2004 - 2008 F-150

Buying a Truck Soon: F-150 VS Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a Truck Soon: F-150 VS Silverado

Hi,

I am close to buying my first truck, and after much consideration, I am left deciding between the F-150 Supercrew LX4 or the Silverado Crew Cab LT.

This is going to be my first truck. When I decided to buy a truck, my friends, some who are diehard Chevy loyalists (and Ford haters) convinced me that the Silverado is the best truck on the market. I have to admit that I find alot about the Silverado appealing. I figured that this is the right place to come for being convinced that the F-150 is the better truck. Here are my takes on both the trucks:

Silverado: I actually like the interior. I think that its very functional and I like the way that controls are laid out (audio, climate controls, steering wheel controls, power folding mirrors). The standard V8 has more power than the Fords 4.6. The Silverado is aging and is going to be changed for 07 which I'm not sure I can wait for. I like the front exterior styling of the truck but the rest of the truck is pretty bland. Gas mileage is reasonable.

F-150: Overall I love the way the truck looks. Unfortunately, consumer reports rates the F-150 as being pretty unreliable (Chevy likes to rave about their truck being the most dependable). Reliability is a huge issue for me (I may lease this truck though making this less of as issue). When I drove the Ford 4.6 I felt that it was alittle sluggish during acceleration. I'm not sure how real world gas mileage numbers are.

Also, I am coming from driving a BMW's and Lexus's for a while. While I realize that trucks don't ride nearly as smoothly as luxury cars, I want something comfortable. I plan to use this truck mainly as a daily driver, hauling my lab around (it's getting a bit ridiculous in a Lexus GS400) and for fishing trips with my pontoon boats.

I appreciate your help!

Old 12-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Howdy.

The easiest way to answer your question would be to tell you to drive both and buy whichever you like best...this is gonna be your truck after all, you're gonna have to live with it day in and day out. With that said, here's my opinion.

Regarding the F150, LX4? I think you mean FX4...which all come standard with the 300 horse 5.4L 3V engine. The GM pickups feel quicker seat-of-the-pants wise, as far as exact numbers between the two, I dunno. My '04 Lariat Supercab gets out of it's own way just fine to me.

Interior wise, if you're coming from Asian and European sedans, I think you'll like the interior of the F150. It's the quietest it's ever been. Ride compliance is at it's best too, you'll still know it's a truck, but I think it's the most well mannered truck on the road today.

Quality...well, that's a toss up. Some guys on here have trucks that were/are rolling nightmares. Some guys have trucks that have been solid and reliable. In my case, my truck was a later build 2004 model and I haven't had nothing really but little irritating problems, mostly trim stuff like squeaks and rattles, a broken fuel door hinge (x2), and a few other things. In 30,900-something miles though, my truck hasn't been down for anything more serious than a broken driver's window regulator at the moment. I've got a couple other nagging problems I need to fix, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

In the end, it's gonna be your truck. I don't want to influence you into a truck that you won't like, it's your money and it's gonna be something that you're gonna have to live with on a daily basis. I'm biased, I like Fords, I work for a Lincoln-Mercury dealer, and my dad's a Ford guy so that made me a Ford guy growing up. There's a lot of good trucks out there, test drive 'em, buy what suits you best.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:13 PM
You don't sound much like a pickup sort of person. Stick to the BMW.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:19 PM
if you come onto an f150 forum dont expect to get too many silverady votes. but i do recoment the f150. It just plain out looks better inside and out.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:26 PM
At least you haven’t fallen to peer pressure (yet). I have only owned Ford products and have been happy, so maybe that tells you something about Ford. One good thing is that you have a choice between two American vehicles. Good luck with your choice…

Old 12-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Suspended
..My employer runs 05 Silverado's, ext cabs base model I have a 04 F-150, xlt reg cab I drive booth for work, booth are 4wd.

Chevy likes: Floor is flatter than Ford and the seat's in the chevy are better at holding lose items like blue print's, note books. seat fabric is better than Ford. Entering and exiting the chevy is better than ford due to the lower floor.

Ride is ok, not as smooth as my ford, but the chevy is a lighter truck, off road the chevy feel's like it's going to go sailing into the sky, really bounce's arround ( dose not have the Z71 package )

The 5.3 out performs my 5.4 and get's way better mileage, The day time running lights on the chevy burn out every time you look at them, I also like the looks of the chevy and base models have more features than a xl Ford.

Driver position is more freindly in the chevy.

Ford F-150 have better stearing and Suspension, I can easily excead 3/4 of a ton in my truck ( upgraded tires ) My truck is more solid fealing than the chevy, on road or off my ford handels way better, I do like dash layout in the chevy better than Ford.

My track record with Ford has been so/so as I have owned a 97/02 /04 F-150.. The chevy is cheaper, has more power, gets better mileage and is has a stronger line of V/8 engines than Ford...If your looking for a work truck, the chevy is better, if your looking for a tower and a more solid truck, the F-150 is better.

For the hell of it, drive a Dodge ram, Nissan titan,

Old 12-18-2005, 11:34 PM
I was more or less a GM person. My wife only drives Cadillac, I have leaned to Chevys.
I drove about 30 late model Chevy trucks while helping my sister buy one. These trucks had between 20-60k miles on them. We finally found her a good one. Most had brake problems and tranny problems.

When I decided to buy a truck I drove another twenty or so, GMC and Chevy, mostly one or two years old. These were all fully equipped top models.

Then I drove a new, cheap STX F150. Bought it that day. I've driven it for 15 months. Worst problem I had was a ticking blower motor.

I've modified the interior, messed with almost all parts of the truck. I like it better today than when I bought it.

