Brypink...Question About Zapco Amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch. Hopefully you can get everything done, and find the SOB that took your wifes things.....then beat him with your wifes purse.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Ouch. Hopefully you can get everything done, and find the SOB that took your wifes things.....then beat him with your wifes purse.

I appreciate it.

Quick update. I managed to get the adapter rings cut for the mids and got the passenger door panel off. I just started trimming out for the tweeter and all my batteries are dead for my generic little sander/grinder. I will not have a chance to get the doors deadened and sealed before I leave but, I am hoping to have the speakers in. At least that will be a start.

My wife got her PDA back. Sounds like from the people that stole it. They basically ransomed it back to her. They called and said they "found it" and how much would she pay to get it back. Later on, a very nice lady called and said she found the wallet. So, it appears these idiots stole the PDA, wallet and Oakley's, sold the PDA back to my wife for $25 and ditched the wallet.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by brypink2
Is it just the voice that is giving you problems?

First, I would use the GEQ instead of the PEQ...gives you more control.

Another reason I'm sure it's sounding different bewtween the 2 is the passive xovers and the components themself.

Are you running your mids in just the kicks? No mids in the doors at all? If so, man...you really need to put the mids in the doors, deaden and seal them up...it will be a NIGHT & DAY difference!!!! I CANT PREACH THIS ENOUGH!!!!
I would agree 100%. Using the geq is quick and can "show" you the change instantly, where the peq can be so accurate it makes it harder to find the problem. Once you know what range you need to fix you can always go back to the peq if you need more spot on correction. The rainbows probably have a steeper xover thats close to your problem, making it less noticable. I would start tuning aroud the xover point frequency. I wouldn't be too concerned turning down levels to correct a problem, you won't add destortion from that, its when you try to gain 10db at a freq that would worry me. I use the iasca disc when I start to tune a system, once I get the stage set up I go to regular music. Tori Amos has a really nasaly voice and has a lot of piano, so you can tell when you cut enough cause her voice is better, and if you cut too much cause the piano disappears. Dave Mathews also has a very telltale voice. When its not right you know immediately. Good luck

Old 08-23-2006, 12:49 AM
Brypink2 did you ever get the batcap?

Old 08-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I managed to get the Rainbows installed in the doors. No deadening or sealing as of yet. Just do not have that much time right now. I noticed right away, more low end than the kick panel install. But, it seems to have the same exaggerated boost. Turn it up and the vocals really get overbearing. I need to get some time and just sit and fiddle with eq settings and try to tone it down. If I could just knock the edge off, it would be great. More tweaking for sure. But, I do like getting the floor space back from the factory kicks. Now, I need to try getting the time alignment set.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by nothinbutaford
Brypink2 did you ever get the batcap?
No, I haven't. I need to get it though. The guy that suppose to get it for me hasn't actually become a dealer for them yet, so I'm kinda waiting on that (so I can get one next to nothing). I might just pick one up anyway...there not that much I guess.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by dconder
I managed to get the Rainbows installed in the doors. No deadening or sealing as of yet. Just do not have that much time right now. I noticed right away, more low end than the kick panel install. But, it seems to have the same exaggerated boost. Turn it up and the vocals really get overbearing. I need to get some time and just sit and fiddle with eq settings and try to tone it down. If I could just knock the edge off, it would be great. More tweaking for sure. But, I do like getting the floor space back from the factory kicks. Now, I need to try getting the time alignment set.
Just wait til you get your doors deaden and sealed.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 PM
My stereo might be 'finished' in a few days

Ill update later... hehe

Old 08-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Hey guys. What is the mounting depth of the Mags? I found a pretty good deal on one and might go for it. He said it is the older style but not the claw basket. If you go to the SI website and look at the two small pics on the top of the page, he said that is the sub he has. Is that the same one as you all have?

Last edited by dconder; 08-31-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey guys. What is the mounting depth of the Mags? I found a pretty good deal on one and might go for it. He said it is the older style but not the claw basket. If you go to the SI website and look at the two small pics on the top of the page, he said that is the sub he has. Is that the same one as you all have?
That's the older "claw" version. They are good subs too. I think they had a problem with the tensil leads coming undone...not sure. The mounting depth, IIRC, is 6.75". I'm not sure if the older claw version is the same.

I would still go for it, if it's a good deal.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by brypink2
That's the older "claw" version. They are good subs too. I think they had a problem with the tensil leads coming undone...not sure. The mounting depth, IIRC, is 6.75". I'm not sure if the older claw version is the same.

I would still go for it, if it's a good deal.

It must not be the same older version. He said it looks just like your basket but, the dust cap is different. $195 shipped sound good?

Old 08-31-2006, 05:21 PM
It must not be the same older version. He said it looks just like your basket but, the dust cap is different. $195 shipped sound good?
So it's not the "claw" basket? Yeah, I think there was an older version with the same basket (of the newer version). Actually, I think Bart has that one too.

I would jump on it for $195 shipped. Nothing is wrong with it I hope? Just ask the usual questions, unless you trust him.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Yep, that would be the Gen II, TC9 based version, which is what I have, as Bryan said. Spoked basket, woven tinsel leads, magnet boot, concaved dust cap....thats it. And yes, mounting depth is 6.75 inches.

If its in nice shape 195 sounds like a good price. I paid 200 for mine, and it even had some scuffs/dings on it, but it works at least
Id actually be all over that...

Old 09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys. He can not ship it out today so, he is going to try to get me some pics over the weekend since it will not be able to ship until Tuesday.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:49 PM
And on the 5th of September...

God delivered my newest amp.......

Diamond D5 600.2; 150x2 for the 'Bows. Nice little birthday present from myself. Hopefully I can hook this thing up later on tonight and test it out; unfortunately it will have to come back out untill I can get some wiring supplies ordered: 1/0, ANL fuseholder, dist. block and a few other little things.

Dconder, whats the word on the Mag?

Quick Reply: Brypink...Question About Zapco Amp