2004 - 2008 F-150

Undercover Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undercover Question

Well I got my Undercover yesterday. It was cheaper for me to buy it locally and have it installed than order it delivered to my house. There is only one thing that is bugging me though. The front corners near the cab where it rolls over the bed cap and forms a point that follows the body line ....there is a fairly large gap between the cover and the bed cap. Looks like it has been cut out for clearance, but much farther than it looks like it needs to be. I just don't like the look of it. I am wondering if they come this way or if the place that installed it trimmed it that way. They told me it came that way, but it sure looks like it was trimmed. Wish I could post a pic.

Anyway, I would like to know from others with the cover if that is the way theirs is.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2006, 10:55 AM
MosineeFX4,

Were you able to get the new Undercover (one with the new locks & LED light)? Did Truck Shop USA have any in stock, or did they have to order it direct from Undercover?

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by buckslayer5676
MosineeFX4,

Were you able to get the new Undercover (one with the new locks & LED light)? Did Truck Shop USA have any in stock, or did they have to order it direct from Undercover?

Thanks.

They order from a warehouse. When he ordered it, I made sure to tell him that I wanted one with the new locks and light. He said he checked with the warehouse and that was all they had....new stock. Well, you probably guessed by now, it did not come with the new locks or light. The guy at Truckshop USA is going to get them for me and have them drop shipped at my house.

I am still thinking that they trimmed the cover too much in the front corners, but I have not seen another one in person, so I don't know for sure. hopefully someone on here will ease my mind and let me know if they all come that way.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by MosineeFX4
They order from a warehouse. When he ordered it, I made sure to tell him that I wanted one with the new locks and light. He said he checked with the warehouse and that was all they had....new stock. Well, you probably guessed by now, it did not come with the new locks or light. The guy at Truckshop USA is going to get them for me and have them drop shipped at my house.

I am still thinking that they trimmed the cover too much in the front corners, but I have not seen another one in person, so I don't know for sure. hopefully someone on here will ease my mind and let me know if they all come that way.
I ordered mine in January and told the people I wanted the new one also, same results. I called undercover direct and told them that I requested the new one and recieved the old one. They shipped out the new locks and light for $20 + shipping $26 total. Very easy to install. The light isnt that great but is better then nothing.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
It is probably UC over compensating. I got an early model for my 04 and I didnt notice until it was too late but it rubbed right where you are talking about. They said they noticed the problem and suggested I sand it down to increase the clearance. I have and that helped.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by vader716
It is probably UC over compensating. I got an early model for my 04 and I didnt notice until it was too late but it rubbed right where you are talking about. They said they noticed the problem and suggested I sand it down to increase the clearance. I have and that helped.
Thanks for the reply.
This is alot more than sanded down. The corner shape is alright on the outer surface. It is the "rolled over" surface (the short surface that faces the back of the cab) that is cut out. it is cut out from about the hinge point around to the forward facing corner point of the tonneau. Hard to explain, but if you stand near the drivers door and look at the front corner between the hinge point and the side of the truck you can easily see a big gap between the cover and the bed rail like it was trimmed out too much. I really do hope they come that way, because then I'l just have to live with it. If not there will I'll be making a trip back to the shop I bought it at. It bugs me that much.

Anyone else have this? Thanks

Old 03-23-2006, 12:29 PM
I'll take a picture today and upload it tonight (if I can remember). You can see what the original UC looked like....I'm having a hard time picturing what you are describing.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:55 PM
This?

MosineeFX4, are you talking about this section?

I got mine last summer and that gap on my Undercover is fine. I am guessing that yours got overshaved or whatever.

I would definitely look into it not only with your parts store that sold it to you but Undercover themselves. As a paying customer, you have the right to be 100% happy with your purchase.

Best of luck!

Old 03-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Thats the area I was thinking of too....

Todd saved me some work... no pics now

Old 03-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by ToddziLLa

I got mine last summer and that gap on my Undercover is fine. I am guessing that yours got overshaved or whatever.

I would definitely look into it not only with your parts store that sold it to you but Undercover themselves. As a paying customer, you have the right to be 100% happy with your purchase.

Best of luck!
Thats the area. It's hard to see in your pic, but yours actually looks like it has a lip between the hinge point to the outer corner. Mine is trimmed from the hinge poit to the corner as so there is no rolled over lip, form the hinge to the corner....the front part is only as thick as the plastic.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by ToddziLLa

Best of luck!
Is there anyway you could post a closeup pic of the corner you have circled? Just from the picture I can tell that yours is not trimmed as far as mine, but it would be nice to be able tell just how much. I will take a pic of mine as soon as I get home. I talked to a guy named Mike at Undercover and he wants me to send him a pic.....he said that it is entirely possible that someone may have trimmed it too much and that they would definately take care of it. Would be nice to show him a pic from the same style truck for comparison.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by MosineeFX4
Is there anyway you could post a closeup pic of the corner you have circled?
Absolutely! I will get home from work at about 6:30 tonight, and have a pic up by 7:00 (EST).

Old 03-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Hope these help.

I'm thinking that if you didn't get the lights and new style locks you also didn't get the revised cover (meaning the proper trim at the front of the cover).

Here is both my right and left sides:

The bozo's at the shop prolly took a Dremel to yours...

Old 03-23-2006, 05:37 PM
I have the new style cover and mine looks way better than that. I don't have a gallery but could email you a pic of mine if you want.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Cdn-Redneck
I have the new style cover and mine looks way better than that. I don't have a gallery but could email you a pic of mine if you want.
Please do, I would like to see it.
My email is sjwojcik(at)tznet.com. Replace (at) with @. Could you copy my email at work too? My email service for home sometimes has a problem with larger files. My work email is swojcik(at)kcc.com.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Undercover Question