2004 - 2008 F-150

Body Lift Realities vs. Preconcieved Notions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the some more perspectives on them.

I know she'll look good, but I'll always be wondering in the back of my mind...when is something bad gonna happen.

I tried to talk myself into one, but I just cannot. I appreciate the good info that y'all put out there, and maybe it will help somebody else on the fence. I'm gonna wait this one out though for the 6" lift and try for 8" total using my Autosprings.

who knows, I may just fork out the $800 for the shipping...stinkin' highway robbery that it is

Old 01-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just pay the charges man....Im dying to see your truck lifted
As far as a BL goes...06+ cost more,cant remember your year. Then you have gap guards,valance,tow hitch and exhaust relocation's to worry about. i was goin to get one but the extra $150 or so for the 06 pissed me off!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tylus
thanks for the some more perspectives on them.

I know she'll look good, but I'll always be wondering in the back of my mind...when is something bad gonna happen.

I tried to talk myself into one, but I just cannot. I appreciate the good info that y'all put out there, and maybe it will help somebody else on the fence. I'm gonna wait this one out though for the 6" lift and try for 8" total using my Autosprings.

who knows, I may just fork out the $800 for the shipping...stinkin' highway robbery that it is

Tylus, i dont think its so much what will break, although that is a big IF/When statement. Its more the appearance of them, I can personally pick a body lift out plain as day. I stand by the statement that they look cheap, because they do... anyway.. Excellent choice. Not sure if it would help, but if you knew anyone in the states who could get it all shipped to them and then get it sent freight to you? I used www.freightcenter.com recently to ship some stuff and they had way lower prices than going straight to a freight company and it was super fast. just a thought..

Msall.. sorry man but supercharging/building this motor was just not my priority. Im happy with the power. Now on the next truck (F250) im going to build the hell outa that motor and do all the same suspension/appearance stuff i have on this truck all over again.

I also like how everyone is ready to bash my truck cause it does not go offroad every weekend of the month. Sorry but im not going to spend 38k+ on a truck, throw another 25k+ in mods and then go thrash it offroad. Id rather buy something that was offroad worthy and build it up to be a beast offroad, but then again im not that interested in offroading

Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 PM
I have a BL on my 02, and I love it, ya it may not be a suspension lift... But I dont really care that much, I dont take it offroad much and it looks sweet. If you have step ups and some gap guards you can make it look really good. And I mean if you want put the BL on for the next two years then when you get back to the states if you really want it take the BL off and put on a suspension or just stack em, cause everyone always wants to go bigger!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
amen to fx4life going off road doesnt mean anything...most of these trucks are street queens, and should be they arent designed for off road abuse

Last edited by bjp207; 01-21-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by FX4life
Tylus, i dont think its so much what will break, although that is a big IF/When statement. Its more the appearance of them, I can personally pick a body lift out plain as day. I stand by the statement that they look cheap, because they do...
X2

I also like how everyone is ready to bash my truck cause it does not go offroad every weekend of the month. Sorry but im not going to spend 38k+ on a truck, throw another 25k+ in mods and then go thrash it offroad. Id rather buy something that was offroad worthy and build it up to be a beast offroad, but then again im not that interested in offroading
Yup, been down that road and it's too hard on a daily driver. I don't see why that perspective always comes in when this topic comes up. So because someone has a nice truck and has it lifted with large off-road tires it has to be run through sloppy mud and trashed? I don't get it one bit...

If I wanted to do all that, I would build something FOR that.

Don't worry about it...you have one of the nicest truck here, keep it that way.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by bjp207
amen to fx4life going off road doesnt mean anything...most of these trucks are street queens, and should be they arent designed for off road abuse

They can take some offroading, but not a thrashing like you said. Im sure there are people who think driving through the mudd once a month, or riding down a dirt road qualifies as "offroading". If i was serious about it I would have toys like MercedesTech has, that to me is the definition of offroading. My truck is a street queen, I just get tired of hearing about it... Anyway back to body lifts vs. suspension lift for Tylus

Old 01-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Suspended
if i had that much into my truck i would be the same way. even with my truck i am hesitant to take it offroading, i occasionally go out but hate mud and just go out and play around for a few minutes and take some photo's and leave. back in auburn i would go out for 4-5 hrs at a time and would have to spend 20 bucks in quarters at a car wash to clean it and it would still be dirty. i bought a second rig so i won't feel bad about tearing it up. but with how much money i have to spend on it to make it exactly how i want it, by the time im done with it i might feel the same way but this time im not cutting corners like i did on my truck and getting everything exactly the way i want it

Last edited by 06yz250f; 01-21-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by bjp207
no problem admitting mine is a street queen. Maybe if I were to buy a 04 FX4 for under $10k I would make it a 4x4 beater...but not my pretty 06 with only 24,000 miles

My last one was a 93 Bronco lifted on 35's that I broke way too many times...and it was usually doing the stupidest things miles from nowhere. I refuse to do the same on my 06.

It's all about the looks. I saw a bumper sticker last night though that I think I'll have to get made. "Does my truck make my **** look bigger?"

Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Tylus, i dont think its so much what will break, although that is a big IF/When statement. Its more the appearance of them, I can personally pick a body lift out plain as day. I stand by the statement that they look cheap, because they do... anyway.. Excellent choice. Not sure if it would help, but if you knew anyone in the states who could get it all shipped to them and then get it sent freight to you? I used www.freightcenter.com recently to ship some stuff and they had way lower prices than going straight to a freight company and it was super fast. just a thought..

Msall.. sorry man but supercharging/building this motor was just not my priority. Im happy with the power. Now on the next truck (F250) im going to build the hell outa that motor and do all the same suspension/appearance stuff i have on this truck all over again.

Amen brother!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Don't worry, you'll be able to use your bullbar with the body lift. It actually look better on a body lifted truck.My body lift been on the truck for one year with a couple of big it and no problem. I wanted to take it off, because i want a 6'' suspension lift and don't want to run 37'' but i'll just run 37''.

Here's a couple of picture of my truck. It's kind of hard to tell it's a body lifted truck. Well i think

Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one is bashing any of your trucks with the "true" lift. They all look good. But I can't stand it, when someone wants to show off their BL expecting to hear a compliment or two and get nothing but major trash thrown at them. I've been considering a body lift myself, but man, some people get carried away with the BL is bad bullcrap. Some people are proud of what they have on their trucks. Though some may not like it and thats fine. But when someone replys with the usual " bl are crap" or "you'll be sorry" or "looks fake" well too me that makes the OP sorry he even posted.

Like I said earlier, its all about whats popular. I know the AS leveling kit is the best leveling kit the world has ever seen....right? But tell me, what makes it better then the others out there??? Bet know one can really answer that huh?

As far as my previous statement that most people with suspension lifts rarely leave the highway, I didn't mean that in a negative way. No matter if I get a bodylift or "true" lift, mine will never see any major off-roading. And I agree 100%, that these trucks are too expensive and too nice to be doing major rock climbing. What I was getting at, was their are numerous people on here that stress so much that the suspension lift give you that ground clearence that you just have to have. For what? It only lifts the frame. Taller tires is the only way your going to have clearence for the axles.

So what I'm getting at, since most of these trucks are pavement dwellers, what difference does it make rather you have a bl or a true lift? They both look good .......well maybe not to some, because of biased opinions, but to others like myself that think they do.

If I do get a BL, I cant wait to post pics. But if members want to trash it and call it junk and cheap, hey, thats fine. But, don't expect me not to throw some verbal trash right back at em!! Thats the joy with forums!!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by UofKboy
No one is bashing any of your trucks with the "true" lift. They all look good. But I can't stand it, when someone wants to show off their BL expecting to hear a compliment or two and get nothing but major trash thrown at them. I've been considering a body lift myself, but man, some people get carried away with the BL is bad bullcrap. Some people are proud of what they have on their trucks. Though some may not like it and thats fine. But when someone replys with the usual " bl are crap" or "you'll be sorry" or "looks fake" well too me that makes the OP sorry he even posted.

Like I said earlier, its all about whats popular. I know the AS leveling kit is the best leveling kit the world has ever seen....right? But tell me, what makes it better then the others out there??? Bet know one can really answer that huh?

As far as my previous statement that most people with suspension lifts rarely leave the highway, I didn't mean that in a negative way. No matter if I get a bodylift or "true" lift, mine will never see any major off-roading. And I agree 100%, that these trucks are too expensive and too nice to be doing major rock climbing. What I was getting at, was their are numerous people on here that stress so much that the suspension lift give you that ground clearence that you just have to have. For what? It only lifts the frame. Taller tires is the only way your going to have clearence for the axles.

So what I'm getting at, since most of these trucks are pavement dwellers, what difference does it make rather you have a bl or a true lift? They both look good .......well maybe not to some, because of biased opinions, but to others like myself that think they do.

If I do get a BL, I cant wait to post pics. But if members want to trash it and call it junk and cheap, hey, thats fine. But, don't expect me not to throw some verbal trash right back at em!! Thats the joy with forums!!
AMEN!!!

I could not have said it better!!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 PM

damn Pat, that looks awesome.

I noticed the bull bar right away, but you're right. Other than that, it is kinda hard to notice. Only a hardcore F-150 fan would know something was up with it.

p.s. I actually like how the steps are sitting lower. Look intentional. You didn't move them up did you?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by UofKboy

We all have different opinions and that's ok. We all like different types of lifts, that's why we have choices. I wasn't trashing anyone's lift and am sorry if you took it that way. I merely was stating my opinion when ask for by Tylus. Truth be known, they're all Fake because they aren't stock, so maybe that wasn't the right word. Everything shifted up is just not a look I like. If that's the way you want to lift it and you like it, that's fine. I PERSONALLY don't like body lifts but that's just me. I used one many years ago on another truck and I just didn't like it. Maybe they have changed ALOT over the years and my prejudice is unfounded.

Now have a beer and toast, because at least we all agree on the F150!!

Quick Reply: Body Lift Realities vs. Preconcieved Notions