1997 - 2003 F-150

Starting the V10 swap in 99 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there is someone on here that had i do believe an eaton on the 6.8 in an excursion.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by str8t six
you can run up to 12# of boost and thats pushing the limit, but i would keep it at 8psi just to be safe.
REALLY? Stock fuel system and everything? Damn... that would be badasssss.

I popped the headgasket on my Lexus at 12 PSI, but it was also 10.5:1 compression. Now it's 9.3:1 and has ARP head studs, but I digress...

Here's some pictures!

Maybe I'll clean this up someday...

I think this is my favorite picture of the whole swap

Old 04-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-03-2012, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by trav2210

boost!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
no, you would need bigger injectors and fuel pump.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 PM

Here's the video showing how fast it ISN'T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2eEzfLtZdk

Old 04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
Here's the video showing how fast it ISN'T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2eEzfLtZdk
ain't bad, better than my 4.6!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM

Looks about the same as this 4.6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXRaor3prEU

Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
.... touche.... haven't drove my truck in a while, and now that my car is done it may be for sale soon...

Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can never get used to seeing a speedometer in MPH...

Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by chrmar
I can never get used to seeing a speedometer in MPH...
I can never get used to seeing a speedometer in Km/h

Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 PM

I drove the V10 truck on a fairly lengthy road trip last week. Tucson, AZ to San Francisco, CA and back of course. I'm happy to report that I had no mechanical problems. My fuel economy calculated at ~15 MPG, but I later was informed by a CA COP that my speedo reads significantly slow - like 20%. I got my first speeding ticket in over 20 years - 89 in a 65. I guess that means my mileage was actually ~18 MPG.

I was fully loaded with 4 adults, my handicap scooter, spare batteries for the scooter, 6 gallons of water, luggage, tools, beer, winch, etc so all in all, 18 MPG isn't too bad for 415 cubes.

I must say that the the V10 was fantastic on hill climbs at speed. It rarely had to downshift to maintain speed in spots where I had to floor it with the V8.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
An awfull lot of hassle to put up with after reading all the posts.
Before ever starting a swap with unknowns, all research and understanding of the PCM to motor and PATS relationships should be known.
Certainly a dealer would never want to have anything to do with such a hassle because there are no gaurrenties about anything and even they don't know any more than anyone else about such swap attempts..
Using any hardware and PCM driving a dash expeciting pulse rates to be the same is a no go right away.
For PATS, there is a word in program that has to have the correct bits set for the PATS to work, the correct gear ratio, the correct tire size etc.
Transmissions have different wiring, converter lockups,and pressure control needs between E4OD, 4R70 and 4R100. If there were interchangable, there would not be a problem, but not so.
With a swap there are so many upsets taking place that it's no wonder there are many issues, guessing, money spent etc then even if something works, it's often not right.
I normally don't get involed in these threads but could have told you you would have many issues before it was even close to working.
This is why there are words called 'Engineer', and engineering.
Trying to be one in the back yard is a tough way to go when dealing with computer control and you have no way to do software let alone match up hardware..
The only way to go for such a swap attempt is to buy or have access to a complete V10 truck for all parts and to use all of the running gear, computer and everything that can be tranferred over.
Then you are left with exhaust, cooling and lessor items to work out without so much deep 'engenerring' to accomplish.
It's would be much easier to put F150 Emblems on an F250 V10 and call it a day. You end up with the same thing as a swap a lot cheaper and more reliable.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 05-15-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
An awful lot of hassle to put up with after reading all the posts.
Before ever starting a swap with unknowns, all research and understanding of the PCM to motor and PATS relationships should be known.
Certainly a dealer would never want to have anything to do with such a hassle because there are no guarantees about anything and even they don't know any more than anyone else about such swap attempts..
Using any hardware and PCM driving a dash expecting pulse rates to be the same is a no go right away.
For PATS, there is a word in program that has to have the correct bits set for the PATS to work, the correct gear ratio, the correct tire size etc.
Transmissions have different wiring, converter lockups,and pressure control needs between E4OD, 4R70 and 4R100. If they were interchangeable, there would not be a problem, but not so.
With a swap there are so many upsets taking place that it's no wonder there are many issues, guessing, money spent etc then even if something works, it's often not right.
I normally don't get involved in these threads but could have told you you would have many issues before it was even close to working.
This is why there are words called 'Engineer', and engineering.
Trying to be one in the back yard is a tough way to go when dealing with computer control and you have no way to do software let alone match up hardware..
The only way to go for such a swap attempt is to buy or have access to a complete V10 truck for all parts and to use all of the running gear, computer and everything that can be transferred over.
Then you are left with exhaust, cooling and lessor items to work out without so much deep 'engineering' to accomplish.
It's would be much easier to put F150 Emblems on an F250 V10 and call it a day. You end up with the same thing as a swap a lot cheaper and more reliable.
Good luck.
That's a very dry and logical approach, but you missed the point. I can see why you don't normally get involved in these threads. Some of us climb the mountain because it's there, or take the long way home just for the experience. I truly enjoy a challenge. I take a lot of personal satisfaction in knowing I'm the first person to overcome the electronic issues of the swap with innovative solutions. I don't know if you read the entire thread, but I think it's pretty badass that I'm running the two PCM's in parallel to authenticate to PATS and hijacking the speed signal to feed a different ABS module for the translation to make the speedometer function.

FYI, my title at my job is Systems Engineer. I'm a problem solver. My company pays for me to fly around the country (or drive if I choose to do so) to solve problems. It's what I do. It defines who I am, and I'm very good at it.

My point of all the blabber above is that I knew going into this that there would be issues. I expected to deal with PATS and I expected there would be unexpected issues.

BTW, I corrected all the misspellings in your post when I quoted it. I know most people don't care, but that stuff bugs me. Hope you don't mind.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
It's been done and fairly simply- I already tried to tell you earlier where to look and what to do. You ignored it. A problem solver doesn't do that. At least a good one doesn't.

Look way back in this thread, you'll see.

Quick Reply: Starting the V10 swap in 99 F-150