2009 - 2014 F-150

Got my coyote Mustang engine cover installed

Old 03-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my coyote Mustang engine cover installed

I bought a take off engine cover off of a 2012 mustang gt. I only had to make one small notch at the backside of the cover but it was just the bottom lip of the cover to tuck the coolant lines underneath the cover. I ended up extending the heater hoses and re-routing the vaccum lines...this was really easy, just a little time consuming to figure out how to re-route the cover since i didnt want to be like others ive seen who hacked big sections from the cover, i wanted to leave the outside of the cover completely intact...here is a few pics of the cover installed on my wifes 2012 BLue flame fx2 Screw.

I like the mustang engine cover on the trucks, makes the engine compartment much cleaner looking. BUT...i prefer the look of the engine compartment of my white 2012 Reg cab..this BOSS intake is AWESOME!!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Now get those coil covers on!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 PM
What is holding it in place?

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 PM
gDMJoe..I plan on the coil covers, i thought about buying the kit from FRPP or american muscle and all the other compaies that ofer the coil covers and intake cover as a kit, but i got too good of a deal to turn down on a take off engine cover, and the guy had the steeda accent trim with it too. I have yet to decide if i want the stock mustang coil covers or if i want the boss covers. Im leaning towards the stock mustang coil covers since the blue of the boss covers are the wrong shade of blue to match te blue flame color on the fx2..if the truck was a different color, id run the boss coil covers...the white truck however is going to get the boss coil covers and the boss intake covers.

JTFX2...the engine cover has ball studs on the underside, you have to buy 4 ruber gromets PN:BR3Z-9P686-A. The grommets are inserted into the big holes in the intake and the ball studs engage the grommets...thats all that holds it down!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 PM
I love the way it fits perfectly. I've seen some on here that have a gap between the cover and the engine. Looks great, thanks for the part #'s.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 03-03-2013, 12:07 AM
They fit just fine, takes some time and thought about how to properly extend and route coolant hoses, and vaccum lines. I used a couple 90degree fittings and ran new coolant hoses from the heatercore to the backside of the motor and ran them just above the fuel rail, so that the cover would clear the hoses and still sit low and not ave coolant hoses running across the valve cover, or out the front of the cover...to give it more of a factory look!

Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 PM
How do you like that boss intake? Thats gonna be my next investment

Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Engine covers hold heat in.

I'd rather see the engine cleaned up.

My 08gt I had cam covers powdercoated, cleaned up the factory wiring. Looks much better
Same with 05 Gto.

Ecoboost is going to get the same treatment when the down pipes go on

Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 PM
well, no option of powder coating the stock valve covers on the coyote motors...the valve covers arent metal...actually if you do the research, they are made from recycled carpet of all things...WTF was ford thinking! the coyote trucks wiring harnesses and heater hoses and vaccum lines are beyond ugly and its not worth cutting and extending the wiring harness just to hide it. the covers actually arent retaining heat. ive got a digital laser thermometer and dont see any difference in operating temps with the cover on.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 PM

SUPERSIX - well, no option of powder coating the stock valve covers on the coyote motors...the valve covers arent metal...actually if you do the research, they are made from recycled carpet of all things...WTF was ford thinking!
If you're referring to the coil covers ... Ford Racing Performance Parts offer metal coil covers .....

Besides that ..... You can/could always paint the plastic coil covers.

the coyote trucks wiring harnesses and heater hoses and vaccum lines are beyond ugly and its not worth cutting and extending the wiring harness just to hide it.
Agree and I'm not defending it, however ..... For 99% of the market share this is just fine. For co$t reasons you have to cater to the majority.

Last edited by gDMJoe; 03-07-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 AM
^^ ooooh, me likey the flat black cover

Old 03-09-2013, 10:28 AM
gDMJoe..yeah they (FORD) didnt want to spend another 4-5 dollars cleaning up the engine compartment in these trucks because they knew that would drive the final cost on the trucks up even farther, and most dont care for aesthetics in an engine compartment especially in the engine compartment of a vehicle whos design purose was for work. However there are a TON of us who care alot about the aesthetic side of these trucks and their engines, which left us completely cold and dry! but atleast the mustang engine cover and coil covers are an easy swap. I do like the ford racing coil covers, but good god they are high priced! and when i speak of being made from recycled carpet, I mean the actual valve cover (what the coil cover mounts to).

Hydro1....its a really simple job, there are other forum members here who have done the cover install in different routes than I did, no matter what way you do it, it looks 100x better than factory and you can find the stock mustang intake covers on ebay for next to nothing, and there is even a guy who custom paints them on ebay or you can get them from multiple companys in carbon fiber.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:08 AM

SUPERSIX ... However there are a TON of us who care alot about the aesthetic side of these trucks and their engines, which left us completely cold and dry!
TRUST ME I know ...

Old 03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
gDMJoe....I had been wanting to do the mustang intake cover since i brought the fx2 home, but was actually unsure of it, until I saw yours. Thats when i had to do it! Thanks for your write up that you posted about the install! There was alot of good information in that writeup!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Well that's getting added to my list.... LOOKS GREAT GUYS!!! I hate how these engines look from the factory. It is a huge let down especially since aesthetically these trucks are the most pleasing to look and even more so with the new '13 front clips and HID's, but I'm partial.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my coyote Mustang engine cover installed