2004 - 2008 F-150

NC Owners - Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tint Question

NC State law according to what I am understanding is 35% max Tint on the front windows. Anyone have less in NC, and have you had problems with NC inspection? I'd like to go 20% because I think the truck would look better with a near match from front to back. Those with pictures of tint on their truck at 35% front, please show so I can determine how it looks. Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by DeadEye 04; 11-17-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:48 AM
Old 11-17-2005, 06:50 AM
I would keep in the legal limits dude. I have had like 5-6 vehicles tinted in NC and keeped them all within the "legal" limit. Some inpection stations do the light test some don't but you dont wanted to get busted for going Florida dark on your windows then have to peel it off or whatever. With trucks like ours that have the factory smoke in the sides and back it does not look that bad. My BMW had to get all 5 windows tinted becuase there is like nada from the factory and it hardly looks tinted. Keep it legal bro.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:21 AM
I have not added any extra tint up front. However, when I got my inspection done, they were VERY strict about it. I would love to match the front to the back, but I dont want to deal with the hassle of inspection season.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Well, that's what I'm thinking too. I'm wondering how the 35% will look upfront with the factory tint. Anyone have any pictures of their truck with 35% up front I can see before doing this?

Old 11-17-2005, 09:27 AM
i live in NC and do alot of traveling statewide. I've come to the conclusion that cops will pretty much never ever check you (watch me get checked today) but i've had 20% on my old tahoe (just got a new 150) and have never had a problem. In reference to the inspections...there are enough guys out there that want the business to get it done. I've found that just being upfront with the guys and telling them they're going to have to bend a little for you works well...

Old 11-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by mrjdshorty
i live in NC and do alot of traveling statewide. I've come to the conclusion that cops will pretty much never ever check you (watch me get checked today) but i've had 20% on my old tahoe (just got a new 150) and have never had a problem. In reference to the inspections...there are enough guys out there that want the business to get it done. I've found that just being upfront with the guys and telling them they're going to have to bend a little for you works well...
I don't have a problem with asking. That gives me a little hope for that cause. Thanks

Old 11-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by DeadEye 04
I don't have a problem with asking. That gives me a little hope for that cause. Thanks

Hold up The fine for tinted windows that are darker then leagal is $200 bucks. Not to mention that you have to get it inspected every year. 32% is the darkest it can regester on the tint meter. I can assure you that if you drive through Cary and your truck has any mods besides tinted widows Cary's Finest will be checking you out. ( I speak from experince).

Old 11-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by jdoggfx4
Hold up The fine for tinted windows that are darker then leagal is $200 bucks. Not to mention that you have to get it inspected every year. 32% is the darkest it can regester on the tint meter. I can assure you that if you drive through Cary and your truck has any mods besides tinted widows Cary's Finest will be checking you out. ( I speak from experince).
Avoid the coffee shops on Walnut Avenue and the doughnut shop on Kildaire Farm and you stand a 70% chance or better of getting through town without carrying out extra paperwork.

Pictures of 35% installed on the truck? Anybody?

Old 11-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by DeadEye 04
Avoid the coffee shops on Walnut Avenue and the doughnut shop on Kildaire Farm and you stand a 70% chance or better of getting through town without carrying out extra paperwork.

Pictures of 35% installed on the truck? Anybody?

I've got 32% on mine but I don't have a pic right now I'll try to get one.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:55 AM
personally, I think that the it looks alot better if you just match your stock windows. I'm rolling around with 15 percent on the front two windows because thats what the rear windows are and I have been pulled over several times for speeding and all I do is roll the windows down in the front when they come up so they can see them. It works up here in massachusetts and ct

Old 11-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have 35% on my windshield, It works good there, but for the front side windows I would reccomend 15, or 25%

Old 11-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by -TXF150-
I have 35% on my windshield, It works good there, but for the front side windows I would reccomend 15, or 25%

That's the look I want...Nice

Old 11-17-2005, 12:15 PM
i've got 20% on my fronts, and im going back to have mine darkened. in MD they have the same 35% law, but every car i've had has had at least 20% on it and i've had no problems. cops dont seem to care unless they're impossible to see through. im actually thinking about putting a layer of 35% put over my current 20 so that i'll have around a 7-10% tint all around. i dont see why its such a big deal other than safety for the cops... its alot safer for your stuff inside... and keeps your interior cool in the summer and warm in the winter

here's the most recent pic of my truck with 20% in the sunlight -

and another:

as you can see, you can pretty much see right inside when youre in the sun, and at night from the outside you can still see the guages when theyre lit. as long as the cops can still make you out inside, i dont think they'd really care

Last edited by ziggaboo; 11-17-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 PM
I have a SCab with 18% on the driver and passenger side windows with a 5% glare strip on the windshield. Best thing to do, is find someone who does inspections in the country. Im from south eastern NC and thats all I did. And I am going to redo the back glass and back side windows by putting 5% on them. 35% is legal on the front (2) windows, but you should be able to go just as dark as you like on the rest.

Quick Reply: NC Owners - Window Tint Question