2004 - 2008 F-150

What do you make of this? Video included "steering"

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What do you make of this? Video included "steering"

I wrote half a book explaining everything that was going on with the truck but something happened to the site and log in when I tried to submit it.

Long story short.

- New everything up front except lower control arms, inner tie rods, and rack and pinion.

Problems

-loose steering on highway when tracking straight
-knocking/something loose sound when hitting less than perfect roads/grades
-engine off, turn wheel left & right, very noticeable knock/play

Everything looks good as far as components went. The new stuff is still looking good.

Research led me to believe that it could be the inner tie rods or the rack and pinion.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the video is good.

I would have the steering wheel helper continue their work, while check the items you listed (lower control arms, inner tie rod ends). Your research seems sound, and the tie rod ends would be the cheaper repair. How many miles on the truck?

Old 09-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Bump was this problem ever solved??? I have the same issue and its progressively getting worse im sure it has to the be the rack ... loose or worn out...

Old 09-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Same issue going on with my 04
Would love to know more!!!!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I had the knocking noise in the front end of my 04 Screw. The steering was good though. It turned out to be the strut mounts were broke. On any uneven or rough road it sounded like somebody was under the truck beating it with a hammer. It progressively got worse. I did all of the checks, wheel bearings, steering box, tie rods, bushings, ball joints, exhaust, motor mounts, I chased it for over a year. It was when I measured the height of the front end that I discovered the springs had sagged about 2". So I had the struts and springs replaced with Monroe parts. That's when we found the strut mounts broken in 3 pieces and rattling around. The struts and mounts I bought came with a lifetime warranty. Not that it did me much good as I traded it in on a new one last week. The only way I know to check it is to remove the struts. If you've never replaced them, I'd measure the ride height and if the truck looks like it sits low in the front, you probably need springs and struts. After the install, the truck sat level. I had the bushings replaced on the sway bar as well.
STRUT MOUNT

Old 09-02-2015, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by nathan3306
I wrote half a book explaining everything that was going on with the truck but something happened to the site and log in when I tried to submit it.

Long story short.

- New everything up front except lower control arms, inner tie rods, and rack and pinion.

Problems

-loose steering on highway when tracking straight
-knocking/something loose sound when hitting less than perfect roads/grades
-engine off, turn wheel left & right, very noticeable knock/play

Everything looks good as far as components went. The new stuff is still looking good.

Research led me to believe that it could be the inner tie rods or the rack and pinion.

2004 Ford F150 rack and pinion problem - YouTube

DESPERATE For help on this issue still... has anyone solved this?

Old 09-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Don't you love it when folks come back and tell you what solved their issue?

DESPERATE For help on this issue still... has anyone solved this?
Only way is to have someone rocking the wheel & making the noise while someone else who knows something about the front end carefully and methodically lay hands on each component feeling for play and listening for noises.
Tie rod ends at rack
Tie rod ends at wheels,
Rack mounting,
Any place two parts move in relation to each other.

Whack the sway bar and other parts with a rubber mallet listening for looseness. Sway bar end links for example.

Last edited by tbear853; 09-02-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same noise on my 04, haven't pulled the boot back to see if I'm getting the same movement but it sounds exactly like mine. Any solutions other than replacing the rack?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 AM
when I look at that video, it looks like there is play in the output shaft, move up and down a little bit. I would still check the steering shaft u joints for play first, these go bad!

Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 AM

Quick Reply: What do you make of this? Video included "steering"