2004 - 2008 F-150

Audiophile blares in slow, sharp turns...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audiophile blares in slow, sharp turns...

I have been searching on this problem for a while, but haven't really found anything...

I bought a 2004 Audiophile head unit and installed it in my 2005 FX4 supercrew, and sometimes when I am turning at slow speeds (and this is ONLY during sharp slow turns) my radio blares really quickly for less than a second. It is loud enough to make you jump everytime! Does anyone else have this problem or have any idea what it is?? I will probably take my truck into the dealership, but I don't think they would replace my Audiophile unit with another Audiophile unit since only the 6-disc MP3 non-Audiophile was original equipment...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Old 11-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm glad I ain't the only one. With the original single disc CD unit, mine would do the same thing - when making slow turns, every now and then the volume would spike up then come back down to its previous level. I never got around to fixing it, I replaced the '04 head unit with an '05 CD-6/MP3 head unit I bought off EBay. No problems since. It may be something in the head unit since mine hasn't done it since I upgraded. Originally, I thought it had something to do with the steering wheel controls, but since it does it in your FX4, we can rule that out.

ETA - And since you're running an '04 head unit, and I got an '05, this further reinforces that it may be something in the head unit.

Last edited by Quintin; 11-08-2005 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't those units have a built in volume control that increases volume at highway speeds in order to overcome wind noise? I'd suspect that the sensor is faulty, or else it's shorting out on tight turns. Do you have steering wheel controls?

(BTW, I have no clue- just guessing here)

Old 11-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
RJS, I thought it might have had something to do with the speed control volume at first, but mine did it whether the SCV was on or off. I've got steering wheel controls, FX4s don't, so I'm ruling a faulty or sticking switch out.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:47 PM
mine 6 disc audiophile has done this before as well... about 3-4 times over hte course of 10 months.... no idea why

Old 11-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take it into the dealership. When we would have a car in for radio problems we used to always pull them out and send them in for service. As long as it is a Ford radio I would try it.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm having a similiar issue... its not severe volume changes, but it seems as if the volume seems muffled for 15-25 seconds or so, then back to normal.

05 6-CD MP3...

Old 11-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by RockyJSquirrel
Don't those units have a built in volume control that increases volume at highway speeds in order to overcome wind noise? I'd suspect that the sensor is faulty, or else it's shorting out on tight turns. Do you have steering wheel controls?

(BTW, I have no clue- just guessing here)
That was my guess, try going under SPEED VOL under the radio menu and turn this feature to off or 0. I notice mine fluctuating when I take off and stop, b/c I have this feature turned on, but it is never sudden or drastic. May need a new H/U.

Quick Reply: Audiophile blares in slow, sharp turns...