2004 - 2008 F-150

Hemi vs. 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hemi vs. 5.4

So I guess the Dodge 5.7 Hemi pretty much kicks Ford's 5.4 a$$... even the '04. 345 horses vs. 300, 375 ft #'s vs 365.
Are the number's not telling the whole story or is Ford satisfied with being second to Dodge?

Last edited by ruffneck; 02-23-2003 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:01 PM
How come no one mentions the Lightning?

380hp beats the HEMI-roid.

Old 02-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Me Thinks I smell a Troll

Old 02-23-2003, 10:12 PM
Not at all. Just disappointed.

Old 02-24-2003, 01:59 AM
Ford is better, I still think the F-150 can outperform the Ram in every catergory.

Old 02-24-2003, 08:10 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are both good engines, but I don't think one has a clear advantage over the other. For 2003 the Dodge has a good advangate in power and mated to a 5-speed auto. Remember the Dodge weighs about 500 pounds more than a similarly equipped F-150, though. 2004 F-150's will weigh more, but still one gear short. Look for the 2005 5.4L mated to a 6-speed auto ,and I bet they perform very close to each other. There is a lot more to choosing a pickup than its engine (as long as it is reliable).

Old 02-24-2003, 10:01 AM
You know, it's ineterseting you brought this up. I went and test drove a 03 Ram with the hemi last week. I wanted to see how this 345hp felt. Look at my sig, I have a slightly modded V6, so I figured this thing was gonna haul a$$. Well, to make a long story short, it didn't. I couldn't tell if it was the fact that I am used to the "superchip" shifts or what. I was hoping you guys could fill me in...shouldn't 345hp seem like a bigger difference?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 02-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Tranny specs will be important to make a more apples to apples comparison. Also, I would like to see bhp and torque on a graph for both. Same dyno, same day, etc... For a work/tow/etc truck you need to have some low end grunt.

Old 02-24-2003, 12:52 PM
I second APT, horsepower is not the complete picture.

Now don't get me wrong, it would be great to have the more powerful engine! Hats off to Dodge. But this is not a pony car comparison-it's a truck.

And as someone mentioned, if you want horsepower (=performance) get a lightning.

Old 02-24-2003, 03:00 PM
I did'nt think the Hemi was even available in a 1/2 ton yet,correct me if I'm wrong.
Also the Hemi from what I've heard is an absolute pig on gas.
I hope with the increase in weight and power that the 5.4 can get at least about the same MPG!!!

Old 02-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Yes, the hemi is now available in the 1500 series. I read a article in local newspaper about a month ago, when local dealer recieved first one. If you visit dodge website, you can build a 1500 series with a hemi. This requires auto tranny and anti lock brakes, also be added, but the price for the engine is $795.00 . I only spec'd one 1500 slt 4x2 QC. My opinion, but price seems quite reasonable, but it is still a Dodge!

Old 02-24-2003, 07:22 PM
You know, what absolutely fascinates me is how quickly everyone bites on the HEMI hype. Ford, Chevy and Toyota have each changed their trucks over the past 4 or 5 years, but I've never seen such a lopsided advertising blast from any of them for their 'newly' redesigned trucks. My God, you'd think the HEMI was the only engine on the planet for a truck anymore. The two other things Dodge is advertising as 'new' on their trucks is rack-n-pinion steering and rear disc brakes. Ford's had these items on their trucks for a couple years now, but I guess Dodge's are better designed pieces (yeh right!). I have two relatives that both have Dodge trucks, and they generally average two Dodges to each of my Fords. Simply put, the reliability just isn't there. To me, the true comparison of like trucks is in their price versus value comparison. Go price a Dodge 1500 SLT HEMI and a new 2004 Ford F150 with similar options. I think you'll find that that HEMI is costing you more than the $800 engine premium.

My final comment. If marketing is your thing, buy a Dodge with the HEMI. If you're an inteligent truck owner who requires more from what you buy and drive, look a lot deeper than the HEMI motor alone. My guess is you won't find enough reasons to buy the Dodge if you take that long look.

