2009 - 2014 F-150

Clunk felt in steering wheel after day star 1" leveling kit - 2013 fx4

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk felt in steering wheel after day star 1" leveling kit - 2013 fx4

Hey guys, I just put a day star 1" leveling kit on my 2013 fx4 last week and had it alligned. All was fine drove great no noises. Well I live in southern Illinois and we just got hit with a foot of snow and 0* temps and I noticed a clunking coming from the front suspension when going over sharp bumps (like icy roads). I thought maybe I just had some ice stuck somewhere it shouldn't be, so I pulled it in the garage and turned the heat up to thaw it out. Checked sway bar links, tie rods, strut mount, etc. all looked good. Still have this clunk that I feel in the steering wheel. Now I never noticed this before the leveling kit and I never noticed it after the leveling kit before we got the snow either (maybe because I didn't hit and harsh bumps). Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or have this same problem? Truck has 11,000 miles on it, all stock except leveling kit. Thanks

Old 01-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How close does the tire come in contact with the upper control arm at a full lock turn? Check that out while its on the ground. Did you check the steering shaft? Possibly some snow/ice formed up at the base causing a disturbance.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 AM
It doesn't happen when turning. It's only when going straight and hitting a sharp bump. I pulled it in the garage and thawed it out and removed all the snow/ice from around the front suspension and steering box. It was only a 1" leveling kit so I wouldn't assume it would have put the control arm angles that far outa wack?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Had the same thing with my 2.5" leveling kit
I also live in Il and have a foot of snow lol.
Once you touch your suspension... Your F'd it took my 3 trucks to realize that.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you unplug the EPAs or disconnect the battery before installing the leveling kit?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Yep, unplugged the epas when I did the install. It only does it when I hit a series of bumps. When I only hit a single bump it doesn't matter how hard I hit it it sounds fine. I'm clueless..

Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by KC02FX4
Yep, unplugged the epas when I did the install. It only does it when I hit a series of bumps. When I only hit a single bump it doesn't matter how hard I hit it it sounds fine. I'm clueless..
It sounds to me like your truck is automatically engaging the trailer sway control function when you're hitting a series of bumps. It is a common problem on some 09-Up f150s when leveled out. Check your owners manual and turn the trailer sway function off. I believe you can do this after starting the truck by holding down the traction control button for approx 10 seconds. You'll know if it disengages because your traction control icon will flash on the dash. Try disengaging it and then drive it down the street and hit those bumps and see if it stops. It isn't actually a clunk but when the trailer sway engages it can be easily confused with something rubbing or clunking.

Hope this helps.

Kyle

Old 01-13-2014, 08:40 PM
^This sounds like the most reasonable answer. After adding a 1.5" leveling kit to my 2010, I occasionally will get a clunk when turning and going up a sloping entryway or while turning across a dip in the pavement but only with light pressure on the brake pedal. But then again, I don't have the EPAS either.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Interesting keep us posted on the outcome

Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Step 1: Remove leveling kit
Step 2: Place in box with return shipping label
Step 3: Put OEM parts back on suspension to get factory rake configuration
Step 4: Drop package with leveling kit off at Post Office/UPS Store/Fed Ex Office.
Step 5: On the way home stop at Home Depot / Lowes and load truck up with approx. 10-15 bags of concrete mix placed over rear axle .
Step 6: Wait for refund of leveling kit.

Your truck is now level

Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 PM
KC02FX4- If the clunk/rattling sound seems like it is coming from the drivers side, then I have the same thing with my truck. In fact I had the same noise with my 2005, 2008, and 2011. All same tire size except the 2011 which i went from 305/60/18 to 275/70/18
I checked the trucks, my dealer, where i used to work checked it and no one can tell what it is. I talked to daystar and they said it could be the fact that a leveling kit puts the steering shaft in just enough of a small bind, that it could be the noise. Other than that, they have no clue. They even sent me a whole new leveling kit, and it changed nothing. I put around 45,000 miles on all the trucks except the 2011, which is has 38,000 on it now and never had any front end problems that related to the leveling kit. I live in WV on a back country dirt road, so the noise is constantly with me. I see no worries about it other than it being annoying.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:39 AM
Cuz
I have the same noise (2"auto spring level kit) and it's been driving me batty! I've taken it to the Stealership three times and they can't "reproduce" the sound. When I show them the sound that's not good enough.
I have noticed mine only does it when its 35-40 degrees or less. And the colder the more prominent it is. Does you guys truck do this when it's warm out, or just in cold weather too?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuz
I have the same noise (2"auto spring level kit) and it's been driving me batty! I've taken it to the Stealership three times and they can't "reproduce" the sound. When I show them the sound that's not good enough.
I have noticed mine only does it when its 35-40 degrees or less. And the colder the more prominent it is. Does you guys truck do this when it's warm out, or just in cold weather too?
Cuz,

I reached out to you on another thread yesterday, but I wanted to reiterate my offer to lend a hand. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

Old 03-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Cuz
Any resolutions, guys? "Fordservice" and the dealership are of no help to me..

Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Just had a autospring 2" put on mine, I made sure they disconnected the battery and all went well. No noises or anything to report so far. Maybe a little more stiff ride in the front but wife said it felt the same so probably just me.

I would just double check every single bolt and make sure they are all tight , remember you now have 6 nuts to tighten on the top of the strut. Could be thats all it is. If not I would pull the level off and see where your at after that.

Quick Reply: Clunk felt in steering wheel after day star 1" leveling kit - 2013 fx4