2004 - 2008 F-150

Alternative SIRIUS Sat placement

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternative SIRIUS Sat placement

Well guys, finally got some pics in the gallery of the Sirius install. I really wanted to go for "XM commander in the ashtray" thing but I ended having to go with Sirius because of the deals they had going at the time. It is a bit cumbersome to open the console everytime but it is better than the alternative (having the unit protruding from the dash somewhere). The antenna is located under the wiper cowl on the passenger side. Reception has been great so far. The only deads spot has been in an underground parking garage. Just wanted to post this for anyone curious about options for placement. JP

Old 12-08-2004, 01:04 AM
Great idea for the antenna I will have to try that with my XM antenna. Is the antenna mounted were it is in the pic or is it further up under the cowl?

Old 12-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Its mounted right where you see it. There is a nice flat spot there for the magnet to stick to.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:04 AM
No problems with the reception. I assume?

Old 12-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Reception has been great so far. The only deads spot has been in an underground parking garage.

Old 12-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by jperea
Its mounted right where you see it. There is a nice flat spot there for the magnet to stick to.
Its hard to tell from the pic but does the antenna have a line of sight directly to sky or is it under the plastic? I tried mounting the antenna on my Jeep under the hardtop but it wouldnt work...I have heard that it can "see" through plastic or cloth. ALSO I asume since you loose signal in the garge you are getting satalite signal not terrestrial repeater signal...right? We have no repeaters here in south GA...yet.

Old 12-08-2004, 12:50 PM
The antenna is actually under the plastic cowl so it is not visible. Not sure about the repeater thing. I don't know enough about it. I heard of a few guys doing this so I tried it. So far so good. JP

Old 12-08-2004, 06:32 PM
I have my Sirius antenna sitting on teh back deck of my Contour and also lose reception when traveling through some bridges and of course in parking garages. I also lose it when pulling in my house garage. No big deal though, and IMHO there was no way I was mounting it on the roof or decklid.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Finally getting around to installing my Sirius radio, tried the cowl mounting today.

Unfortunately for me it was an iffy proposition... I was getting dropouts on a regular basis. I temporarily put the antenna on the pass rear roof and it is rock solid. I am going to try on the dash to see how well it works there but will probably end up doing the brake light installation snaking it around and going under the gasket as mentioned by someone else.

For the internal mount I'm waiting on the Pro-Fit FO-75-04-L which mounts to the right of the radio.

Down the road may go to a head unit with integral sat radio...

Old 01-04-2005, 07:29 PM
i just put in the xm commander last night - and put the antenna in the same place- only listened to it this morning - but no drop outs and it works perfect - and is completely hidden -

kirk

Quick Reply: Alternative SIRIUS Sat placement