Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got my coyote Mustang engine cover installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gates package

Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Well I hope this gives you all the options. The Gates are better quality but more expensive. If you buy the Dormans you are going to have to swap the O-rings which is very easy and cost less or you can just do what supersix did and use good ol hoses and 90's and clamps. It will just take more of them. So there is 3 options and I am sure someone can come up with another. Of course some have just ran the hoses around on the outside by splicing. I think the quick connectors and the gates power grip couplings will be the best of the best. Hope this helps someone if your thinking of doing this.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Where did you find the Gates 90*? Google doesnt pull them up.

Wayne

Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Nevermind, im retarded. I was typing the wrong part number.

So basically if im reading this correctly, the Gates is as good as OEM will not leak? Has anybody used the Gates connections yet? Do you need 4 90* or just 2 to connect to the heater core?

Wayne

Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Routing

Wayne,
See page 12 and 14 here. http://www.f150forum.com/f38/engine-...14237/index12/
You can route the hoses however you like as long as you can get them under the cover down the fuel rails and then make sure they are not kinked or cutting off coolant flow. Page 12 shows the hoses with the Gates power grip connections that you put on using a heat gun, no clamps. Also a different way to mount hoses by cutting a small edge out. Page 14 shows how I ran mine by looping down and around the A/C line and back up. You may come up with a better idea on the routing, just play around with it. I have 3 of the Gates 90's and am waiting on a fourth one to come in. When they do I am going to use them with the Gates power grip connections and then I will post pics and results. The gates are cheaper if you get them online, like Amazon. Also gates makes all kinds of hoses and Im sure there are some flex type options out there, probably more money. We are using Gates premium heater 3/4 hose.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 PM
I installed the Gates quick-lok 90's with some gates Power Grip thermoplastic clamps using a heat gun. Both work great and no leaks. On another note Gates also makes some heater hose that is suppose to be more durable especially the cover called Green stripe 2 ply and you can get it by the foot off the roll at O'Reilly's. I think its around $5.00 per foot.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Haven't over here much since doing it, but.... just like KPC my Dorman's started leaking so I swapped in the OEM o-rings and everything seemed perfect for a few weeks until yesterday when one started pouring fluid out... not a drip, a stream. I pushed it in and it stopped leaking. Got a set of the Gate's 90's on order, and if those give me any troubles then I'll pull a SuperSix and eliminate the quick disconnects completely, that'll damned sure fix it!

Old 07-04-2013, 11:20 AM
quick question for y'all. when you pull the coolant hoses, do you dump the coolant and replace?

Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 PM
I did drain mine down the first time, but you really do not need to. It is less mess if you do. Supersix told me he didnt either. Since I and we had trouble with the O'rings on the Dorman Quick connects we have had some practice on changing out the hoses more than we should have. I find it easier to put some absorbant type towels or rags around the front engine connections and a large towel at the back under the heater core just to keep if off everything and from going on top of the engine under the intake. I took mine loose from the front and had a small container that I swung hose over to and caught some of the coolant and put back in when done. Then disconnected the back. I have had the gates quick connect 90's on now for 6 days and no leaks yet, But if you use clamps you will have a better chance I would say of not having or developing a leak at this point due to our experience with these. The quick disconnects do not need to be in any bind or heavy vibration or they will leak. I thought it was a good idea because it is suppose to be "Quick" but has been a PITA for us with a custom setup. If mine and Speedtwin32 make it without anymore issues I would say great, but SpeedViktm developed one leak heater core side routed like mine,after he swapped his O-rings on the Dormans. It is possible to damage or twist and roll a O-ring on the install and you usually find out a little later down the road. After i swapped my O-rings on the Dormans I had no leaks and had mine on longer than the others, but switched to the Gates 90's to see how they will hold up. I dont know about anyone else. The quick connects and pipe need to be lubricated with some coolant. Gates said we didnt really need to use silicone grease but could use that with it too. I found out that the quick connects are used to basically speed up production not that they are better.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Gates quick connect 90's still holding up fine so far.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Gates Quick connects with power grips stelar! No leaks not a drop and I have been getting on it hard. The only real flaw ever was the O-rings in the Dorman connectors being the wrong size. I reported it to them so hopefully they will address that issue. I think I posted a quick tip in another thread, but will here too. If you use the quick connects push both o-rings and washer all the way back in 90 housing and lube the O-rings with some coolant and the pipe they are going over. Line everything up including the locking clips on the barb on the pipe with the 90 housing and gently slide 90 on until it locks. If it doesnt want to go on do not force it, check alignment and try again that way you don't roll or damage a O-ring causing it to leak. Just like the factory hoses.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Quick update, I took a 400 mile trip this week and the Gates quick connects are perfect!
All is good still no leaks and I do not anticipate any either.

Quick Reply: Got my coyote Mustang engine cover installed