2004 - 2008 F-150

and now back to the vibration...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '04 XLT Screw has vibrated at 1500 RPM/58 MPH since new. After months of reading this forum, the TSBs, and hoping that Ford had enough experience to fix the problem, I finally relented and took the truck to my local dealer. I explained that when it vibrated, I noted that engaging neutral/disengaging overdrive solved the vibration per TSB 04-3-3. Several hours later, the Service Manager called and told me that there was nothing they could do BECAUSE I HAD REPLACED THE OEM TIRES, i.e. step 1 & 2 of the TSB required tire balancing and subsequent tire replacement if balancing failed to correct the vibe. Since they wouldn't replace my replacement tires, there was nothing further they could do to proceed through the remaining TSB steps.

I don't know if the dealer was 'coached' by Ford on this reply or whether the dealer was stonewalling me on a pragmatic detail. When I objected that the vibration existed with both the OEM and replacement tires and that both sets of tires had been repeatedly balanced with no consequence re: the vibe, he replied there was nothing further he could do to assist me.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 PM
That is just ridiculous! The more trouble I have with my Ford, the 2nd one in fact) and the more I read here I am now convinced that FOMOCO is the absolute worst company I have ever come across. They have zero regard for the customer. ZERO!!! It's just incredible that they sell as many vehicles as they do. I had a F250 buyback years ago, and shame on me for trusting them again with my 04 screw. I dream of the day I can get rid of it somehow, and I will return to the GM trucks that have served me very well for the last ten years. Shame on you Ford! They should study Ford in business schools to learn how to run a profitable business without any customer service.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I guess it comes down to the dealership.

I talked to the service manager today. He told me that Ford is very aware of the issue and the engineers are working on a fix. They even took 3 trucks to Dearborne last week to test fixes. The engineer that needs to test my truck is also up there working with them. He also told me that one way or another the problem would be fixed, he doesn't want unhappy customers either.

Hopefully they will be back next week. He told me there are no guarantees right now but ultimately it would get fixed or replaced once they determine if it is a "vibrator".

I guess thats all I can ask at this point. Now that the "nibble" is mostly gone and its just the constant vibration and anything above 45mph. I have only had the "nibble" return twice since I got it back and it only lasted a mile or 2. The nibble in my opinion was the worst part. The vibration would be worse if I drove it more than 50 miles one way but I only drive 30. I had to drive 60 miles yesterday and it felt like my feet feel asleep.

I wish the vibration would transfer up the seat to my back, at least I could get a back massage while driving.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:44 PM

I talked to the service manager today. He told me that Ford is very aware of the issue and the engineers are working on a fix. They even took 3 trucks to Dearborne last week to test fixes. The engineer that needs to test my truck is also up there working with them. He also told me that one way or another the problem would be fixed, he doesn't want unhappy customers either.

Hopefully they will be back next week. He told me there are no guarantees right now but ultimately it would get fixed or replaced once they determine if it is a "vibrator".

I guess thats all I can ask at this point. Now that the "nibble" is mostly gone and its just the constant vibration and anything above 45mph. I have only had the "nibble" return twice since I got it back and it only lasted a mile or 2. The nibble in my opinion was the worst part. The vibration would be worse if I drove it more than 50 miles one way but I only drive 30. I had to drive 60 miles yesterday and it felt like my feet feel asleep.

I wish the vibration would transfer up the seat to my back, at least I could get a back massage while driving.

Last edited by Crash_edwards; 01-19-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:45 PM

Old 01-20-2005, 01:20 AM
tjaas

Sorry tjaas. I didn't see you up there. Assuming that question was directed at me.

I've been to 3 different dealers. Started with Apple Ford in Columbia, over to Miller Bros in Ellicot City and now at Academy Ford in Laurel.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Sorry about the triple post.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi. Just registered today as a new member. I am new to this discussion but have been following along as I could since I bought my '04 Supercrew FX4 in November. I noticed streering wheel nibble and off/on vibration with my truck within the first two days I had it in my possession. The truck had 350 miles on it when I got it. I took it back the following Monday for rustproofing, paint sealant, etc and told the dealer about the apparent steering wheel nibble. When I got it back two days later, they advised that the tires had been balanced to take care of my problem.

I had no idea that this was such an issue with so many others until I started reading this forum. I have followed your comments hoping that there would be some breakthrough/resolution that I could bring to my dealer's attention. The nibble/vibration was still there after they balanced the tires. It would come and go but I couldn't really pin down a pattern. However, it was more tolerable and not as bad as my first two days of ownership.

I drove this truck from Iowa to Florida and back over the holidays and tolerated any shaking or steering wheel nibbles. Truck now has 5600 miles on the odometer.

Long story short.... I had to drive the truck in 4Hi back and forth to work (17 miles one way) on 2 consecutive days earlier this month when we had a lot of snow and ice in Iowa. Since that time I have noticed that everything is smooth.. no nibble, no occasional vibration at 58 mph. Perhaps my experience hasn't been as severe as some of but it was very noticeable to me after I took delivery. Now its not.

At this point in time I am very pleased with the way my FX4 rides and the only thing I can point to that may have made a real difference is driving it in 4WD for 70 miles or so at speeds up to 55 mph. That was over two weeks ago. Does this make sense to anyone?

Old 01-22-2005, 08:51 PM
HWKI150...interesting story...makes sense to me. I would suggest that your 'break-in' of the transfer case changed the rotational dynamics of whatever parts in the drivetrain that were contributing to your vibration. According to some who have posted here, simply removing and rotating the driveshaft a quarter turn has solved their problem. As an old Navy aviator who has seen 'gremlins' in aircraft come and go, I can believe anything about rotating/reciprocating vibes.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Curmugeon
I explained that when it vibrated, I noted that engaging neutral/disengaging overdrive solved the vibration per TSB 04-3-3.
I had the exact same problem. Sounds like you need a transmission replacement. That's what fixed mine. See here -> LINK

Old 01-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Well mine is going in Thursday to have the dealer look at it.

Though I think they might give me some **** because of the Daystar 2" leveling kit. Can't really take it out or else my tires are going to rub like crazy on the fender wheels.
The dealer I bought my truck from will send your Truck to the 4x4 off-road shop though if you want and will install a lift and roll the lift price into your payment. So maaayyybbeee they won't mind to much.

My vibration is slighty at 45 MPH and at 65-75 it's very bad.
Will see how things go I guess.

Also while it's in. They will be updating my computer software and fixing the rear door child safety locks that don't disengage so someone that is sitting in the back needs to make sure they unlock the door before trying to get out.

Specs
04 Fx4 Crewcab
5.4L
3.73 LS Axle
Daystar Leveling kit
286/70/17 Goodyear MTR's

Old 01-25-2005, 08:31 AM
I have a feb 2nd date for DSB. Can't wait for this nightmare to be over.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm now waiting for my check, I guess they need to get it out to the dealer so I can take them the truck and they can hand me my money.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Called the dealer today. They told me the FSE called back and he'll be around some time next week to look at mine. Good thing they called to let me know about that. Anyways, also called Ford and requested my DSB paperwork. They said that should be here in a few days. Let's hope the FSE has some magical way to fix it.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Let's hope the FSE has some magical way to fix it.
Yes he will. He will say it's normal and his job is done. Then it's off to the DSB.

Quick Reply: and now back to the vibration...........