2004 - 2008 F-150

Rust in 08 Screw cab corner

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rust in 08 Screw cab corner

I am looking for opinions. The drivers side cab corner is showing some rust problems. It appears it originated from the inside and is working it's way out. Ford won't do anything because I am out side of the 5 year/unlimited mileage warranty for rust. So far I have one quote for the repair. $1286. I would like to keep this truck for as long as I can. The truck has ~88k miles on it. I haven't had a lot of the mechanical problems others with this era truck have experienced (cam phasers etc...). I replaced the plugs at ~65k with no issues. Is the cost of the repair worth it or should I let it go and keep driving? The quote is with me purchasing the replacement cab corner (~$40) Is the cost in line with the going rate? I think I know what I should do, I am just having trouble swallowing that price. Thanks for the help/advice.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:13 AM

How's the rest of the body? Any rust showing at the inside bottom door seams, bottom of tailgate, rear wheel wells, around fuel door or rockers? If not, and the truck is pristine and in great mechanical working order, I'd personally pay the price and get the cab corners fixed.

It's too bad Ford messed up on the cab corner design on super crews. It affects all 2004-2014 trucks in areas where salt is used. I see a lot of 11th and 12th gen super crew trucks that have rusty cab corners around here.

Edit: I see you're in NC. Do they use salt there or was your truck previously in an area where salt was used? Do you go to the beach often? I haven't heard much about southern guys having the cab corner issue.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Thanks 2008 XL. The rest of the truck is completely rust free. I am the original owner. The first 4 years of the truck's life were spent in the Kansas City, MO area. The last 4 have been here in the Raleigh, NC area. They do brine the roads when there is a threat of ice or snow and I think I have driven on the only beach once. It makes me sick that this is happening because I always take good care of my stuff. Does that price sound about right?

Old 11-27-2016, 01:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Based on what you are saying about the overall condition of the truck, I'd have no problem dropping the money to get it fixed -- especially since you're located in a Southern region of the country where the roads are not a salt bath six months out of the year.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by CJB XLT
Thanks 2008 XL. The rest of the truck is completely rust free. I am the original owner. The first 4 years of the truck's life were spent in the Kansas City, MO area. The last 4 have been here in the Raleigh, NC area. They do brine the roads when there is a threat of ice or snow and I think I have driven on the only beach once. It makes me sick that this is happening because I always take good care of my stuff. Does that price sound about right?
From what I've read from others that have had this repair, that quote seems about right.

I'd definitely have it done.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
It sure don't get no prettier in the close ups .... does it?

Yeah .... if it were mine, I'd fix it and find a way to keep it well oiled / misted / etc from inside.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X3. If you plan on keeping the truck it's worth the money to have it fixed. Those cab corners go quick once they start corroding.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:01 PM
Body shops don't like to work on rust and price it accordingly. My brother has a body shop here in Virginia and the price you were quoted is about double what he charges. We live in the mountains where there is a lot of salt used during the winter. He has not had a lot of later model Fords with a rust problem but he repairs a lot of 2007 & 2008 Dodge, Chevrolet and GMCs. The most common place on the Dodges are the bedsides over the rear wheels. The Chevrolets and GMCs have a problem there as well as cab corners and rockers but the bedsides are the most common.

Generally, you don't fix rust, you repair it. It will come back in other places no matter how sure you are that it won't.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the truck has many usable years left to it I'd spring to get it fixed.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys. I kept my last truck for 15 years. I hope to keep this one just as long as that, if possible. I think I am going to look into having it fixed. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:14 AM
Well, it has been a while since I first posted this. I ended up having the rust repaired. It cost about $900. They did not have to remove the bed. I didn't have to purchase the sheet metal. They were able to fabricate a piece for it, instead. I think it turned out pretty good. Now I hope it lasts for a long time with no new spots popping up.

Sorry for the dirty pic. I should have cleaned some of the nasty pollen off first.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 AM
Looks great!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That does look nice i have been putting mine off for over a year now....

Old 04-18-2017, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure does look nice. The edge of my rockers are rusted and some slight bubbling at the very bottom, so probably a matter of time before it spreads upwards. Going to spray out the holes this weekend, spray fluid film inside and cover the holes back up. I have never done that since I bought it two years ago.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks much better than that last round of photos -- hopefully the repair holds up for you.....

Quick Reply: Rust in 08 Screw cab corner