2004 - 2008 F-150

my F-150 needs a cam replace at 1352 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my F-150 needs a cam replace at 1352 miles

My new f-150 is in for service due to a loud tick. I was hauling my snowmobile trailer up a hill when my service engine light started flashing, truck started virbating and lost power..... Now it has a very loud tick on the drivers side-

I just talked to the service manager and they just got off the tech line with ford and this is what he basically said-

"my truck needs a new Cam and all the followers replaced on the drivers said. According to ford this is a very complicated engine and due to break in and tight tolerances on the engine it could have a lubricating problem sometimes on break with the cams-"

WTF.... anybody ever hear this problem before????? My truck only has 1352 miles on it! Its an 04 Lariat.....

should I demand a free extended warrenty?? Im worried if I have problems at 1300 miles... what type of problems will I have at 100,000 miles???? And I wanted to pipe, chip, and lift this truck....

Last edited by purpony; 02-02-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Suspended
If you can get the extended warranty than go for it and try to get it.

but..from your signature it looks like you already did all of that..

Old 02-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A problem like that is obviously a manufacturing defect, NOT a wear problem. So what does this have to do with anything at 100K miles or more? Not a frikkin' thing. If you wish to panic and complain, sell the damn truck and buy a Chebbie.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
A problem like that is obviously a manufacturing defect, NOT a wear problem. So what does this have to do with anything at 100K miles or more? Not a frikkin' thing. If you wish to panic and complain, sell the damn truck and buy a Chebbie.
I think that Bullwinkle needs to beat you down a little. Why do you have to get so upset at people asking legitimate questions? This poor guy has a serious problem, and all you can do is berate him? I think you have some issues dude.

Purpony,

Although rudely put, RockyJscreamal is probably right. It sounds like a manufacturing defect. What you might do is ask your dealer about a WHOLE new engine. In fact, I would insist on it and not back down. The possibility of shavings from your incident in the block now can't be ignored, and may cause other problems down the road. The scenario isn't probable, but it is possible. A new motor altogether would not cost the dealer all that much more than repairing your current one. I would really pursue it.

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Re: my F-150 needs a cam replace at 1352 miles

Originally posted by purpony
And I wanted to pipe, chip, and lift this truck....
Full of BS. Your didnt break your truck in right, and you were probably haulling *** up the hill with a trailer. And your sig says...

-2004 Aspen Green Lariat Screw- tinted windows, CW billet grille, Retrax bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Diablo sport programmer, 2.5 autosprings spacers, Eagle 178 wheels, BFG A/T 285x65x18
Now it says your have a a programmer and exhaust? What else could you mean by "pipe" & "chip" ? Now untill i hear what the excuse is, i am waiving the bs flag.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:14 PM
There were a batch of heads that were manufactured with the rockers on backwards or something to that affect that I remember reading about here some time ago.

You don't say what your build date is, but this sounds similar to the problem.

Search around and you will find the threads.

I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:39 PM
My two cents...

Just to let you know, here's what I would expect when you take your truck in:
1) They'll go ahead and replace the cam.
2) They'll end up putting some new heads on too. At least on mine they did.
3) They'll check something in the engine called a lifter (?). Don't know if that's for oil or lubricant or what...(btw- can someone tell me what the heck that is???)
4) If you haven't gotten a computer reflash, they'll look into that.

My truck had about 15k on it before it started doing some funky stuff. Driving down the interstate one day at a modest 75 and engine kinda kicked a bit. Engine light came on, then turned off. Truck went back to normal, but it felt like it had lost just a bit of power and kick. I was also noticing the vibration and nibble in the steering was getting worse (I coulda lived with it the way it was, but it got bad after that engine kick), so I took it in. This is what they told me, this is what they did, and now my Screw runs like a beauty again.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:19 AM
A "lifter" is a valve lifter.

It looks like a shiny metal cylinder that is about the size of a 2/3 roll of quarters.

Its sits on top of each camshaft lobe and on top of it is a pushrod, which ultimately rests under the rocker arm, which rocks back and forth as the pushrod lifts up and down as the cam lobe gets bigger and smaller (think of a circle with one end squashed - thats a cam lobe).

As the rocker rocks back and forth it opens and closes a valve (intake or exhaust - take your pick), your engine breathes, combustion occurs an viola, you can video a burnout with your new F150 and post here for all to enjoy.

Tomorrows topic will be heated mirrors.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by blitzkrieg
A "lifter" is a valve lifter.

It looks like a shiny metal cylinder that is about the size of a 2/3 roll of quarters.

Its sits on top of each camshaft lobe and on top of it is a pushrod, which ultimately rests under the rocker arm, which rocks back and forth as the pushrod lifts up and down as the cam lobe gets bigger and smaller (think of a circle with one end squashed - thats a cam lobe).

