2004 - 2008 F-150

Bakflip Drain Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bakflip Drain Tubes

Ok, this is really simple. Instead of drilling or cutting, I bought some plastic 90's from lowes for about $2.00 for two and I cut them down a bit so that the bakflip rails will drain into the stake pockets. I used 3/4 but I think 1/2 would be better. I had to heat and use some soap to slip it on, but not that big of a deal either way. Had this idea for a while and I think it worked out pretty good.

This is what I started with.

Cut with a battery trim saw and a razon knife.

Drivers side installed.

Broader view.

Last edited by hllon4whls; 04-05-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Man that's a great idea!!!! Thanks for the pics....hmmm now what did I do with those drain tubes lol.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:31 AM
How well do you guys like the bakflip system? I have been looking at them because i like how they fit when down. Just wondering.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

That is really clean! If i can ever decide what tonneau to get...

Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by sledger
How well do you guys like the bakflip system? I have been looking at them because i like how they fit when down. Just wondering.
I like it. I havent had it in any weather of any kind. I keep the truck under the carport and only really drive it on weekends.

I like the fact that you can have taller items in the bed, that it doest take any practical bed space when open and can be removed with 2 thumb screws.

I also like that its basically flush and there is no hardware on the top side. Once the tailgate is locked, it's locked.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:47 PM
nice job...i have the rollbak...since i have the canister i dont think i can use this method unfortunately...nice and clean...i just installed the cover last week but haven' t put the tubes in yet b/c i forgot them..lol

Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by sledger
I've only had mine on a week or so, but it seems like it will sure do the job for me.

I ended up doing the exact thing for my drain tubes as well. (Before this thread, but after the hint from hllon4whls... )

I wonder if Mike187 got the shim situation sorted out..

Anyway, so far IMHO

Cheers,
Bob P.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread but I have a couple questions regarding routing the drain tubes into the stake pockets.

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first truck...a 2010 FX4 Luxury Screw. I plan on getting the Bakflip HD cover and Line X. I would really like to route the drain tubes through the stake pockets as shown in this thread, I would just like to know if this poses any potential issues? Do the stake pockets just drain right through to the bottom of the bed?

Also, should I drill the holes before or after I get the Line X installed? Is one way any better than the other?

Thanks in advance for any help and I look forward to joining the community here!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm on my 2nd Bakflip - the first having been ripped from the truck in a weird high wind situation and Bakflip replaced it despite being well out of warranty - speaks to their customer service. There's a old thread of mine here that describes it if curious.

I love mine - I've traveled cross country with luggage in the bed and come out perfectly dry despite pouring rains. I have a Roush spoiler on the tailgate and the flexible rubber lip of the Bakflip makes a great tight seal - it's the only tonneau that I know of that will work with a spoiler like that.

Now, this does cause a small, 1/2 to 3/4 inch square hole right at the corner of the tailgate. Some moisture can get in there but it's an easy mod to just plug that with a small piece of weather stripping.

The BakFlip seems to me far and away the most adaptable tonneau cover there is.

As for this thread - I just cut my drain hoses short and bent them into the stake pocket holes --- the hose crimps but not completely closed and so far not enough moisture has had to flow thru that it's been a problem....

BUT - I love the OPs solution and it's now on my to do list. Thanks for sharing that!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM
2009 F-150 5.5' SuprerCrew Bakflip G2 Drain Tubes Installation

Does anyone know if mm 2009 F150 SuperCrew 5.5' bed has pre-drilled holes in my stake pockets that I would be able to drain my tubes from my bakflip into those, or would I have to drill my stake pockets? Also I have a stock bed liner, that I would like to leave in so I dont really want to remove that....Any other ideas for where to run the tubes if this is not a good idea?

On another question, does anyone know where and if you can purchase the reflectors for the front of the mirrors? I currently have black plastic there and want the reflector look, but I dont want to spend the money for new mirrors with turn signals in them.

Thanks again!!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did I miss the original thread?!? This is a great idea! I ended up running my tubes down behind my BedRug and drilled holes in the plastic coverings near the bottom of the bed wall. I like this solution much better.
BTW, I love my BakFlip...it's a great investment.

Quick Reply: Bakflip Drain Tubes