1997 - 2003 F-150

02 F-150 HD Supercharged edition problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 F-150 HD Supercharged edition problems

Good morning all. New forum member here with some questions about my "new to me" F150. I live in Katy Texas, just west of Houston.

I recently purchased, through a dealer, an '02 Harley Davidson edition F-150 with approximately 72k on the clock.

I know nothing about the PO or what they might have done to this truck with the exception of the FlowMaster pipes on it and the K&N intake. I also don't know if it has a stock tune on it or canned, or custom. Be warned, I'm a complete newbie so I know nothing about these vehicles although I've been trying to read up.

Since purchasing this I've noticed several problems:

1. Cruise control inop
2. Auto door locks inop although the locks work fine by pushing the lock button.
3. Overdrive button inop.

On friday my "Service Engine Soon" light came on and stayed on. My son brought over his diagnostic tool and discovered that a PCV had come loose. We fixed that but while we were in the engine compartment I noticed that the air filter assembly had come lose from the throttle body. I fixed that and also noticed that a small vacuum tube just underneath the airfilter assembly had come loose, I don't know if I pulled it loose when I was messing with the air filter assemply or whether it was disconnected prior to that. Anyway I fixed that also. I also cleaned the throttle body with cleaner.

After putting everything back together I started the beast up. It started fine but immediately died, almost like it wasn't getting enough air or maybe fuel. I started a few more times with the same results. I can keep it running by adding a little throttle but if I dont the revs will drop to below 500rpm and the truck will die. I figured maybe the excess throttle cleaner was putting it too rich and I took it out for a short spin.

Seemed to perform ok once warmed up but I noticed that the RPMs were much lower now than before I hooked everything back up.

So, I didn't drive it anymore yesterday. I got into the truck this morning to come to work and had the same issue with starting and dying although after it warmed up a bit it seemed to be less of a problem. However, on my way to work, a 30 mile jaunt, the Service Engine Soon light came back on and as soon as I got into the parking garge and put it in park it died. (FYI, the battery seems to be good)

So, these are my problems and I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has any advice on either probs 1-3 or on the truck dying aspect.

Thanks!

Marc
Katy, Texas

Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like an idle air control problem or something with that department. If you just bought it, why is the dealer not looking into this problem?

BTW, welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase

Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 PM
glc
Received 764 Likes on 707 Posts
Please post the exact P-number codes.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Well, was able to make it home, from work, yesterday and opened up the hood and took a look. It appears that while I was messing with the cold air intake I disconnected a hose or two. Put them back together and now the truck runs just fine. So looks like that particular problem is eligible for a DA award on my part.

Now I just have the original problems, 1, 2 and 3.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1.the cruise control could be caused by the harness being disconnected from the brake booster assembly. check that. there was a recall for them catching on fire due to a leaky sensor.

3. does the light just not come on when you press it or will the truck not come out of OD once you push the button?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Call the Ford dealer and see of yours has ahad the recall fixed. Explain more about the locks.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM
If the recall has been done you still may need to replace the switch. If the switch wasn't leaking when the recall was fixed they didn't put the revised switch in and only put the new harness in with the fuses. There's a thread here that shows the diagnostic procedure for the CC. About 25 bucks and 10 minutes to install if you have the tools.

Are the batteries in the key fob good? Are the key fobs programmed to the truck? When I asked the salesman about keys and key fobs he handed me a fob that he happened to have in his desk. If they didn't give you two keys that's another issue you should bring up because it will cost you to have the second one programmed, something I didn't know until after I bought my truck. If you have both keys, look in the owners manual or in the technical articles section on how to program the key fobs just to make sure.

I know when I bought my truck, in Killeen, I took it back a couple months after I found the rear window was leaking. I told them they knew damn well I wouldn't have bought it if without making them fix it if I knew the rear window was leaking. If you stay on them they should fix your issues, granted most of that stuff should have been taken care of before they sold it.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Just a note to the op, if you knock a vacuum line off a ford, it will run like crap, if at all. Every ford I've had has been this way. I knocked one off my ranger and it made it lope like a top fuel dragster when I started it!

Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM
OD problem check the fuze.
also need to think about an oil separator and cleaning the intercooler

Quick Reply: 02 F-150 HD Supercharged edition problems