2004 - 2008 F-150

and now back to the vibration...........

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering/nibble solution

Ok guys, anyone ever hear of a preload adjustment on the rack and pinion steering system. It is a large washer like nut that adjusts the preload on the rack. Located on the front side of the rack directly inline or below the steering shaft. Tighten it down all the way and then back it off about a quarter turn, and that I am told by another mechanic on another forum will cure the steering wheel shimmy! I'm taking mine into the dealer tomorrow to have it adjusted. Anyone know what I'm talking about or know if this works!!???

Old 03-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Well on the 18th I got a call that the rear was installed, but the problem was still there. They were also ordering a tire because one of them had a "wobble" in it. So I called yesterday and was told they put the tire on and the problem is still there. I told them to stop working on it and I'd be there to pick it up.

When I went in, the service manager said he understood and thought I needed to get another truck. He said he believes it's best if I get the FSE to come back again. HIs reasoning is that apparently the FSE has the authority to tell Ford to do a buy back and this way I don't have to go through DSB or the lemon law. I told him the only way I'd agree to this is if the FSE came out SOON and I was NOT leaving my truck there for a week again. He agreed and started making calls when I left. The kicker: My driveline vibe under decel at 70MPH is gone, now I have a severe vibe around 40MPH under accel. Cool huh? No change in the steering wheel nibble. Service manager said they moved the vibe after replacing the rear end, but my decel vibe was fixed. I responded, "No it's not, you just changed where it occurred." He agreed and apologized.

I figure what the hell, I've been waiting since last July, what's another few weeks if this is easier. Any one ever heard of this?

Old 03-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel for ya rdblan, I went through all of this on both my 04's. The FSE can ok a buyback and skip this dsb crap..thats what I did. My new 05 is perfect so there is hope. When you drive one that has no problems they are the most awesome truck you ever drove. I still say that the problem is in the heavy *** steel driveshafts (05's are aluminum) and the worn out axle plant tooling (admitted to by Ford). It does seem that the new models are getting in right so try that route if possible. Hang in there guys!

Old 03-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by rdblan2
PALongbow,

I have both problems.

The driveline vibe and the steering nibble. Driveline vibe is present above 70mph when I let off the gas. Touch the gas and it goes away. Does not happen below 70.

Steering nibble is present from about 45mph and above.
I had the exact same problem and after a FSE said it was normal I went to the DSB. They ordered Ford to buy back my truck. Problem Solved.

Old 03-24-2005, 11:34 PM
My 98 f150 does the same thing. Vibration comes in centered at 65mph. You mainly feel it in the floor and seats and not so much through the steering wheel. You can also see the mirrors vibrate when you hit the magic speed (my friends wife even pointed that out). 60mph and under no problem. 69mph and above no problem. Someone in this thread mentioned it's worse when warmer out and the truck has been drivin awile. Same here... When it's cool outside and the truck is cool/hasn't been drivin for a length of time the vibration is barely noticable. The warmer it gets, the worse it gets. In the summer on hot days it's much much worse, especially with the AC running. If I where to bet my life, I'd say it's in the tranny.

I did a google search awile ago about this and people back in 98 complained about the same problems you guys are having with the 04's.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Two months ago I bought a $42,000 F-250. It vibrates too. I have had it back 4 times to have shims placed above the carrier bearing, but it didn't help. Not sure if F-150's have carrier bearings.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:31 PM
I've heard of muffler bearings before, but what's a carrier bearing? HAH!! HAH!! j/k

Old 03-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SilvrDrgn
I've heard of muffler bearings before, but what's a carrier bearing? HAH!! HAH!! j/k
Its what the muffler bearings are "carried" in...DUH!

Old 03-31-2005, 10:59 AM
Tomorrow is the second time I'll be in to see the FSE. We're going to have a chat about how this is silly and they should just replace my truck.

April Fool's Day even. Fitting.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:44 PM
hey rdblan2,
you're lucky your FSE will actually meet with you!
Mine in Denver won't meet with me or even talk to me on the phone. Real nice customer service huh?
The FSE told my dealer that if they try to fix my vibration that occurs at 75MPH it will just cause a vibration at another speed. Therefore they can't fix my truck!
Today I wrote a letter to the DSB asking them to force Ford to buy back my truck.
We shall see......

Old 04-06-2005, 12:53 AM
The FSE I've been dealing with is a pretty nice guy, or seems to be at least.

Dropped off the truck on Friday 1Apr. Service manager called that evening and said they replaced all my BFG tires with brand new Michellins. I think this is the 3rd set of tires so far since I've been dealing with this since end of July 04. They also played with the driveshaft and ordered another driveshaft and a steering rack. He said they think my remaining driveline vibe is driveshaft related and the steering rack will be for the nibble. Mind you, this will be the 2nd drive shaft I've had installed, not to mention the one that came in the truck, so this is the 3rd drive shaft. I'm also on my 3rd rear end. Service manager says they will emergency order the parts and let me know something by Tuesday.

Today is Tuesday so I get called by the service manager. Very good guy, and he always returns my calls and calls me when he says he will. Anyway, the steering rack has been installed and apparently my steering wheel nibble is fixed. I let him know this was about the 9th time I've heard this and he assures me it's completely gone this time. We'll see.

The driveshaft is apparently "back ordered" and he and the FSE are frantically searching for a drive shaft ASAP. We'll know soon enough.

I'm assuming they spent all day road forcing and mounting my tires so that probably has something to do with the steering nibble being gone. If it's truly gone, I will go directly to another dealer and have my tires rotated and I assume the nibble will return. Don't think I'll have to worry about that, I'm very sceptical it's actually gone. Guess I'll wait some more for this drive shaft.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Well today is Thursday 7Apr. I just called the dealer. They couldn't get the driveshaft in so they took one out of an 05 they had and put on my truck. No change in driveline vibration. I said it's time for something else and we need to move on. I am no longer interested in repair options. After 40 something days and 16 trips in, I'm all done.

Service manager said he understood and that the FSE wanted to try one more thing. I told him, "Negative." I'm one more thinged out. I've heard that almost 30 times since July and enough is enough. He called the FSEs and left a message.

Service manager called me back and said the FSE said they understood where I was. The FSE is going to stop by today and drive my truck then pass along to his boss that the vibe still exists with no change and we'll see what happens. If the FSE says it's normal, I'm gonna lose my mind. I'm assuming that's not going to happen though.

I think we all agree that I can easily win an arbitration or lemon law case now. 40 something days in the shop and 16 or 17 trips to the dealer, dealing with this since the day I bought it 28July04, FSE has failed to repair it twice. Hopefully, they'll do the right thing and just buy it back instead of making me file all the paperwork and go through all this crap. We'll see. Wish me luck fellas.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Do the 2005 models have this vibration problem or is it just the 2004 year model? I'm looking to trade in my 2003 for a 2005.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:59 AM
First of all, I believe the 04s have this lovely problem.

Second of all:

I have waited since July 28, 2004 (the day I bought my truck) to post this.

I AM OFFICIALLY GIVING MY NOTICE FOR MY UPCOMING RESIGNATION FROM THE VIBE TRIBE!!!

The FSE has agreed to buy back my truck. WOOO HOOO. No DSB, no Lemon Law, no 20 cents per mile, just good old MSRP to MSRP! Hopefully, I'll have better luck with the 05.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:59 AM
rdblan2 - Congradulations on getting this issue resolved.

Was this resolved with Apple Ford?

Quick Reply: and now back to the vibration...........