2004 - 2008 F-150

Hemi vs. 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the posts everyone. I was hoping everyone would reassure me
I'm really excited about the new model and am ready to have a new truck again (had to sell my '01 due to monetary issues... as in I owed more than I had )
Can't wait untill the reviews and comparos start rolling in.

As far as aftermarket parts go... do manufactures have to wait just like the rest of us before they can start doing R&D? When can we expect chips, exhaust, etc.?

Joe 'Dirt' aka ruffneck
'life's a garden, dig it!'

Old 02-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Great question. One thing I'm expecting from Ford is a massive option list of accesories including bed covers etc... There is a huge profit margin in this stuff and many people (me included)would just as soon buy this stuff "factory installed". No fooling around, warranty coverage etc... I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere that Ford (& other manufacturers too) let the reputable aftermarket guys (Lund etc) get a prototype well before they hit the streets so the timng is close...
Right now I'd be happy with more pictures than Ford has provided: How about a FX4 Screw? How about a Lariat w/o two-tone? I guess the dealers will get th ordering guides in 2-3 months??????

Old 02-26-2003, 08:17 AM
other people on this board have analysed Ford vs Chev vs Dodge powertrains and if I remember correctly, Ford has had less flywheel HP/torque than Chev or Dodge for the past couple of years but the same amount of rear wheel HP as the Ford has less power loss throught the drive train.

So if the Dodge has all of this power and they lose so much of it to an inefficient drivetrain.... will the Ford still smoke it in 1/4 mile tests?

Old 02-26-2003, 04:18 PM
ruffneck,

I was wondering the same thing regarding the aftermarket accessories being available.

This is my take on it. The manufactures realize how large the "aftermarket" industry is. The large speciality companies are now being brought into the design process for most vehicles. That is why you are seeing vehicles that are not even out yet popping up at the SEMA show (largest accessory/speciality show in the world).

Let's say you want to use your truck for offroading and want specific accessories for it. Would you wait a year and a half after the vehicle has been introduced to buy it, or would you jump over and buy a Silverado that you can outfit right away?

I am like you because I would like to customize it and it will be interesting to see what options are available to us when it goes on sale.

Old 02-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by APT
Bigdeal,

Do you know why people are talking about the Hemi? 1) Advertising. Ford doesn't do it, neither does Chevy, at least for their truck engines. 2) It is a good engine with a lot of power and torque through the powerband mated to a good 5 speed auto.

Reliability of the old trans mated to either the 318 or 360 (5.2L or 5.9L) was terrible. But the 5-speed electronicly controlled auto is better than our lazy 4-speeds.

Pricing of the Hemi vs. a similar F-150 with the current 5.4L is very similar. The Hemi forces the $1100 automatic trans, so does the 5.4L. I bet the prices are within $500 with as close as the same options as you can get.

Before you get all bent out of shape about Dodge's marketing, maybe you should test one for yourself? Find out what the hype is really about. Maybe it is nothing? You haven't really proven that it is the lesser truck, just that it came to the market late with some equipment.
Ok, here's my response to your comments. Since my last post I did go out and test drive a Dodge 1500 SLT 4x4 with the HEMI. After my testdrive, my opinion has not changed. This truck is big, heavy, and crude in comparison to the 2003 F150 SuperCrew. The engine has torque and HP, but as someone else mentioned, it needs it to get this goliath moving. I'd also like to know what you base your comment on regarding the reliability of the new tranny. It's got no history behind the HEMI motor, so I'd think we'd have to wait and let it prove itself. I'd also concur with one of the other posters in this thread about the mediocre fit and finish and cheap materials used inside the truck. Ergonomics and customer usability of the interior is also inferior to our Fords. And, as to your comment about similar pricing, the Dodge I drove was approximately $2,000 more than a comparably equiped Ford F150. The saleman only grinned when I asked him about taking an 'offer' on the truck. His exact comments were, "This is a HEMI truck, and we're moving these as fast as we can get them". Hope they build a lot of them because no other truck inventory appears to be moving on his lot!!

Now, let me make something absolutely clear. I am well aware of the marketing games all of the big three play when advertising their products. What annoys 'me' personally is that Dodge thinks they can shove a mediocre truck with a HEMI motor at me, and with a little marketing, I'll bite. It's what I've said for years, Dodge is #3 in sales to Ford and Chevy for a reason. They do not understand the 'current' truck buyer well enough to build the right product at the right time. Up until this year they haven't had a competitive V8 to offer in their 1500 truck, and they were amost 2.5 years late in coming with a 1500 series four door cab.

I'd make one speculation in closing. I would bet that my 2001 5.4L SuperCrew 4x2 with a few mods (chip, airbox, and exhaust) would give the HEMI truck I drove everything it could handle in a stoplight dual. After having driven both I think I'm qualified to make that speculation.

