2004 - 2008 F-150

what shocks do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what shocks do you prefer?

Well it is starting to feel like it is time to get me some new shocks. every one on here seems to sing the praises Bilstein shocks. and I am considering them too but want to know what else people liked. I have been also looking at the monro retrax shock. dose any one here have any experience with them. and if you like the bilsteins can you tell me why? it seems to me the monro retrax would give a softer car like ride and firm up for the pot holes. I just am looking for the smoothest ride and still be able to handle those rough potholes. we have way to many of those arround here.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:42 AM
Go for the Bilstein's. My HD versions, are firmer, but by no means do they detract for the smooth and comfortable ride these trucks offer. They just eliminate the lack of control your factory shocks provide.

Monroe Reflex, I've run them on previous F150's. They too firm things up and offer great performance. But I can't say what they are like on the current bodystyle trucks.

You'll be happy with either one.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 AM
I'm running Rancho Quick Lift fronts and RS9000XL rears. They have adjustable valving, so you can dial in the ride you like and you're not stuck with the manufacturer's idea of the perfect ride. They're a huge improvement over stock.

Last edited by 051fdrof; 04-29-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 AM
I've run Bilsteins on other vehicles and they've been great, just haven't tried them in a new body style F-150 yet though. I've been running the Rancho RS9000X on all four corners of my F-150 for a few days now and can already say they are a huge improvement over stock. Get to test them every day on the way to work where a section of I-295 in DE is under construction. I used to start bouncing around pretty good, but the new Ranchos make it a pretty smooth ride.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:00 AM
yellow OEM Bilstein's

YOMAN!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Now didn't you just say you are done modding???? lol

Anyways, I have the Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks. I love them. They are way better than the oem's. The bilsteins are firmer so the handle really well. But they are not harsh feeling and the smooth out bumps and pot holes better than the oem shocks. I am happy with them.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by jimc2004
Now didn't you just say you are done modding???? lol
Replacing worn out shocks really isn't modding.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Replacing worn out shocks really isn't modding.
If they improve the ride, handling, or stance of the height, certainly is modding!..........

Old 03-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Fox or bust

Old 03-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonkola
Well it is starting to feel like it is time to get me some new shocks. every one on here seems to sing the praises Bilstein shocks. and I am considering them too but want to know what else people liked. I have been also looking at the monro retrax shock. dose any one here have any experience with them. and if you like the bilsteins can you tell me why? it seems to me the monro retrax would give a softer car like ride and firm up for the pot holes. I just am looking for the smoothest ride and still be able to handle those rough potholes. we have way to many of those arround here.

Honestly, if you're just looking for a nice, smooth, compliant ride, then you may be best off sticking with the OEM shocks. How did you like the OEM's when they were new? If you like them, then stick with them.

Upgrading to any performance shock, be it Monroe, Bilstein, Fox, etc., you're going to get a rougher ride. They will provide more control during cornering and such, but the ride will be stiffer... If you're just a daily commuter, and don't do alot of off-roading, towing, or spirited driving, then I'd stick with OEM.

For what it's worth, I have Bilstein HD's up front, and Rancho RS9000XL's in back. I have this setup because I tow a 7000 lbs travel trailer. These shocks help greatly when towing. But when unloaded (90% of the time), the ride is a bit harsh, even with the Rancho's set to "1".

Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Honestly, if you're just looking for a nice, smooth, compliant ride, then you may be best off sticking with the OEM shocks. How did you like the OEM's when they were new? If you like them, then stick with them.

Upgrading to any performance shock, be it Monroe, Bilstein, Fox, etc., you're going to get a rougher ride. They will provide more control during cornering and such, but the ride will be stiffer... If you're just a daily commuter, and don't do alot of off-roading, towing, or spirited driving, then I'd stick with OEM.

For what it's worth, I have Bilstein HD's up front, and Rancho RS9000XL's in back. I have this setup because I tow a 7000 lbs travel trailer. These shocks help greatly when towing. But when unloaded (90% of the time), the ride is a bit harsh, even with the Rancho's set to "1".
I was thinking the same thing. I do tow but not often. I really like the idea of getting the Bilsteins because of the added perfomance and handling. but with a stiffer shock usually comes a stiffer ride. that is why I was looking what else is out there. and the monroe reflex switches between a stiffer then oem shock when on normal driving for perfomance and sofens up when a harsh bump is hit such as a pot hole. This sounds ideal to me. but edlebrock also makes a similar shock that looks like it might be a better design. but I am betting the edlebrock shock is quite expensive. Any one tried those?

Old 04-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by jasonkola
I was thinking the same thing. I do tow but not often. I really like the idea of getting the Bilsteins because of the added perfomance and handling. but with a stiffer shock usually comes a stiffer ride. that is why I was looking what else is out there. and the monroe reflex switches between a stiffer then oem shock when on normal driving for perfomance and sofens up when a harsh bump is hit such as a pot hole. This sounds ideal to me. but edlebrock also makes a similar shock that looks like it might be a better design. but I am betting the edlebrock shock is quite expensive. Any one tried those?
What you mentioned about more stiff on small bumps and softer on large bumps is what I've read on here about the Bilsteins also..I've been considering having Bilsteins installed, but someone on here said when going around a corner and hitting a bump, there is side to side wobble, and the Rancho shocks apparently don't have that wobble. Should I just have Rancho shocks installed instead? How are the Ranchos around turns compared to Bilsteins?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 AM
I have 89K on my HD Bilstein's and they are starting to get a little soft. I can assure you they do not create a wobble as you've mentioned.

I'm sure you'd be happy with Bilstein's, but I'm sure just about any aftermarket shock would out perform those tired old stockers of yours.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:15 AM
My stockers aren't tired, I've just had them put on less than 20,000 miles ago..they made somewhat of an improvement over the 100,000 mile stockers that were on. Most reviews on here say good things about Bilsteins. It's inevitable that no matter how good something is, there are going to be people that complain about them. The way I see it is if they're good enough to be factory equipment on the f-150 lightning, as well as some Mercedes, Jaguar, and BMW models, they must be fantastic. I placed an order on e-bay earlier for a set of 4, only cost $242.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

If you want the smoothest ride possible go with Kings You'll get the handling, performance, and smooth ride your looking for guaranteed!

Quick Reply: what shocks do you prefer?