My 2001 SuperCrew

Mods so far ......
---> Custom Airbox replacement
---> Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system
---> SuperChips Micro Tuner
---> Hellwig Rear Swaybar
---> Lightning Replica Wheels
---> 285/60R18 Kuhmo Ecsta STX Tires
---> NR White Gauge Face
---> Sylvania Silver Star Headlight Bulbs
---> OEM Lightning Taillights
---> Sportmasters Soft Tonneau
---> Westin Side Steps
---> Duraliner Bed Liner

Next Mods ........
---> Speed Grills
---> Custom Badges
---> OEM Lightning Headlights & Front Corners

Old 02-24-2003, 09:24 PM
A lot of the comments in this thread are good, and it's funny cause I was just speaking to two Ford engineers that were at the side of the road just by the test track. They had two Lightnings loaded with onboard computers and sensors. I joked about the hemi and they both said the same thing....

It's not all about h.p...
It's all about torque, drive train, body weight distribution, transmission ratios, and suspension. I know these guys are just a little "Ford happy", but they said even if you drive up the Ram to 600hp it will just sit there! The one guy used to work for GM and he said Ford does not mess with there trucks. They also told me to test drive the hemi and find out for myself that it's the same old story, they increase the h.p. without redesigning the truck!
What ya think....makes sense!!

Old 02-25-2003, 08:58 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bigdeal,

Do you know why people are talking about the Hemi? 1) Advertising. Ford doesn't do it, neither does Chevy, at least for their truck engines. 2) It is a good engine with a lot of power and torque through the powerband mated to a good 5 speed auto.

Reliability of the old trans mated to either the 318 or 360 (5.2L or 5.9L) was terrible. But the 5-speed electronicly controlled auto is better than our lazy 4-speeds.

Pricing of the Hemi vs. a similar F-150 with the current 5.4L is very similar. The Hemi forces the $1100 automatic trans, so does the 5.4L. I bet the prices are within $500 with as close as the same options as you can get.

Before you get all bent out of shape about Dodge's marketing, maybe you should test one for yourself? Find out what the hype is really about. Maybe it is nothing? You haven't really proven that it is the lesser truck, just that it came to the market late with some equipment.

Old 02-25-2003, 09:36 PM
I test drove a 1500 HEMI last week. It was also my first drive of the updated Ram/Quadcab. Does it have a lot of *****, yes! Does the tranny shift better than the current Ford, yes. Does it still seem like a heavy bastard of a truck that needs this power to really get moving, yes. Will it beat up our Fords (& Chevys) at a stop light, yes. The way a 5.4L pulls to @ 70-80 KM/H, it will pull to 120 Km/H.

Now the bigger question: Would I consdier buying one even with this great powertrain, NO. Why you may ask: Interior design/quality is still lacking big time. I'll give them credit, I really liked the exteror up close. This one was a solid silver with the 17" wheels. It looked v good. IMHO, far better than the previous gen Ram. But the interior is still not something I want to sit in. And when the '04 Ford is out, the gap will be huge in interior design/quality! Also, the quad cab design reminds me of an old saying: "Try to be please everyone, and you end up pleasing no one!" Bigger than any super/ext cab, yes!, Close to the Supercrew/Avalanche in room/comfort, NO WAY. Plus with the traditional doors on a smaller cab, it's not nearly as open. (I think Nissan has the best idea hear as far as ext cabs go with the 180 degree opening ext cab door)
I like the way Ford does it, Supercab and then Crew cab, take your pick.

BTW as far as the new 5.4L goes, the only media that have driven the engine seems to be Motor Trends "Truck Trend". Reading the new issue, I read Ford let them drive the 3V 5.4L in a F-250 chassis and they said it felt stronger and smoother than any V8 in that class (something like that). Now keep in mind this is after they have test driven the 2500 HEMI!!!! So lets not throw in the white towel just yet!

Quick Reply: Hemi vs. 5.4