Old 02-26-2003, 05:39 PM
I think the Dodge will rust before the Ford. Dodge has been known to in the past. This, too, shall pass. The 2005 Lightining will make us even more proud of Ford's accomplishments.

Hemi technology is 30 years old!

Old 02-27-2003, 12:54 AM
30,try 50 years old.The first Desotos with the hemi were out in 51 o 52.Does that make it an antiquated design,no.Hemi has nothing to do with technology it is just the shape of the combustion chamber,Hemispherical as opposed to a wedge shape chamber.The Hemispherical chamber is supposed to increase volumetric eficiancy by way of better flame propogation.The Hemi Dodge is not even in the same catagory as a lightning so you cant compare the 2.The lightning is a special high performance package,the hemi is not its a workhorse engine available now on all models.When Dodge releases the SRT 10 that will be the lightnings competition.

Old 02-27-2003, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the correction...50 years! A dodge is still a dodge.

Old 02-27-2003, 02:01 AM
HEMI is a marketing term. Hell, dont Ford taurus' come with "Hemi's" cause of the hemispherical shape the piston forms????

Old 02-27-2003, 02:22 AM
your wrong Green, hemi are the joints on the 4-link ends for suspencions.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:05 PM
And here I thought those suspension pieces were called heim joints.

Old 03-01-2003, 03:15 AM
STOP IT

Look guys, if our Fords are as superior as you say, then there is no need to bash the other product. Weather you want to believe it or not, the Dodge is not a bad truck. I would buy one any day over a GM. And the comment about the interior being cheap, that is your opinion my friend. I own 2001 F150 4x4 with all the bells and whistles and my OPINION is.... Ford has the cheapest looking interior of all the trucks. Also, I did test drive a 1500 HEMI auto 4x4(3.92 diff), and I can honestly say that my "chipped" 5.4 auto(3.55 diff) would not stand a chance in a straight race! Don't get me wrong guys, I love my truck, but I don't have to talk smack about the opposition to justify my purchase.

Old 03-01-2003, 07:27 AM
I agree with FordboyV8. I've had Fords all my life and enjoy the one I currently have. And Hemi don't mean nothing to me just like Triton don't. But 345 hp speaks volumes, let's face it. And Ford trannys like the one in my new FX4 don't help the Ford camp.
I glanced at some magazine recently and the person who drove the new dodge with 345hp said it felt like it had 50 more then that. Ouch! In my opinion having the hp edge is significant especially if it translates into better performance. Most of us ain't hauling and towing as much stuff as we say so any supposed "real world" Ford advantage really don't amount to much. Have any 1/4 mile times been verified between the two trucks? I realize they are not race cars mind you. That said I hate the front end look of the new dodge; if anything they should of made the grille smaller. They have improved the look of the truck from most other views though. And Ford has lost ground with the look of the '04 F-150 and I'll bet their sales will reflect it. The gap will narrow when the final numbers are added up.

Old 03-01-2003, 07:28 AM
I wanted to say something at this point...but I won't out of good nature.
I once pushed the cigarette lighter through the dashboard of a $55K 99 Suburban.
345 hp at the flywheel holy *****! on a 4x4, too!

Last edited by mf150; 03-01-2003 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:22 PM
Some reviews of the HEMI seem to be mixed. I too read the review you mentioned where they said it felt like it had an extra 50 Hp. Others have said it felt "OK". Keep in mind this was it the 2500. I dorve it. I think it'll probably kick seroius azz at the green light. But then again maybe the new Nissan will do even better? Don't think they're not gunning for the HEMI in terms of powertrain. I'm not knocking Dodges mktng campaign at all. Its great. It will ultimatly force Ford to give us more power too. I do know that if the shoes were reversed and Ford had a 345 HP V8 out right now I'd have to by trojans and imodium just to handle going for a drive!
The numbers on the Hemi look very good. 0-60 on a 2500 2wd DRW @ 8.1 sec!!! In a 2500? I have not read what it can do in a 1500 but it'll have to be 7 to 7.5for a 4wd. Most tests on the current 5.4L (4wd) are around 9.0 or just under 9.0. I doubt 40 hp and 15 ft/lb T will produce much under 8.3-8.5 sec 0-60 in the new (heavier) truck. BUT will I still buy the new Ford, YES. I stand by my comments on the Dodge interior and my prefernce of a full "crew cab". Would I buy the Dodge over a Chevy. Right now, yes I would. BUT I'd also wait for the new Nissan too over the Dodge. (None of this really matters though given I WILL buy the Ford.)

Quick Reply: Hemi vs. 5.4