2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bambi Mod on 2009

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by #16F150
Damn, i just wanted to know what Bambi Mod was....
the poster below you told you!

Lets you keep your fog lights on with the high beam on.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:21 PM
what I mean is, it started a bickering contest and yes, I know what it is from the poster below me....thanks for clarifying that.....

Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Not to add to the bickering, this is just an FYI, but on previous models, this mod was a nice addition that allowed you to run the fog lights with the parking lights only. Some folks thought it just looked cool, and others enjoyed the functionality during low-light early morning or dusk situations where they wanted other vehicles to see them better without "blinding" them with the full headlights.

With the '09's, that's not an issue (and maybe it wasn't on the 04-08, I don't know b/c my last F-150 was an '01) because fog light equipped '09's have this provision from the factory. I just wanted to throw it out there, as the origins and merit of this mod have been debated thus far.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well compared to my '03 -

On my '03, you could only turn on the fogs with the switch in the headlight position.

I was very pleased to see that on my '09, you can turn on the fogs with the parking lights also - that alone is a big plus in my opinion.

Now.....who's going to be our guinea pig here?

I am going to take a look for the fog relay over the weekend, and see how things look compared to the '04-'08.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
All fogs do is lower the field of the light so that it dont bounce back and give you glare. They are no where near as bright as your headlights and your headlights if properly ajusted will make eveything clear that is need to be seen. Unless you look at the first 2-3ft of the road the headlights dont hit! There is no reason to runing fog lights when there's no fog other than thinking you look cool when doing it but everyone else things your a prat and wonder why you have your fog lights on.
wow! If something as minor as running lights is bothersome, you must be strung pretty tight!

I dont run my fog lights, but I am for sure not EVERYONE ELSE. To be honest I dont know if I ever notice if somebodys fog lights are on. There are CERTAINLY bigger fish to fry rather than getting all worked up over somebody's auxiliary lights. Sheesh!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Does anyone else feel like the high beams on the '09s are extremely dim? I never use them because I can see much better with just the low beams. It also seems like the highs are whiter and the lows more yellow.

I have had the instructions for the bambi mod on my desktop since before I bought the truck and have yet to do it. Maybe I'll get around to it this week. I just don't want to damage any interior panels.

EDIT:I'm bored I'll go scout it out. I'll let you guys know.

Last edited by broncobran68; 05-28-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Okay the 04-06 instructions that I have do not apply to the 09. The 09 has only fuses in the passenger side kick panel and one relay(delayed accessories relay-radio, interior lights). The distribution box is located under the hood. None of the relays there are labeled fog lights or headlights. Maybe one of them does control the foglights but it is labeled differently. Could someone that has done this mod on a previous gen tell me the name of the relay that they had to alter? Here are the instructions I followed:

http://www.landstromsfoundry.com/Tec...Foglights.html

Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 PM
I did take a quick look in the manual the other day for the fuses/relays - from what I saw you are correct in only finding a 15A blade fuse that is labeled for the fogs.

Your link isn't working -

Here is a link I had saved which has the relay number in the first paragraph.

http://members.***.net/kinzerford/F-...og_Lights.html

Looks like we might be out of luck - I was really hoping to be able to do this quick mod as I did on my '03.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by stormtech
I did take a quick look in the manual the other day for the fuses/relays - from what I saw you are correct in only finding a 15A blade fuse that is labeled for the fogs.

Your link isn't working -

Here is a link I had saved which has the relay number in the first paragraph.

http://members.***.net/kinzerford/F-...og_Lights.html

Looks like we might be out of luck - I was really hoping to be able to do this quick mod as I did on my '03.
Yeah same basic instructions. I don't think we are out of luck quite yet. It's just electricity. It couldn't be that hard if one had a wiring diagram.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Trying to not let this subject die....

The other night I got everything quiet in the cab while I was driving, and turning the fog lights on and off a couple times.

I definitely heard a relay clicking, so there has to be a relay somewhere. It sounded like it was coming from either behind the glove box, or near the fuse panel in the right kick panel.

I'll have to get my wife out there to turn the fogs on and off while I listen more carefully for the exact location.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Aren't fog lights yellow??????? They were back in the day.
I call them DRIVING LIGHTS as they help illuminate the sides of the road to give you a wider field of vision at night

Old 06-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by spydyrwyr

With the '09's, that's not an issue (and maybe it wasn't on the 04-08, I don't know b/c my last F-150 was an '01) because fog light equipped '09's have this provision from the factory. I just wanted to throw it out there, as the origins and merit of this mod have been debated thus far.
Yes, 04-08's can have fogs w/ only parking lights on....

Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 AM
there has to be a relay somewhere
Truer words have never been spoken.
Aren't fog lights yellow??????? They were back in the day.
Yep you still see some that are yellow - in my old truck I put some of those PIAA "ion crystal" bulbs in my fog lights and they are really yellow. I still call them driving lights too.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I know I don't have an '09, but I had to chime in.

Living in upstate NY, it is the fair game of pretty much having as much light out on the road as possible at night when there are no cars around. Especially on some of the back country roads where a deer will jump out in front of you and total a truck.

I got a set of SD fogs that are about 45 watts a piece, and man, I ran a week without fogs, and man... I'm glad I got them back on. Now it's even better.

But the only difference is that mine are aftermarket, but I'm just saying if you live in an area prone to large animals that can damage your truck, it's a worth while investment to consider a "bambi" mod. As it increases your chances of seeing the animal before it hits you.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I know I don't have an '09, but I had to chime in.

Living in upstate NY, it is the fair game of pretty much having as much light out on the road as possible at night when there are no cars around. Especially on some of the back country roads where a deer will jump out in front of you and total a truck.

I got a set of SD fogs that are about 45 watts a piece, and man, I ran a week without fogs, and man... I'm glad I got them back on. Now it's even better.

But the only difference is that mine are aftermarket, but I'm just saying if you live in an area prone to large animals that can damage your truck, it's a worth while investment to consider a "bambi" mod. As it increases your chances of seeing the animal before it hits you.
Ditto on having 'real fog/driving/ditch lights' on rural roads. You have blackbear up there also and down here we have wild hogs all over and they are not easy to see at night. A few years ago on New Years eve a guy driving his truck down a local road git a gator in the road and flipped his truck into a ditch full of water and drowned.

I would certainly like to upgrade my 'fog' lights as they only seem to light up the road for about 8 or 10 feet in front of the truck. They really seem like a waste. I would like something that would throw out a wide beam to catch the sides of the road. Can these OEM fogs even be adjusted?

Quick Reply: Bambi Mod on 2009