2004 - 2008 F-150

Leveling kit and towing...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling kit and towing...

So, I have begun towing a 19' boat with my 2004 FX4. As the title suggests, I have a leveling kit (the Revtek aluminum spacers to be exact). With nothing hooked up to the back, the front sits only 1" lower than the back. But with the little boat hooked up, The front sits 1" higher than the back. This makes it extremely uncomfortable to drive and really throws my lighting out of alignment (I'm blinding other drivers). I need a solution. So let's discuss...

I suppose I have two options to correct the problem (add-a-leafs are not an option as they defeat the whole purpose of the leveling kit): (1) install air helper bags or (2) remove the leveling kit. I am considering the pros and cons of each.

Removing the Leveling Kit

Pros

By removing the leveling kit, my truck is back within factory specs, and I will have no angle problems, towing sag issues, alignment will be much easier to achieve, and Ford won't blame the leveling kit for anything in the front end that might be damaged or discovered defective in the future. I also won't be tweaking a truck that Ford engineers came up with through (what I hope is) earnest research and development. Furthermore, there's no other expense...

Cons

Well... The a$$ of my truck is up in the air when I am not towing something.

Installing Helper Bags

Pros

Well, I get the best of both worlds. I am level when I am not towing, and i am level when I am towing. I am free to adjust the back ends ride height regardless of what I am towing.

Cons

I still have a truck that is outside of the factory specs. There's the concern of possible front end damage down the road... Longetivity is clearly an issue.

That's all I've got so far. Did I miss anything? Are there some things I am not considering? I will be towing on a fairly regular basis from this point forward, so that should be taken into account as well. Let's here your thoughts, people...

Old 07-25-2005, 10:27 AM
minus, I have the same issues. This weekend I pulled a SeaDoo and the back of the truck was lower than the front. I have the 2" AutoSpring level kit. I'm considering rear leaf helpers, but I'm still not sure. I'd like to hear what others have done to solve this.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:37 AM
What makes it "extremely uncomfortable to drive"? Is it just the look or is it something else?

What makes you think there would be front end damage from the spacers?

Did you adjust the lights after putting on the leveling kit? I wouldn't think that a 2" drop in the rear would blind the other drivers if lights were adjusted properly to begin with...but I could be wrong. If it is the 2" drop when towing that is the problem, then you'd still have the 2" drop when towing with or without the leveling kit.

I wouldn't think that a 19' boat would put a whole lot of weight on the truck, do you have any idea what the tongue weight is? Is it within spec for the truck's towing abilities? If the tongue weight is not excessive (it seems not because of only a 2" drop) then airbags might be overkill.

I regularly haul construction goodies in the bed that result in MUCH more than a 2" drop, and I've never felt uncomfortable driving it.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by valley818
minus, I have the same issues. This weekend I pulled a SeaDoo and the back of the truck was lower than the front. I have the 2" AutoSpring level kit. I'm considering rear leaf helpers, but I'm still not sure. I'd like to hear what others have done to solve this.
Add-a-leafs will just raise the back end when not towing, defeating the purpose of the leveling kit to begin with. That's not an option for me.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by NukePooch
What makes it "extremely uncomfortable to drive"? Is it just the look or is it something else?

What makes you think there would be front end damage from the spacers?

Did you adjust the lights after putting on the leveling kit? I wouldn't think that a 2" drop in the rear would blind the other drivers if lights were adjusted properly to begin with...but I could be wrong. If it is the 2" drop when towing that is the problem, then you'd still have the 2" drop when towing with or without the leveling kit.

I wouldn't think that a 19' boat would put a whole lot of weight on the truck, do you have any idea what the tongue weight is? Is it within spec for the truck's towing abilities? If the tongue weight is not excessive (it seems not because of only a 2" drop) then airbags might be overkill.

I regularly haul construction goodies in the bed that result in MUCH more than a 2" drop, and I've never felt uncomfortable driving it.
With the front 1" higher than the rear, steering capability is slightly diminished, nevermind the fact that the angle of the front end when towing could be a concern if I were to be involved in an accident. This isn't about looks, so let's not get this confused. My concern is safety and the ultimate durability of my vehicle. If this was about looks, the helper bags would be my first choice.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:12 PM
I have the same problem... I have an autosprings 2.5 leveling kit and with my 18ft trailer loaded with my mustang the front is sky high. I will be installing a set of firestone airbags very shortly!!!

