2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Fuel Fill Inlet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Fuel Fill Inlet?

What the heck does that mean? I put gas in on Wednesday, haven't touched it since then. Start truck up this morning and get a "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" message.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:52 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Open the door, inspect it, and close the door. It's probably not sealed completely.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Or, you need a new fuel fill cap. Those things have a valve inside that prevents fuel vapors from venting to the atmosphere. The valve can fail. The smog checking stations here in Arizona attach the fuel cap to a tester when you bring the truck in for its annual check and if it doesn't pass, you have to get a new one.

- Jack

Old 05-03-2015, 11:38 AM
glc
Jack, I think his truck has one of the new capless fillers. Haven't you put gas in your new one yet?

Old 05-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by glc
Jack, I think his truck has one of the new capless fillers. Haven't you put gas in your new one yet?
Actually, I have. But I thought from his post that he had the older, screw-on style.

I'm really not seeing any obvious way to do anything with the new, EZ-Fill cap, or whatever they call it. The door wouldn't trigger the warning, would it?

- Jack

Old 05-03-2015, 05:07 PM
glc
Well, he posted in the 2009-2014 forum, and all those have the capless system. The older ones with caps don't have that exact message. It means there's a problem with the fuel door and it's not sealing the neck.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Well duh! *headslap* I should learn to pay more attention to details (and I used to teach programming!)

OK, there should be no problem if the door on the body side is open or closed, it's just a cover.

Inside, what used to be a fuel cap has a push-down "flap" in the center - that's the best way I can describe it. And, I suppose the flap could be not sealing properly.

I'd suggest taking the funnel that's supplied for adding fuel from a can to the tank and inserting it, then withdrawing it to see if that fixes the problem by resetting the flap. It's not exactly a "flap", and I don't know exactly how it works, but I can't push it open with my finger. Inserting the funnel opens it easily.

- Jack

Old 05-03-2015, 09:27 PM
glc
Checking other forums, there's actually a TSB on this. What you are suggesting is only one of several possibilities.

21018 2008-2010 FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY VEHICLES
WITH CAPLESS FUEL (EASY FUEL) - EVAPORATE LEAK SERVICE TIP.
FOR 2008-2010 FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY VEHICLES WITH CAPLESS FUEL (EASY FUEL) THAT HAVE MIL FOR DTCS P0442, P0455 OR P0456 OR "CHECK FUEL FILL INLET" DISPLAYED IN THE MESSAGE CENTER WITH DTC P0457 AND THE EVAPORATIVE LEAK TEST CONFIRMS SMOKE FROM CAPLESS DOOR, THE LEAK COULD BE DUE TO DEBRIS (SAND, DUST) ON THE SEAL. BEFORE REPLACING PARTS, ACTUATE CAPLESS SEALING DOOR FIVE TIMES TO CLEAR DEBRIS USING SUPPLEMENTAL REFUELING ADAPTER (SRA) FUNNEL OR A STANDARD UNLEADED FUEL FILLER NOZZLE. REFER TO OWNER GUIDE FOR THE SRA LOCATION IN VEHICLE. YOU MAY ALSO USE SHORT BURSTS OF SHOP AIR ONTO THE CAPLESS DOOR SEAL TO CLEAR THE DEBRIS ON THE SEAL. RUN EVAPORATIVE LEAK TEST AGAIN. IF LEAK IS STILL PRESENT WITH CONFIRMATION OF SMOKE, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES.
Further info:

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/check-f...-inlet-121259/

Issue: Check Fuel Fill Inlet error

The Fuel Fill Inlet error is a common problem and has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) released for the issue.

Possible Causes:

Debris on seal
Locking filler plug
Leak
Faulty sensor

Old 05-04-2015, 12:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Ya gotta love progress, right?

Interesting that this is a "common problem" but hasn't been talked about here up to now (at least I haven't seen anything on it). Please don't do a search and find all the posts on it that I've missed.

- Jack

Old 05-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Learn something new ALL the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Check Fuel Fill Inlet?