2004 - 2008 F-150

Dealer broke 4 spark plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:47 PM
DLM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so why does this happen to just the 5.4 and not the 4.6?

Old 11-10-2007, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madcat6183
Ah yes, finally got my truck back and the total of 50% was $1267 and odd change. That was only 50% of the total costs. 18.1 hrs of labor. Now thats awesome. They had to pull the engine, refill fluids, etc and even recharged my AC since it is november and Im sure Ill need it this winter....

Anyways, if I knew how to post pics I would. But just look at my profile albums of photos to see um. They all snapped off but 1, and yes they did follow the TSB's to a T actually. They are even noted with the TSB number and details in my receipt. FUnny because the tech explained what they had to do to me, and yep it was done correctly.

So ya, this does happen even when procedures are followed.
I just stopped by the dealership to get a quote, I talked to a tech I know, they've had many occurences of snapped plugs in the head. Sounds like a big problem to me, this is at one dealership, I wish Thump and the others were right but now sounds like they are just misinformed. He won't even touch the F150's himself unless asked to do so.

Ignorance is not bliss.

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. I changed mine at 16k miles, however, they probably weren't fused welded like the ones in a 150k mile engine. They were very difficult to come out, though.
Hmm. Good one Ford, I'll definitely be talking to a lawyer when mine break off. As soon as I have enough saved to cover this problem Ford created for me, I'm taking it in, it makes no difference now or 5k miles from now. I can't believe I have to consult a lawyer on advice for documentation before I take it in for a spark change. I can't even believe I have to take it in for a plug change.

Last edited by Josiah; 11-10-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:19 PM
The Head tech at Ricart did tell me he planned on Ford releasing a letter to all 04 owners and asking about this problem. He said it ll probably ask for proof to show that people had this problem and plugs snap off and then some type of reimbursement will be issued. He said it ll be within the next year from the way the Ford Rep. was talking but he said until more people report this problem nothing will happen.

Im emailing Ford tomorrow and seeing what response I get back. Also a Ford Rep is supposed to call about my service at Ricart so then I can actually talk to someone get hopefully get somewhere.

Ok time for White Castle and some beers. In MY truck, not the shabby 06 XLT rental they gave me with no sound deadening. It was awful, 4.6L with bare stock options.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Ah yes, finally got my truck back and the total of 50% was $1267 and odd change. That was only 50% of the total costs. 18.1 hrs of labor. Now thats awesome. They had to pull the engine, refill fluids, etc and even recharged my AC since it is november and Im sure Ill need it this winter....

Anyways, if I knew how to post pics I would. But just look at my profile albums of photos to see um. They all snapped off but 1, and yes they did follow the TSB's to a T actually. They are even noted with the TSB number and details in my receipt. FUnny because the tech explained what they had to do to me, and yep it was done correctly.

So ya, this does happen even when procedures are followed.
Did they actually follow the TSB or did they just write on the receipt that it was followed? It sounds like they just wrote on the receipt that they followed it because in your other post you wrote the following....

Quote:
Got a call from the Ford Tech today at Ricart, they didnt have the TSB tool as recommended for removing broken plugs, so they had to go to 3 other Ford Dealers around to get it... They did and they got my 1st broken plug out. Tomorrow they are going after the other 7 plugs which have been soaking for 2 days now. However I talked to the tech today and they didnt know that breaking them free 1/8 of a turn would allow the pen. solvent to seap into the threads so I had to tell them.
Hopefully that ll fix it. I still dont plan to pay more then I was quoted LOL... We ll see how that goes.

After reading that, I'd have told them to STOP, and just tow my truck to a dealer who actually knew what they were doing. Nuts.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=307086&page=2
Step 3 of the TSB states the following....

Back out the spark plugs, no more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. Apply penetrating oil (AeroKroil or equivalent) and fill the spark plug well just above where the jamb nut hex sits. A minimum period of 5 to 10 minutes of soak time is required. The penetrating oil will wick down to the ground electrode shield in this time. DO NOT WORK the spark plug back and forth at this point.

http://www.etoolcart.com/06152.pdf
Therefore they did not actually follow the TSB.

Last edited by Rambo; 11-10-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it's pretty funny how most folks who haven't even looked at the plugs, much less tried removing them, are running around like Chicken Little screaming that the sky is falling. "ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!111one!, half a million F150s out there, and one guy on F150online had his plugs break at 150,000 miles!!!!"