Old 07-25-2005, 12:20 PM
No offense intended, just wondered if it was the look you were worried about.

The reason the rear is higher than the front from factory is to provide for load carrying capacity...I'm not sure, but I doubt a 2" drop in ride height in the rear will even get much into the "overload" part of the springs, which is the extra half-leaf at the bottom of the spring pack. It's factory designed with the capability to haul much more.
Any weight on the rear will "lighten" the front slightly, nothing can be done about that except to use a 5th-wheel type hitch that puts the weight in front of the rear axle. Removing the front spacers or installing rear airbags won't do anything to the steering feel, it's the weight behind the rear axle that lifts the front. Towing or hauling anything will handle differently than an empty truck...and again, nothing can be done about that. A 2" drop when towing might lighten the front end, but if the towed load (plus hauled items in the truck) is within factory spec, then you should be okay as far as durability and safety, as long as you drive accordingly (i.e. stop earlier, drive slower, etc.).

I personally wouldn't worry about it, but for peace of mind....Any modifications to a vehicle can result in adverse effects, so if you're worried about extreme long-term damage, it would probably ease your mind if you were to remove the leveling kit and return it to stock. Keep in mind though, the steering feel will stay much the same when towing, but you would get rid of the reduced "nose-up" feeling...at least until you tow the boat and haul a bed-load of gear too...(grin)

Old 07-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Well, if you are only going to be towing the one trailer, and no others, I might suggest a weight distribution hitch. They work awesome, and the truck rides just about level when hooked up. I have the autospring 2" kit in my truck, and I haul a 16' enclosed trailer loaded with 4 ATV's and gear when we go racing. Without the hitch my truck squatted really bad, same situation as here. But when I got the hitch and hooked it up, truck sits completely level now when towing. The truck feels very stable towing, as the weight is distributed over all the axles of the truck and trailer. I would highly suggest looking into on of these hitches. Here is some more information if this is a viable option for you...

Weight Distribution Hitch Info.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by roboots21
Well, if you are only going to be towing the one trailer, and no others, I might suggest a weight distribution hitch. They work awesome, and the truck rides just about level when hooked up. I have the autospring 2" kit in my truck, and I haul a 16' enclosed trailer loaded with 4 ATV's and gear when we go racing. Without the hitch my truck squatted really bad, same situation as here. But when I got the hitch and hooked it up, truck sits completely level now when towing. The truck feels very stable towing, as the weight is distributed over all the axles of the truck and trailer. I would highly suggest looking into on of these hitches. Here is some more information if this is a viable option for you...

Weight Distribution Hitch Info.

For the cost of a weight distribution hitch, I would rather get the air bags... hmmm....

Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 PM
So no one thinks that leveling kits are a cause for concern as far as long term durability is concerned?

Old 07-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by minus_13
For the cost of a weight distribution hitch, I would rather get the air bags... hmmm....
Yeah, good point, but then again I paid only half for the hitch, as my brother uses it also. Either way you go your truck will end up being level when you tow. Good luck with what you decide!

Old 07-25-2005, 12:40 PM
I look at it this way; I have seen many lifted trucks that always are nose higher and pulling heavy loads. I don't know if it will cause problems later but I don't tow everyday, every weekend and it isn't a serious work truck that I carry out of payload. Only do it here and there so it should be alright.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:29 PM
You guys aren't making this any easier...

Old 07-25-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm very happy with my firestone air bags, very easy to install, no drill, I tow appox. 6000# with my 05 scab 5.4, when not towing I run the bags at 5 to 10 # and don't even know they exsist, when towing i run 35#to 40# and this levels the truck to stock hieght and adds some firmness. Going to upgrade shocks soon the stock ones are terrible on the small bumps, i think aftermarket shocks will also help towing also. Pay the extra and get onboard compressor it's nice to make adjustments anytime, the bags will raise the back of the truck 6 to 8" above stock which comes in handy when towing over a high driveway to prevent the hitch from dragging. I would take all that other stuff off it will just ruin your ride when not towing.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:14 PM
My fifth wheel camper levels the truck, 1200# pin weight but thats in the box not hanging from the bumper, If you don't like the rear up, add the air springs they my come in handy down the road.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit and towing...