2004 - 2008 F-150

Mec says wheel hub is causing braking issues. Should i buy from amazon/rockauto?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mec says wheel hub is causing braking issues. Should i buy from amazon/rockauto?

So I'm in my truck and when i try to stop at a light the pedal goes to the floor. Pumping didn't work. I had to go full Flintstone to bring it to a stop.
It happens occasionally but enough to make me not drive her anymore.

I took it to the shop and the mec lifted it in the air and shook the tire back and forth. He said it was my wheel hub was going bad and the braking issue was due to the ABS sensor not getting signal correctly.

Ok got that.

My mec says if I get it he will install it. Now I'm off to find a wheel hub. I found a few on amazon and several on rockauto.

So my question to the wise members of this forum is which front wheel hub should I get?

I have an 05 4wd navigator.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:12 PM
I would suspect a bad master cylinder. Is the ABS light on?

Old 03-22-2016, 10:47 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
If there's play in the wheel bearings, that could be knocking the pads back off the rotor causing a low pedal - but pumping the pedal should bring it up enough to grab.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:15 PM
Yes the ABS light is on.
Here is a quick (30 sec) video of the problem from outside the car. You can see the tire wobble.

Last edited by Royalty; 03-22-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:12 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
You definitely need a new wheel bearing hub. rockauto has the best prices and you can buy several brands including Motorcraft.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
You definitely need a new wheel bearing hub. rockauto has the best prices and you can buy several brands including Motorcraft.
Personally I would go with the Motorcraft brand. I've had great luck with their parts. As long as it's brand that you trust, then source is up to you, and I don't see any advantage of one over another except for price, availability and possibly warranty.

BUT it sounds to me like there's more going on than just a wheel hub and/or bearing! Other than a failed master cylinder or MULTIPLE brake failures, your brake pedal should NEVER go completely to the floor! US made automobiles have LONG used a DUAL hydraulic braking system to prevent things like that from happening. Even with the complete loss of fluid, a wheel, the bearings, a wheel cylinder, etc you should still have full braking capacity with the other brake circuit. I think you need to take a critical look at the entire braking system including that at each wheel.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:33 PM
Gotcha,
Found 2 Motorcrafts on rockauto. Does the $100 difference make a difference?

MOTORCRAFT HUB275 - Part #6L1Z1104E - Front; 4WD; OE Design; w/ Bearings and Races for 192$

Or

MOTORCRAFT HUB23 - Part #6L1Z1104DA - Front; 4WD; OE Design; w/ Bearings and Races for $291

Old 03-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
" Does the $100 difference make a difference?"

I don't know about you. Does it???

Old 03-23-2016, 07:04 PM
haha i hear you but i'd really like the opinion of someone more experienced than myself.

I see a difference between spending money and wasting money.
I could buy an interstate, a diehard and an optima battery and they all perform the same and last just as long. One of them is just much more expensive.

The descriptions on the items are the same. Which would you guys buy?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:56 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Go to a Ford dealer and ask them to look up the correct part number by VIN.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Royalty
So I'm in my truck and when i try to stop at a light the pedal goes to the floor. Pumping didn't work. I had to go full Flintstone to bring it to a stop.
It happens occasionally but enough to make me not drive her anymore.

I took it to the shop and the mec lifted it in the air and shook the tire back and forth. He said it was my wheel hub was going bad and the braking issue was due to the ABS sensor not getting signal correctly.

Ok got that.

My mec says if I get it he will install it. Now I'm off to find a wheel hub. I found a few on amazon and several on rockauto.

So my question to the wise members of this forum is which front wheel hub should I get?

I have an 05 4wd navigator.
My brothers 08 had a wheel bearing go bad. He actually had an accident because of it and had the pedal go to the floor. That may or may not be the case for you it literally pushed the pads out. He had some braking but not enough to stop. He's 2wd so we used a centric kit to convert t to the 4wd style hub they make good parts and have been excellent on the truck. I'd say motorcraft or centric but most hubs will do the job. No sense dumping a ton of cash but at the same time I wouldn't buy a no name just to save a few bucks. I'd say stick to a middle of the road brand or better and you should be fine. I've also had excellent customer service from rock auto and Amazon both so choice is really yours. If you have prime Amazon may be a quicker choice.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the input. Yea not a big fan of the no name stuff. Anything can happen. Don't see why middle of the road Motorcraft would be a bad idea.

I'll get that one.

Thanks again.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I order from RockAuto all the time. Great folks great prices. Order up!

Old 03-25-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on rockauto. I've been ordering parts from them for ... a decade? Amazon is pulling on them though. Rockauto is still my first source for finding the CORRECT part number, but add it to the cart and calculate shipping. After that I shop around based on the "shipped" price. The last couple purchases I did through Amazon because it saved me around 15% off my purchase price and I had guaranteed 2 day shipping. FYI, that was for some KYB struts for a different car.

That said, I hope rockauto never goes away. I use their site at least once a week for random stuff like checking what light bulb a coworker needs for their car to figuring out what sort of ignition system another coworkers truck uses.

OP,
On your hub question, I would buy hub275. My googling lead me to this: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/In...px?part=HUB275
Looks like 23 is the original design, 275 is the new and hopefully improved one. Also cheaper for some odd reason.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:18 AM
Fantastic. Thanks everyone. I've used Rockauto before and agree with everything you all have said. They are the best.

They will get my money yet again.

Thank you all.

Quick Reply: Mec says wheel hub is causing braking issues. Should i buy from amazon/rockauto?