Yes, it is a known problem...and IMO, a **** poor design. Yes, sometimes they break. And yes, sometimes they don't. Until you actually try to remove them, successfully or not, whatever y'all say you're gonna do (talk to a lawyer? please Josiah, don't kid yourself...) don't mean squat.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Nope actually once I looked at the plugs myself they did follow it. I dont know if they did the 1st plug with the 1/4 turn and soak, but they did everything else. I wasnt sure at the time cuz I hadnt seen the plugs. I did now and they did tap, install, etc. the tool and everything. Also they let the oil soak all night and day, which is why it took 1 extra day. After that they did get 1 plug to come out, but 6 others broke, totalling 7 broken.

I mean I cant say that they did for sure, but I looked at all the broke ceramics and they all had been tapped and then processed through. But like I said, its impossible to tell wihtout being there how exacttly they did it compared to the TSB. But the TSB is documented with the ##s etc. so Im guessing they did. Plus I did stop by daily for updates etc. and I cant believ they could lie to me everyday with their stories straight, then the plugs looking like they did.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Just had my plugs done by the stealership $319 at 92,000 miles they had no problems. Thats only for a plug change. Called other stealerships and they were about 400 to 550 . I know how to change plugs , But from what I heard about theses I didn`t want to try!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I'll change someone plugs for $50... No warrenty.. but I'll do it.

I've changed mine twice now. Both time were very hard to remove, but following the TSB and being patient.. you should have a good shot at being successful.

A little preventitive maintence goes a long way in this case.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Quintin
I think it's pretty funny how most folks who haven't even looked at the plugs, much less tried removing them, are running around like Chicken Little screaming that the sky is falling. "ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!111one!, half a million F150s out there, and one guy on F150online had his plugs break at 150,000 miles!!!!"

Yes, it is a known problem...and IMO, a **** poor design. Yes, sometimes they break. And yes, sometimes they don't. Until you actually try to remove them, successfully or not, whatever y'all say you're gonna do (talk to a lawyer? please Josiah, don't kid yourself...) don't mean squat.
what a surprise response Quintin, there is no way you're a Ford Tech

You're right about one thing, a Lawyer is a farcry but breaking the spark plugs is not.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:36 PM

snip...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the topic at hand - as others have said, I agree in thinking the whole plug scenario is being blown out of proportion. Yes, they may break, but until you're there with the socket on the plug, you just don't know.

The thread starter toted his truck in with 150,000 miles on it, knowing full and well that the plugs may break, and surprise, they did. Another poster in this thread had his plugs replaced at 92,000 miles without nary a problem. I personally have replaced them in engines with up to 80K miles with no problems.

There just ain't no way of being 100% sure that you're gonna run into problems!

That's what I'm trying to say. I'm not trying to sound condescending or assholish, and if that's how I'm coming off, I apologize. It's just the honest truth guys. I won't deny that these plugs are a stupid design, and I agree wholly that Ford needs to do something about it...however, beyond a stupid removal procedure and a special tool to try to get them out when they break, it's obvious Ford ain't gonna do nothing, at least not right now. Fretting about it before hand, speculating and throwing stuff at the wall to see if it'll stick, won't help matters one bit. Every engine and every instance is a rule unto itself.

As evidenced in this thread, the TSB doesn't always work. Also as evidenced in this thread, the TSB sometimes works like a champ.

I know it's a sucky way to go, but we (or anyone who tries replacing these plugs) just don't know until we try.

Last edited by Quintin; 11-10-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:56 PM

Settle down Quintin, I have no idea what brought on your insecurity but my post was one sentence, your response; a page. Just about none of your claims are true there. Do not know where the report button is, never complained of gas prices, never complained about buying used parts (in fact I supply links to those who want the same deals), you're on these forums every minute of every day. Get some fresh air bud.

Last edited by Josiah; 11-10-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Josiah
Settle down Quintin, I have no idea what brought on your insecurity but my post was one sentence, yours; a page. Just about none of your claims are true there. Don't even know where the report button is, never complained of gas prices, never complained about buying used parts (in fact I supply links to those who want the same deals), you're on these forums every minute of every day. Get some fresh air bud.
If I was wrong, I stand corrected and retract what I typed earlier. I tend to get a little tunnel vision from time to time. My fault.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Guys, take it to PMs or something. No need to start a war in the open threads....
Just my 2 cents, since Im the guy who's truck just cost 1200+ to get fixed for a simple plug change...

Old 11-10-2007, 07:04 PM

Guys, take it to PMs or something. No need to start a war in the open threads....
Just my 2 cents, since Im the guy who's truck just cost 1200+ to get fixed for a simple plug change...
There's no need for PMs, the issue's been resolved. I stepped over the line.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:31 PM
man this ***** has me worried, I have 42k miles on my truck and I bet that extended warranty won't cover something like this...

Quick Reply: Dealer broke 4 spark plugs!