As the rocker rocks back and forth it opens and closes a valve (intake or exhaust - take your pick), your engine breathes, combustion occurs an viola, you can video a burnout with your new F150 and post here for all to enjoy.

Tomorrows topic will be heated mirrors.

Hmmm...I didn't think OHC engines had pushrods...

Old 02-03-2005, 01:29 AM
Hey, somebody actually pays attention if its not about "the vibe"?

Ram is correct, the push rods apply to the older OHV style motors not the SOHC modular motor.

I don't have to go to the Titan website and stand in the corner for an hour, do I?

Old 02-03-2005, 09:19 AM
[i]Originally posted by blitzkrieg

I don't have to go to the Titan website and stand in the corner for an hour, do I? [/B]
-----------------------------------------------------------

yes... yes you do ..... and NOT a minute less ....
and NO sneaking peaks over your shoulder either ...

Old 02-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Re: Re: my F-150 needs a cam replace at 1352 miles

Originally posted by asinatra
Full of BS. Your didnt break your truck in right, and you were probably haulling *** up the hill with a trailer. And your sig says...

Now it says your have a a programmer and exhaust? What else could you mean by "pipe" & "chip" ? Now untill i hear what the excuse is, i am waiving the bs flag.
What are you calling BS on? That my truck is brand new and now broken? Yes.. I have all that stuff listed in my signature and its things I have planned to do... not done yet.... So far my mods are, Floor mats, tinted windows, chrome front blinker bulbs, and a Carriage Works Grille and bumper insert!!! My Retrax cover is still sitting in the box in the garage along with my wheels. Everything else were future plans....

I have been breaking my truck in right since i picked it up on Jan 14. and Waiting 700+ miles before hooking my sled trailer up to it.... which is a max of 2100 lbs with 2 sleds in it. I was pulling a hill in VT at 60-65mph with over drive locked out and the service engine light just started flashing and the truck lost power and starting vibrating very bad........ I let off the gas and drove about 20 mph to get to the top of the hill.... I was not beating on it what so ever!
However its a truck and its designed to tow 7-8000 lbs.... I was not even working it.

I just got back from the dealer and my truck has the valve cover pulled. They are replacing the cam and all the followers(rockers).... according to the tech at ford they have seen a few problems with the cams not being prelubed from the factory correctly..... of course with my luck it looks like my truck was one of them. Off the top of my head i dont know the exactly build date. Im just pissed this happened in the first place. I bought a new truck so I didnt have to worry about my old truck breaking down on me up north... now my new $40K lariat is worse then my 200K mileage old truck is..... and will be in the back of my mind always.... My modded d windowinted windows, chrome front blinker bulbs, and a Carriage Works Grille and bumper insert!!! My Retrax cover is still sitting in the box in the garage along with my wheels. Everything else were future plans....

I have been breaking my truck in right since i picked it up on Jan 14. and Waiting 700+ miles before hooking my sled trailer up to it.... which is a max of 2100 lbs with 2 sleds in it. I was pulling a hill in VT at 60-65mph with over drive locked out and the service engine light just started flashing and the truck lost power and starting vibrating very bad........ I let off the gas and drove about 20 mph to get to the top of the hill.... I was not beating on it what so ever!
However its a truck and its designed to tow 7-8000 lbs.... I was not even working it.

I just got back from the dealer and my truck has the valve cover pulled. They are replacing the cam and all the followers(rockers).... according to the tech at ford they have seen a few problems with the cams not being prelubed from the factory correctly..... of course with my luck it looks like my truck was one of them. Off the top of my head i dont know the exactly build date. Im just pissed this happened in the first place. I bought a new truck so I didnt have to worry about my old truck breaking down on me up north... now my new $40K lariat is worse then my 200K mileage old truck is..... and will be in the back of my mind always.... My modded d windowinted windows, chrome front blinker bulbs, and a Carriage Works Grille and bumper insert!!! My Retrax cover is still sitting in the box in the garage along with my wheels. Everything else were future plans....

Last edited by purpony; 02-03-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 PM
why does it keep repeating what i wrote... i tried editing it 3 or 4 times and it keeps doing that?

Old 02-03-2005, 12:57 PM
The 5.4L doesn't have lifters or push rods. It's an overhead cam design and the cam lobes themselves push the valves open. Me thinks a dealer was feeding someone a load of BS with a serving of HS on the side.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:49 PM
purpony,

The same thing happened to my Buick LeSabre. Engine miss and CE light. Cam had to be relpaced and some other misc. items in the 3.8 liter v6. Never had anymore trouble with it after everything was fixed under warranty.

You should be ok after the engine is repaired,

Scott

Quick Reply: my F-150 needs a cam replace at 1352 miles