2004 - 2008 F-150

Is it Possible to add power windows/locks to an STX??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it Possible to add power windows/locks to an STX??

Is it possible to have a dealer install them before you buy the truck?? or part of the purchase agreement??

Im kinda to see that you cant get power windows on the STX. Sure the XL, but not putting them on the STX seems dumb IMO.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Yes very possible it costs ya a couple hundred bucks and you can do it along with getting the remote entry to the truck, the dealership should be able to do it for you right there and add it to the price...its not a hard thing at all

Old 11-05-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by spinnintires
Yes very possible it costs ya a couple hundred bucks and you can do it along with getting the remote entry to the truck, the dealership should be able to do it for you right there and add it to the price...its not a hard thing at all
hmm, then i wonder why ford just doesnt allow you to order it that way on their website.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:23 AM
Look up a member on here named "ChrisAdams"

He added power windows and locks to his STX...

Old 11-05-2006, 02:40 AM
It's odd, I know that a dealer can order an STX with Power Equipment Group. I also know that for the end user, this is not possible using Fordvehicles.com. Seems kind of dumb to me.

Anyway, this has been done several times, but ChrisAdams probably has the best write-up, IMO. Good luck with your venture..

Old 11-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Anyone know if thats the same for the XL??

For some reason you can get an XL with a 5.4, but not an STX. Go figure

Old 11-05-2006, 03:19 AM
Yeah I found this to be wierd as well... my 06 STX came with power windows/locks/fade off lighting/keyless entry. Can you not just order directly from the dealer?

Old 11-05-2006, 10:55 AM
See, yours is factory, perfect example. They let the dealer order it that way (for stock) but if I, or you, were to try and go in and order one like that, it's apparently "not available" using fordvehicles.com. It'ss tupid too, because I know there are a bunch of them out there like yours. I've seen them.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by TexaSTX
Yeah I found this to be wierd as well... my 06 STX came with power windows/locks/fade off lighting/keyless entry. Can you not just order directly from the dealer?
well im doing research right now. Im probably not gonna buy until late in 07'.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:41 PM
just to let you know, Travis at KCautosound has a package deal he sells to the local ford dealers for the STX trucks. It includes power windows, power locks, keyless entry and auto start. The power window kit he said is a direct replacement regulator and works great. From what I understand the kit is less than if you were to order the power group. Just another option.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Huitt24
just to let you know, Travis at KCautosound has a package deal he sells to the local ford dealers for the STX trucks. It includes power windows, power locks, keyless entry and auto start. The power window kit he said is a direct replacement regulator and works great. From what I understand the kit is less than if you were to order the power group. Just another option.

Travis installed a power window kit with door locks and a Code Alarm CA680 remote start alarm for my buddy last weekend. We travelled to Kansas City to meat up with him for a stereo competition and then sunday he did the work on my buddies 2006 STX. He did the whole install in less than 5 hours. We just stood back and watched him work. The window kit was pretty cool. The original window cranking system just bolts in. Remove the bolts and the new power assembly goes in its place. There is a premade harness that he ran through the door boots and then he cut the switches into the door panel. The windows work just as good if not better than my factory ones. He also installed actuators and put lock switches into the doors. Total price tag for windows, locks, switches and the CA680 ( Code Alarms best system) was $1050.00

He now has a picture of my friends door on his site under the power windows section.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:34 PM
what happens w/ the holes for the winders when you go power? I have an sxt and it is manual as well. Also- when you get the manual window group, does that mean your side rear windows just wont go down unless you convert to power? Ive seen all these trucks w/ their rear windows down but i cant do it cuz i have manual windows. Havent seen any way to roll them down either....

Old 11-23-2006, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by xsboost90
what happens w/ the holes for the winders when you go power? I have an sxt and it is manual as well. Also- when you get the manual window group, does that mean your side rear windows just wont go down unless you convert to power? Ive seen all these trucks w/ their rear windows down but i cant do it cuz i have manual windows. Havent seen any way to roll them down either....
The holes are covered with a round cap that you can spray dye to match. Travis was going to do it but he had the wrong spray dye color so he just left it black. That wasn't really an issue since the door has black accents anyways. We thought it looked fine but he is **** about his work and I could tell that it was bothering him that he couldn't dye it...lol

I asked him about the rear windows and he said there was no way to do it. the rear windows are solid mounted. Thats a totally different door for the ones that roll down.

Another cool thing to the window kit is that the switches and lock switches are illuminated. We didn't even notice it till it was getting dark on the way back home. They even dim with the dimmer switch.

He showed us a list of all the vehicles that he could get power window kits for. Pretty big list. Even 4 door kits.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Lots of the SuperCabs have roll down windows, just no cranks. We have put power cranks with remote switches in those. Easy enough job.

Two guys added window cranks to them as the cranking mechanism was in there.

If you have a SuperCab you can not tell if the windows go down without pulling the panels.

Regular cabs the rear windows are staked in, no possible way to make them move without a complete redesign of the door.

You can cover the crank holes in the front door with small dome tweeters.

I hooked mine up, gives me a slightly low sound stage, but you can also just put the small tweeters in the holes and not bother to hook them up.

Paint to match buttons are OK, as are Ford emblems.
We have tried about everything on one or another truck, including silver dollars on one truck. Glued a couple Ike dollars in place. I thought that was a bit tacky, but the owner liked it.

You can add power windows to your truck, keyless entry with alarm pretty cheaply. It will take a full Saturday or so to do it if you are not handy with tools.

A good alarm with two keyless entry actuators costs 65.00-95.00 bucks.
No lock switches but aftermarket power locks can be locked or unlocked even with the engine running, unlike factory units.

Factory replacement power window regulators cost about 90.00 bucks each. These are OEM from Ford and are direct replacements.
We’ve done one of those to six sets of aftermarket 'turn the crank' types. The factory OEM was less work. Cost three times as much but it is also faster to do and faster to operate.

Switches, illuminated, cost about 15-35 bucks a set. Or they come with the aftermarket 'crank type' kits.

So you can do this job for about 200 bucks, or about 350 bucks, depending on which way you go on the window motors.

On my personal STX I bought a Colibri kit for 48 bucks shipped with illuminated switches (Excellent lucky buy) a Ford PowerCode Deluxe alarm/keyless for under 50 bucks, another good deal and a 2004 door lock switch for five bucks. Actuators run an average of 8 bucks a pair.
Then I added express up/down modules for 6 bucks. Makes the windows one touch either way, so the fact that the Colibri kit takes almost 8 seconds to travel the whole distance unimportant.
So you can do this job, with luck, for 115 bucks up to whatever.

A realistic price with factory motors, a decent PowerCode alarm, and nice switches is about 300-350. Then if you do it yourself you can also add remote tailgate locking for another 5-10 bucks.
Or pay someone and enjoy your free time.
I’ve got lots more free time than money, plus I’m a cheap sucker.

Chris

Old 11-23-2006, 03:21 PM
im gonna pull my rear panels and see whats involved in at least putting a crank in the rear windows- i hate not being able to roll them down- i have the super cab(i guess) the larger of the extended cabs w/ a seat in the back. I will prob eventually convert it to power windows. I like the tweeter in the crank hole idea, or i guess i could get a set of door panels from a truck w/ power windows and use the stock switches and not have holes- dono how much that would cost though eyh?!

Quick Reply: Is it Possible to add power windows/locks to an STX??