2004 - 2008 F-150

xm or sirius

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xm or sirius

anyone with these systems---if you have the audiophile and the factory DVD---do these just plug into an aux outlet or what ---if I have DVD can I still use with the factory system---looked like xm has to have a tape deck---is this right?? it looked as if sirius has a wire to plug into an aux outlet---I dont want to replace the radio, just buy a plug and play for home and in truck---please advise what to do

Old 12-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Probably need to go to an after-market installer for it anyway. To me the difference is paying a little more for commercial-free or commercials. I would go with Sirius, but then I am so cheap that paying for either monthly subscription is hard to do, although I would really love to have it. Maybe one of these days. Seems like a great new up and coming technology, but if I have to pay for it anyway - I want the commercial-free Sirius system. I think the difference is only $3 per month.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:44 PM
I have XM and it does not have to be run through the tape deck. I have an FM Modualtor and it runs into the factory unit through the antenna. You hear it through an FM station. Pretty happy with it.
As far as XM vs. Sirius..... I would say take a look at the channel line ups and choose which works best for you. I choose the XM mainly because they have the exclusive rights to broadcast Nascar races and sirius cant get the races.
Hope this helps

Old 12-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Also If you choose to get XM, Delphi has a great deal on the Roady. If you buy before 01-01-04. the will give you a free home kit. That is a great deal. I wish I would have waited a month. The home kit is about $60.00 to buy. You can get the roady at about any electronic stores( Best Buy, Circuit City, Crutchfields). It is about $119.00 then you will need to buy the FM Modulator for $50.00

Old 12-27-2003, 10:42 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 12-28-2003, 08:54 AM
I'm not too familiar with Sirius, but I will put in a good word for XM. I understand that Sirius is commercial free, but the few that you hear on XM aren't all that intrusive.

This is a shot of the XM Commander in my '04. The complete kit was $159 at Best Buys and I installed it in about 2 1/2 hours. It is FM modulated and taps into the existing antenna.

My only complaints are few....

The remote control must be pointed directly at the display or nearly straight up to get a deflection off the windshield.

Even with the Commander's output set at the max, I still can't get the volume out of the Audiophile system that I do with FM or CD. I sometimes have the volume cranked all the way up.

The coolest thing about it is that you can be listening to one station while previewing others. Let me explain...

Let's say your on channel 40 listening to Steely Dan. You're curious what's on other stations, but don't want to change the station just yet. You use the wheel to scroll through other stations, previewing what is currently playing, without actually going to those stations. If you see a song or topic you like, you just press that button in the middle of the wheel and you are there. Kinda kinda like your own personal juke box!

You will hear stuff on XM that you havn't heard in forever. I have to admit to listening to songs - when I'm alone - that I would never listen to with my buddies in the truck. It is an endless novelty!

Old 12-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Clem is right!!!!

Old 12-28-2003, 11:05 AM
That looks like a great install. Can you close the ashtray door? Do you have to use the remote?

Old 12-28-2003, 12:09 PM
Clem, what is that button next to your cigerette lighter?

Old 12-28-2003, 01:16 PM
ctupton: Thats the reverse sensor turner offer/ onner.

Im about to make a guttsy move, what do you guys think about...

I only have the cigarette lighter, unlike clem. I will probably never use it, havent yet. I like the ash tray for small things that roll around so what I was thinking was cut out the cigarette lighter area and put the XM display screen there. I didnt want to start chopping my truck but I think that part would be pretty easy to replace, and it would look pretty good once it was done.

Last edited by fordabbits; 12-28-2003 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:00 PM
it looked as if sirius had sports, such as all the nfl games, nba games, baseball games, etc---is this an additional fee, and does xm have these available as well??

Old 12-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by jdpete
it looked as if sirius had sports, such as all the nfl games, nba games, baseball games, etc---is this an additional fee, and does xm have these available as well??
XM has a variety of sports channels including talk and live broadcasts of 'SOME' games. I recently heard that Sirius signed a deal with the NFL to broadcast nearly ALL of the games each season. I'm unsure about the costs (if any) associated with this service.

Being a current XM subscriber, I can't recall reading or recieving any additional game casts on my XM however; I'm not generally the type that would track it. I love NFL football but, I just can't listen to a game... I'm a visual type of guy.

RP

Old 12-28-2003, 04:21 PM
so u wanna see the azz whoopin not hear it.........

Old 12-28-2003, 07:57 PM
Loans4u, thanks for the compliment.

Yes, the door does still close....

and

No, you don't have to use the remote. I don't use it that often - I prefer to surf with the buttons on the display unit. It an easy reach from the console shifter which I find myself resting my hand on frequently.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:18 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by priddyboy
so u wanna see the azz whoopin not hear it.........
Umm... yeah. Generally.

Quick Reply: xm or sirius