2004 - 2008 F-150

UnderCover roll call!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cajun04screw
How well does the light work in lighting the bed. It seems that the light is on the part of the cover that is in the air and not put light in the bed.

Also how much is just the light? Thanks
I have only used the light once so far and I'd say it does an "OK" job of lighting the bed.

I think someone mentioned the new locks and light for 20 bucks a couple pages back. I don't know about the installing of the light on an older version though..think you would need to do some cutting....

Last edited by Doo2theSea; 02-20-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Looks good Doo2theSea! Also, now that you have it, do you think its paintable? I know undercover claims it is but in your honest opinions would it be worth it? Would it be difficult to do? Ive been on the fence on this one for awhile now. Any help would be great. I really like the fact that it is so lightweight and durable. Looks sharp though...

Later,

Luis S

Old 02-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Luis S
Looks good Doo2theSea! Also, now that you have it, do you think its paintable? I know undercover claims it is but in your honest opinions would it be worth it? Would it be difficult to do? Ive been on the fence on this one for awhile now. Any help would be great. I really like the fact that it is so lightweight and durable. Looks sharp though...

Later,

Luis S
Hi Luis -

To be quite honest I would not paint the top. It doesn't seem like it would hold well without a TON of prep work. I imagine that if anything was to hit the paint it would easily peel off too. I thought about it but after looking at it for a week I'm plenty happy with it just black.....

Old 02-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Cool. Thanks for getting back to me. I guess it might be more hassle than its worth afterall.Thats a shame I like the look of the cover and the fact that its so light. If only they came out with a glossy variant. Id be all over it!

Thanks again,

Luis S

Old 02-21-2006, 10:18 AM
I was the one who ordered the Undercover mid January and I asked to get a cover with a light and new locks and it didnt come that way. I called up Undercover direct and let then know what happen and gave them some info and they gave me the locks and light for $20+ shipping $26 total. The new locks are worth it. The light is so so but both are very easy to install. The cover was easy to install also and is worth the money but I wouldnt paint it.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I was the one who ordered the Undercover mid January and I asked to get a cover with a light and new locks and it didnt come that way. I called up Undercover direct and let then know what happen and gave them some info and they gave me the locks and light for $20+ shipping $26 total. The new locks are worth it. The light is so so but both are very easy to install. The cover was easy to install also and is worth the money but I wouldnt paint it.
So you installed both the new locks and the light yourself? Would you mind including more details please? Tools necessary, time taken, difficulty, etc.

I have an 'old' Undercover and would love these new additions.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by ToddziLLa
So you installed both the new locks and the light yourself? Would you mind including more details please? Tools necessary, time taken, difficulty, etc.

I have an 'old' Undercover and would love these new additions.
Very simple install:
Light install: Right behind the strap there is a little dimple drill a 1-1/8 hole install light and two little supplied screws hold it in place. The light is battery operated. Not the best lighting but better then nothing. I will be hardwiring something later on if I need it.
Lock install: Open cover unscrew philips screw that holds locking slide arm, then unscrew large nut that holds locks to cover. Pop out old locks, it will not come out that easy because it is silicone in. VERY IMPORTENT with new locks you cannot unscrew philips screw that holds in locking slide arm. The new locks must go in as one complete unit. (if you unscrew the philips screw the lock is garbage because there is a bearing inside that has to be seated) Installing the new lock is orkward but will slide in. After its in, install large nut under neath and your done. Locks are labeled passenger and drivers side. On a scale of 1-10 this install is a 2 very easy. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry tools needed: philips screw driver and channel locks or plyers. I also used a unibit to drill hole for light but a drill bit will work just as good. Unibit are expensive if you dont have one. Time taken 15 minutes with beer.

Last edited by 05supercrew; 02-21-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks 05supercrew I have the old locks also and will be upgrading shortley.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by cajun04screw
Thanks 05supercrew I have the old locks also and will be upgrading shortley.
No problem the new locks are a lot better and easier to use.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Has anyone installed the uncdercover w/ the factory bed cover? I looked online for a document on the cuts you need to make to the bedcover but haven't found anything. It doesn't seem to complex but if someone out there has already done please share your experience.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sthorn
Has anyone installed the uncdercover w/ the factory bed cover? I looked online for a document on the cuts you need to make to the bedcover but haven't found anything. It doesn't seem to complex but if someone out there has already done please share your experience.
I have a Ford factory bedcover, and I had my Undercover professionally installed. To install the Undercover, some cutting of the bedliner was required. The rear bracket on each side required removing a 2"x1"x1" piece in order to fit the back part of the bracket (i.e., the part of the bracket closest to the back of the bed). The front bracket required making a slot that was about 1" long and 1/4" wide to fit the front part of the bracket (i.e., the part of the bracket closest to the tailgate). Overall, the alterations made to the factory bedliner are minimal and, if you take your time, they will be hardly noticeable.

I'd recommend using a Dremel with a cut off wheel (or similar tool) to make the cuts.

Last edited by C-17 Pilot; 05-13-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks Much C-17!!!

Old 03-30-2006, 07:38 PM
ok guys I got mine today $650. I too am concerned about the way the front edge near the front is curved. I opened the box and installed the cover in front of the place of purchase so no dremel here. like the person in this thread my cover seems worse??
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ght=undercover
I like it so far and the wife did'nt react like I expected, she was " cool beans " any how heres the link to my gallery,https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=10859

Quick Reply: UnderCover roll call!