There were a few F150's with a vibration problem that seems to have only affected the 04 (maybe a small handful of 05 trucks). Aside from that they are very reliable. New model problems happen to everyone.

The biggest thing the new model F150 has over the Chevy (besides looks) is the way it handles. I just got back from Lake Arrowhead, the back way, and I never get over how much the F150 handles better than any other truck on the road.

I’m not really a ‘truck person’ though I’ve owned upwards of twenty. During the same 40 years I’ve owned over a 100 cars, including 2002ti, MB 300, 380sl, 3 Vettes, an XKE, MGB’s Spits, etc. etc. so I like sports cars. This truck is the closest thing to a sports car with a bed on the market. I don’t mean the power, I mean the road manners.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Suspended
base modle ext cab 4x4 chevy short box 05 was 31,000 Cdn ( bought in a fleat deal ) My 04 F-150 was in the upper $35,000 range... FX4 super crews and super cabs are running arround $40,000list Cdn for a 06

Old 12-19-2005, 12:13 AM
With the chevy you get drum brakes and efans

Old 12-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill keep this short. Been huntin the past week and we rode with my uncle in his new 05 crew cab chevy with the z-71. That made me think even less of chevy. We did alot of off road and gravel road driving. The interior rattled when driving over washboards and rode rough as hell. The back seat was so hard to get in and out of due to less room than my 05 lariat. It got WORSE mileage than my 5.4 doing the same hunting routine a day after. (13.1 VS. 13.8) Was not impressed. Their cloth seats are better than fords cloth i think. The interior lay out is cheap and horrid compare to my lariat. It sits so low to the ground we bottomed out nearly every snow drift we hit. The 5.3 isnt any quicker than my 5.4. Hence, ive ran against 3 and won each time. They feel faster but they arnt. I know for a fact that hes had warrenty issues with his. Mines been clean.

Test drive both and make sure they are EQUALLY equipted before making any judgements. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Yes, I meant FX4. I have driven both the Silverado and the F-150, but not an F-150 with the 5.4L engine, so I will have to do that.

I did drive the Ram and the Titan (Tundra too for that matter). I won't even consider the Japanese models. The Ram is a great truck too, but I found the size of its back seat to be too small. And while I do like the Hemi engine, it is not to great with fuel economy. Also, I rarely see the Hemi without the 20 inch wheels, which I do not want.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Suspended
Well my vote is for the F-150 seeing as I have one and don't regret buying it in the first place.

Honestly though, I pulled out two Chevys tonight burried on their frame, both with 35s and another friend with a Chevy broke his. Transfer case shot, front driveshaft was toasted, and slip yolk was gone. Oops!

Old 12-19-2005, 12:41 AM
I work for Ford, so you know what my vote is going to be. You need to see the "Truth About Trucks" thing on Ford's website. I am pretty sure your mind will be made up by then. If not, then enjoy your new Silverado. The F-150, aside from being the best-selling pickup truck 28 years in a row, is also the only pickup to receive the highest possible safety ratings for both side and frontal impact crash tests, and also the "Best Pick" by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The F-150 can pull more, looks better, and has a stronger frame, not to mention thru-welded crossmembers, etc..

I know, I probably sound like an F-150 commercial, but it's true. Not only did I get to meet Rick Titus in person, and hear what he had to say about the F-150, but I also believe in what I sell. Trucks are NOT about going fast, so who cares if the Chevy's got more power. When you're a Ford guy like me, the choice is obvious. Well, that and I get D-plan.

Oh yeah, I'm on my second 04+ F-150, and I wouldnt drive a Chevy if someone gave one to me.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:43 AM
buy the ford, the 5.4 is a well built motor it will out tow a chevy that is equally equiped, the back seats fold up nice for your dog. I read that someone said that the chevy was cheaper, never seen that before, make sure you compare two equal trucks. I hate when people compare trucks that are not equal. Lets be fair take out a 35000 ford and a 35000 chevy and then see what one is better.

GOOD LUCK

Old 12-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by MrMav
Hi,

I am close to buying my first truck, and after much consideration, I am left deciding between the F-150 Supercrew LX4 or the Silverado Crew Cab LT.

This is going to be my first truck. When I decided to buy a truck, my friends, some who are diehard Chevy loyalists (and Ford haters) convinced me that the Silverado is the best truck on the market. I have to admit that I find alot about the Silverado appealing. I figured that this is the right place to come for being convinced that the F-150 is the better truck. Here are my takes on both the trucks:

Silverado: I actually like the interior. I think that its very functional and I like the way that controls are laid out (audio, climate controls, steering wheel controls, power folding mirrors). The standard V8 has more power than the Fords 4.6. The Silverado is aging and is going to be changed for 07 which I'm not sure I can wait for. I like the front exterior styling of the truck but the rest of the truck is pretty bland. Gas mileage is reasonable.

F-150: Overall I love the way the truck looks. Unfortunately, consumer reports rates the F-150 as being pretty unreliable (Chevy likes to rave about their truck being the most dependable). Reliability is a huge issue for me (I may lease this truck though making this less of as issue). When I drove the Ford 4.6 I felt that it was alittle sluggish during acceleration. I'm not sure how real world gas mileage numbers are.

Also, I am coming from driving a BMW's and Lexus's for a while. While I realize that trucks don't ride nearly as smoothly as luxury cars, I want something comfortable. I plan to use this truck mainly as a daily driver, hauling my lab around (it's getting a bit ridiculous in a Lexus GS400) and for fishing trips with my pontoon boats.

I appreciate your help!
I did some research before I buy mine last month, check this as part of your research http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/truth/ it will be an interesting site

Quick Reply: Buying a Truck Soon: F-150 VS Silverado