2009 - 2014 F-150

Does the factory tinted glass protect against heat, UV, etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the factory tinted glass protect against heat, UV, etc.?

I notice the rear windows on my SuperCrew are already pretty dark from the factory, but it appears the glass itself is tinted and there is not a separate film. I plan to tint the driver and passenger windows, but do I need to tint the whole truck or is that overkill? My main priorities (in order) are:
  1. Heat rejection
  2. UV fade resistance
  3. Additional privacy
I'm happy with the tint darkness (privacy aspect) of the rear factory glass, I just don't know if it blocks the heat and UV rays like a good film would. Note that I use high-quality Huper Optik ceramic film on my other cars.

Last edited by BMWBig6; 12-30-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM
I would either have them tint the front the same as the rear windows that are factory. Or make the rear windows limo tint and the front about 35%

Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by nards444
I would either have them tint the front the same as the rear windows that are factory.
But would that only give me UV and heat protection on the 2 front windows? Or would I still have that protection in the back too (from the factory tint)?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't believe so.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
But would that only give me UV and heat protection on the 2 front windows? Or would I still have that protection in the back too (from the factory tint)?
I dont know how hard core and worried you are about UV light and such. I can tell you if you put Limo tinit on the rear its hard enough to see at night then if you do limo on the front good luck with looking out at night at all.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The windshield should but as far as the rest of the side windows IDK???.....contact carlite they supply the oem glass for ford.... http://carlite.com/

Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes the factory tinted glass does protect against UV-A and UV-B. Actually, plain old glass will block out most UV light.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
guy at the tint shop tells me that there is uv a and uv b. the dark factory windows are like cheap walmart sunglasses, they make things darker but let all the heat and uv rays thru. when i got my truck the dealer had the front windows tinted and added on the cost. after i had the truck for a week i noticed the tint didnt do anything. i parked next to my mustang and felt the sun coming thru the tint i had on it compared to the truck and there was a big difference. took it to the tint shop and he says all they put on was dyed plastic film. there was not uv or sun protection. got it replaced and noticed a marked difference. i am thinking of having them darken up the back some with film, especially the slider.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by projetmech
guy at the tint shop tells me that there is uv a and uv b. the dark factory windows are like cheap walmart sunglasses, they make things darker but let all the heat and uv rays thru. when i got my truck the dealer had the front windows tinted and added on the cost. after i had the truck for a week i noticed the tint didnt do anything. i parked next to my mustang and felt the sun coming thru the tint i had on it compared to the truck and there was a big difference. took it to the tint shop and he says all they put on was dyed plastic film. there was not uv or sun protection. got it replaced and noticed a marked difference. i am thinking of having them darken up the back some with film, especially the slider.
It would seem to me there would be a clear product that would do everything a high quality tinted product does, except darken the windows (factory tint is legal in all 50). In many states there is a limit to how dark your tint can be. Anybody caught putting darrker tint on gets a major fine.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by projetmech
It would seem to me there would be a clear product that would do everything a high quality tinted product does, except darken the windows (factory tint is legal in all 50). In many states there is a limit to how dark your tint can be. Anybody caught putting darrker tint on gets a major fine.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by 1depd
There is a clear material.available not sure of the legality as.some laws say nothing can be put on the windshield

Old 12-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by 1depd
Look into Llumar Air Blue. This is what I run on my windshields. It's not perfectly clear, believe it's 80%, it has a slight blue hue to it but we're talking about slight. It was made for windshields to achieve cooling, protect, etc.

http://www.llumar.com/pdf/News/NRAIRBlueLaunch.pdf

Last edited by NastyFX4; 12-31-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:10 PM

OEM privacy blocks the rays, just not the heat. Get your fronts done in 15%, and your rear in 35% if you want to have the rears remain easy to see out of at night. Llumar makes a windshield heat blocking film that is clear called AirBlue. I have 15% Llumar tint all around, with a 5% eyebrow. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Be careful about tinting that is not legal. Iowa and Minn. will write tickets for dark side windows. And, its very expense to remove the tint!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:27 PM
I tint windows at a high end shop as a side gig. Our main line of window film is Llumar. I have all of my windshields tinted with Llumar Air 80. Air 80 on a windshield is almost undetectable, however as stated above there is a slight blue tint to it. Air 80 has a 43% heat rejection and (like all higher end film) blocks 99.9% UV rays.
Checking with your states tint laws is a good idea before having your truck done. If you are using a decent tint shop, they can explain the laws to you. Some states have a very difficult to interpret tint law. For instance, Illinois!
Off the record, one other thing to remember is that IF a cop does have a tint meter, almost always they are the cheap ones that slide over a half way rolled down side window. Very very rarely will a cop have a meter that can tell the % of a windshield. That type of meter is very expensive. At least I can say this about the midwest area.

Busyman

Quick Reply: Does the factory tinted glass protect against heat, UV, etc.?