amp to open you choices to a wide range of subwoofers.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Why do i need an amp that is as or more powerful then my current amp? My 4 channel is 600 watts max. I was just gonna get a little 200 watt (40 rms) or so amp to run the fronts. If I have to get a more powerful 2 channel amp, then I will just leave it as it is and buy a mono channel amp for the sub.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Why do i need an amp that is as or more powerful then my current amp? My 4 channel is 600 watts max. I was just gonna get a little 200 watt (40 rms) or so amp to run the fronts. If I have to get a more powerful 2 channel amp, then I will just leave it as it is and buy a mono channel amp for the sub.
So your sound isn't focused in the back seats. I should of just edited that last post and left my suggestion to get a monoblock amp. That would be the way to go IMO.