2004 - 2008 F-150

UnderCover roll call!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UnderCover roll call!

Hey folks,

I have changed my mind from getting the TruXedo Lo-Pro to the UnderCover. The cheapest I have found was $599 delivered...is that a pretty good deal?

Also, to those of you who own them, how do you like them so far? Have you experienced any rattles either on bumpy roads or at highway speeds? Did you install it yourself? Of course the manufacturer says it is easy to remove, but just how easy and how much time does it take for one person to do it? I searched through a lot of threads and didn't come up with what I was looking for.

Sorry for so many questions...just want to get all the info before I order!

Old 09-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love mine. $575.00 installed. You really need 2 people to take it off. My wife and I can take mine off in about 3 minutes. It's really strong, I can get up on it and wash the roof of the truck. It dosn't rattle and it helps cure the bed shakes.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Had mine for about a year and a half. Still looks great. Never had water get in the bed even when washing the truck. Very strong. I stand on it to wash roof, kids and wife sit on it for tailgating. I agree with kd4crs, it is really a two person job to remove but only because of bulk. It is light. I have removed mine by myself when necessary. Install is quick and easy, dont pay extra for it.

I made one mod to mine. It comes with basic rings (like for your keys) to secure it near the cab. I drilled the holes out a little and put two small black pad locks on. Not really for security but it sure is easier to remove then splitting those rings.

Highly recommend it.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:28 AM
I also have an undercover. I think it looks pretty. Especially since my truck is gray with black trim. It looked like a hot rod from the back when it had the raked look. Since I got the leveling kit, it looks like a regular bedcover. Also very strong, especially since I weigh 210 lbs, and can stand on top of it to wash my roof as well. I can put it on by myself, but taking it off and putting it on is definitely much easier with a second person, since it really doesn't weigh much at all. The only downside to the design is how the cover is secured near the cab. They give you these cheesy keyring type rings to secure the front. I reamed it out and put some small suitcase padlocks, not because the padlocks make it only a tad bit more secure, but the padlocks have a thicker piece of metal that won't bend. Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:09 AM
Another vote for Undercover.

I've had mine for a couple months and its great. As stated above, removal really is a two person job, only because of the bulk of the Undercover. Very sturdy and I've never had water in the bed or on my Bedrug. I also got rid of the cheesy rings at the bulkhead and bought some small carabiners from REI. This makes it much easier to remove when needed.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Geez how big did you ream out the holes for the carabiners? Are they really small? I looked for some but they were all too big so I went with locks.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by vader716
Geez how big did you ream out the holes for the carabiners? Are they really small? I looked for some but they were all too big so I went with locks.
Vader - REI has these little mini carabiners for about $2 each (located on the key chain rack at the front of the store). I barely bored out the holes to make them big enough. Anyway, makes it real easy to get the top on/off.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Suspended
One quick question, does dirt ever get inside the bed with it on? Another thing Im worried about is dirt getting lodged between the bed cover and the paint. My last question, how much do they weigh?

Old 09-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
One quick question, does dirt ever get inside the bed with it on? Another thing Im worried about is dirt getting lodged between the bed cover and the paint. My last question, how much do they weigh?
1- Dirt, nor water ever get inside the bed. The Undercover has a rubber seal along the bed rail track. Also at the bulkhead is a rubber flap that overhangs preventing environmentals from entering.

2- The Undercover just barely overhangs the bedrails for a nice uniform fit. No worry about dirt affecting the paint.

3- I think they weigh more than the advertised 65lbs.?.? I have taken the Undercover off by myself, but it wasn't fun. Both the wife and I have no problem putting on/off with two people.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Suspended
I want one just for the fact that someone said it got rid of bed shake a little but I'd be taking it off and putting it back on too much..maybe a toolbox will do the same thing?

Old 09-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. Wonder if there is an online merchant with those small carabiners?

Also if anyone can e-mail me a cheaper place than $599 shipped (to a commercial address), please do!

Old 09-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Biggest damn trunk I've ever had! $550-ish installed, special price with Bedrug combo from local truck accessory shop...

Old 09-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by dzervit
Biggest damn trunk I've ever had! $550-ish installed, special price with Bedrug combo from local truck accessory shop...

And do you too stand on it to wash your truck?

Old 09-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
And do you too stand on it to wash your truck?
Now that would be the TRUE test! If you do, I want pictures of it! Think about it dzervit, you could be a star. The spokesman for Undercover, the world's strongest bed cover!

Old 09-20-2005, 04:08 PM
If it could hold me and/or dz I will buy stock in the company!!!

Quick Reply: UnderCover roll call!